Dark_Horse 302 Stroker Turbo Build...Here we go!!

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Wont be long until it will be ready to go back in... Ordered engine mount adapters and a new timing set today... I will be picking up my heads tomorrow afternoon... Just need to get the right head gaskets ordered. I am getting excited!!

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Just mocked up and sitting there but I think the little bit of color under the hood is going to look awesome... especially since my car is pretty much blacked out... Still waiting on that JPC intake of course but looks like I will be waiting a long time... so the stocker is gonna have to work for now...

Last edited:

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks... got my timing kit and motor mounts in.. just waiting on head gaskets and we can get going on this... got my timing cover powder coated black as well...

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
I thought about getting some of those valve covers but im the only one who ever sees my engine. Plus i probably would be too lazy to keep them clean haha.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
I thought about getting some of those valve covers but im the only one who ever sees my engine. Plus i probably would be too lazy to keep them clean haha.

I still do the car show scene every once in awhile and they were a craigslist find for 100 bucks so I said why not...

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
I am worried since heads have been extensively ported that my stock intake isn't going to fit and seal up... I think they were matched with JPC intake and only lord knows how long it will take me to get one of those.

Hoping that once I get the heads torqued down it will pull them closer together....

Fingers crossed

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
I am worried since heads have been extensively ported that my stock intake isn't going to fit and seal up... I think they were matched with JPC intake and only lord knows how long it will take me to get one of those.

Hoping that once I get the heads torqued down it will pull them closer together....

Fingers crossed

That would be correct if they port matched the with the JPC Intake.

I hope they didnt.

Can you get a comparison between your stocker and the JPC see how much different they are

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
That would be correct if they port matched the with the JPC Intake.

I hope they didnt.

Can you get a comparison between your stocker and the JPC see how much different they are

Probably not... But you know what as a sit here thinking about it I wasn't considering the delete plate in there... I need to take a gasket out and lay it over the hole just to see how close it is...

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
use the steeda billet plates as those are the ones i used with the jpc intake and thats the part that is in between the heads and the intake.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah thats what I figured Ed... powder coater just dropped my timing cover off... looks good

20130802_003806_zps4f9d403a.jpg

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Well my head gaskets came in today... guess that means I can get to work on this motor...

question...how many of you after aligning the colored chain links with their appropriate marks on the cam gears was the cam timing spot on... I obviously will checking to make sure just am curious if I will need the adjustable cam gears or not...

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Heads and cams torqued down...
Also made sure everything was nice and lubricated...
Joe Gibss assembly grease on the cam caps
Joe Gibbs HVL on cam lobes, rockers and lash adjusters

Headed out of town tomorrow and will pick back up on it Sunday night...

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Timing components installed. All the marks and colored chains are aligned with with RH cam at 11 oclock and the LH cam at 12 Oclock.

I do have a concern that the LH chain seems to be a little loose on the lower section. Is this normal? Could it be that I have it installed it wrong? Everything lines up good as far as timing marks. Maybe I'm just being paranoid lol.

The RH side is all nice and tight.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Hopefully the guy who did the machine work and assembled my short block can stop by tomorrow to verify the cam timing.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Timing components installed. All the marks and colored chains are aligned with with RH cam at 11 oclock and the LH cam at 12 Oclock.

I do have a concern that the LH chain seems to be a little loose on the lower section. Is this normal? Could it be that I have it installed it wrong? Everything lines up good as far as timing marks. Maybe I'm just being paranoid lol.

The RH side is all nice and tight.

More than likely it's just compression holding the cam in place and causing the slack. A rotation of the crank should equalize the chain tension.

The other thing that can happen is the guides can be installed on the wrong sides. It doesn't look like it from here but it can happen fairly easy.

Back