Datalog help...

DSargent09

Get iT!
Reaction score
I need to know what the Knock sensor should read when datalogging on a stock Coyote.. I noticed in one tune it read 0, in another it read .38 and now it is supposed to be returned to stock and is reading .5.... Im having trouble taking a screen shot also....

Bender

Reaction score
Pretty sure it is supposed to read 0. Mine was when I data logged and when I spoke with the tunner about it he said that's what you want.

DSargent09

Get iT!
Reaction score
Now I'm worried. How can i completely reset my computer... It's supposed to be stock and if this is the case it's time to trade her in lol.

We're you stock at the time?

Last edited by a moderator:

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
There seem to be two versions of the KS PID. One reads in volts, usually around 0.35 or so, and the other reads in degrees of reduction, and usually sits at 0, stepping negative to as much as -6 degrees in 1/2 degree steps. I've seen both; the second one is useful, the first one is not. Which one you get to see in a log depends on who tuned the engine.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
youre going to have some knock at times, even stock lol, thats what these cars have knock sensors for, what are you scared of?

DSargent09

Get iT!
Reaction score
Here is my story.... I have heard a lot of horror stories so I am a little worried after making some bad decisions with my car from the start....

I let a shop near by tune it that I thought was good... a few car meets and track trips later and all I hear is how the guy is blowing stuff on purpose so people with deep pockets will spend money in his shop....

Got scared plugged in my programmer, and just clicked on the built in tune for 93 octane.... ran that just for the night at the track, everything ran fine, but still paranoid I had decided to return my car to stock until my pocket could afford to play....

Returned to stock and datalogged and here I am.... it stayed at .5 the whole time. What should I log and check. I worry that because I clicked on that tune before going stock first that maybe it screwed up... I also worry that although I may think I'm stock the guy who tuned could have easily saved the first tune he put on as the stock one once he put the second one on.... had it tuned before intake then again once it was on.

Anyways. Side notes. I'm 21 and work very fing hard for what I have. I'am not upside down I only owe 22k. Can easily jump in a 2013. So what should I log and look at.

Lets make this a really useful tech thread about datalogging including normal values and things... I couldn't find much searching.

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
Check your AF ratios and do this through a short spirited run through the gears. I think you might be parinoid a bit as i could not imagine a shop purposly tuning you lean to damage your motor so you would spend big bucks on it...If you truly believe that then get a reliable tune from one of our vendors here ie Lund or AM or any other here that offer mail order ....Id never go back to this guy again if you really truly know that hes capable of that shit

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
you really gotta be careful who you let tune these new 5.0's, they dont respond to the same type of tuning the previous Mustangs do, Id contact one of the reputable tuners and get a mail order tune (Bama, Lund, AED are a few) at this point Id run the stock tune before I ran the SCT strategy tune. you need to use the search function, you find enough useful material to educate you on what you want to know

Bender

Reaction score
When you data logged it did you use just the hand held or did you do it using a laptop connected to the handheld? If you didn't do it with a laptop I would log it again with a laptop using livelink.

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Returned to stock and datalogged and here I am.... it stayed at .5 the whole time. What should I log and check. I worry that because I clicked on that tune before going stock first that maybe it screwed up... I also worry that although I may think I'm stock the guy who tuned could have easily saved the first tune he put on as the stock one once he put the second one on.... had it tuned before intake then again once it was on.

If you are logging other params at the same time try a log with just knock. There are some pids that seem to "freeze" and not update the value accurately in the log when logging is ran with other pids. I've heard from people that knock is one of those. Tranny temp seems to lock up the log value when logged with other pids as well. When I want to log it I have to set it as the only value to be logged.

DSargent09

Get iT!
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the insight. So does anyone know what knock is normal for a stock one... I will try logging again soon and only logging knock.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the insight. So does anyone know what knock is normal for a stock one... I will try logging again soon and only logging knock.
The best advise has already been given. Flash to stock until you get a tune from a more reputable vendor. Let that tuner explain how to datalog knock. Unless you're trying to find timing pulled, the knock value is not a static number. It measures engine 'noise' and can be seen to climb as rpms increase. Big spikes in that graph would indicate "knock". It's kinda hard to say there's just one value you're looking for, as it really depends on what the car was doing in that particular moment in time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DSargent09

Get iT!
Reaction score
Guys you all have missed an important part of what I said. "I decided to return my car to stock until I can afford to play"

This .5 on the knock sensor is while data logging stock, and never moves stays at .5 whole time no matter what. So I'm fine?

This is why I was requesting insight on a stock data log.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
there are going to be times that you get some knock, even stock, it happens, as I said earlier, this is why these cars have knock sensors. there is no set amount of knock that youre going to get on a stock or performance tune, some low quality gas could be causing a bit of knock. have you done a search yet? there is a shit ton of good info on this board that will keep you busy and educate you

DSargent09

Get iT!
Reaction score
I actually did a search prior to making this thread and couldn't find squat.

Correct me if I'm wrong. As long as the knock sensor isn't spiking or anything like that I'm fine?

5PointOHNO

forum member
Reaction score
What was the temperature when you logged that knock? what grade of fuel? Was it logged using the SCT software or just the handheld?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I actually did a search prior to making this thread and couldn't find squat.

Correct me if I'm wrong. As long as the knock sensor isn't spiking or anything like that I'm fine?

Even stock your car will knock. Higher the octane, more resistance to detonation. A few degrees for a few seconds is nothing to worry about when you're driving the car hard.

Mods like headers are also known to throw off some false knock.

All a knock sensor is, is really just a microphone listening for noise.

DSargent09

Get iT!
Reaction score
It was about 87 out side. Car was cold. Went for about a five minute cruise and it stayed at .5 the whole time. I never run anything but 93 in it. I was logging using SCT Software... going to go log again right now.

DSargent09

Get iT!
Reaction score
new datalog had it surging or spiking from .6- .8.... started at 1.04 when I started the car....

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
It's going to explode, you best go trade it in immediately.

In all seriousness, you're worrying over nothing.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back