Dealer scratched up my fender

HOTRODD77

forum member
Reaction score
So I was having some work done at the dealer and had to leave it for a few days. I picked it up Wednesday after work and went home. I went to get in it today after work and noticed on the front fender, over the wheel well a bunch of scratches! It looks like some one was leaning over into the hood and had something(buckle, etc) just going to town, scratching the hell out of it. I would think they would use a fender cover or something. There are a bunch of scratches in an are prob 8" around or something, but none are deep. A couple of them I can barely feel when I pass a fingernail over them. Anyway, here's the question: Should I go and try to get them to fix it, or try to buff it out myself? I'm not sure how much I trust these yahoos playing with the paint on my car. I bought the car used and it has quite the collection of swirl marks, so I planned on getting the whole thing buffed out soon anyway. You guys think these can be buffed out pretty easily?
DSCF2603.JPG

DSCF2605.JPG
It was sprinkling a bit before I dropped it off, and that plus all the pollen around here = dirty; especially after sitting for a few days. Didn't notice anything at first.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Take it back to them and tell them to fix it since they decided to fuck it all up... Or look for the homo wearing a belt buckle a personally thank him.

08stang

forum member
Reaction score
good luck getting anywhere with the dealer i took my car in for a check engine light a few months after i bought it and the retards in the shop drove it on to the lift and didnt use the e brake so when he opened the door to get out it rolled back leaving a nice sharp crease along the edge of the open door where it hit the I beam i called them on it before i even got into the car to drive it off the lot and all i got was that was there before. it even rubbed the bright blue paint off the lift and onto the door. i went as hi as i could with out talking to the owner of the dealership about it and got no where needless to say that was the first and last time i took it to that shop and will not be buying any more cars from them in the future.

dmhines

KONA GT
Reaction score
Both the local Ford Dealer and Jeep Dealer I take my vehicles to do a complete walk-around and mark any damage before taking the vehicle ... even if it's just an oil change. I also just had new gears put in my Jeep at a 4WD shop ... they did the same thing .. complete walk around before accepting the vehicle.

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like its pretty deep. One of the reasons why I don't like anyone touching my car, lol even my wife. I would definitely raise hell and have them fix the scratches.

HOTRODD77

forum member
Reaction score
Trust me, everything you guys have said is exactly what I'm saying to myself in my head. I'm pissed, I just don't know if I want the headache of dealing with the dealer anymore. I'm just pissed I didn't look it over better before I left.

keith88lx

forum member
Reaction score
Back when I was 18, I went to a shop to pick up my car. When I got there, the hood of a car sitting next to mine was up, when I walked up to my car, there were tools sitting all over my hood! I raised all kinds of hell, tried to speak to the owner, but I got no where. It took a pissed off 48 year old man (dad) for them to finally listen about the issue. They had to pay to have the hood repainted.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got two issues with this.

You're gonna take it back and claim they scratched it...but you had it for a day before "noticing" it. So, if I'm the manager, I'm gonna ask you: "How do we know we did this? For all I know, this happened when you took it home."

Second, I don't trust other people do do things right. I'd be trying to repair it myself.

Of course, you can always ask the dealer to fix it. No guarantee they will accept blame, or even fix the problem if they try...but it's worth a shot.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I'd be furious! However, I also would have looked it over real good before picking it up. I'm pretty particular about my paint, and don't trust anyone around it.

ixtlan

Reaction score
Let the dealer have the chance to make it right.
If they give you crap then get a hold of Ford direct.
Put the pressure on.
Ford is generally not happy with bad customer service from their dealers.
The dealer most likely wont do the work anyway but some local body shop.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
You can turn it into your insurance and tell them what happened. Then they will in turn use their muscle to get the money out of the dealership. Of course, you'd need to contact the dealer first and see if they blow you off.

HOTRODD77

forum member
Reaction score
Well, finally had a chance to wash my car today(111 heat index was nothin' nice), and the scratches don't look quite as bad as I thought. Still bad, but I am pretty sure they can be buffed out. I'm going to look again in the morning. My 1st stop tomorrow will be the dealer. Wish me luck.

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not bashing on the folks that works at the dealer but its just ridiculous sometimes. Some of them just don't have the respect, I mean you take your Ford car or truck to a Ford dealer they should be at least proud! well that's what I think they should do.
My last Ford dealer visit for a courtesy oil change, I ended up on the side of the road with my hood up trying to figure out why my car was sputtering and the check engine light came on. Here the vac line for my bypass valve was disconnected and was set aside. Was running perfectly fine before! why did they have to mess with the vac line to change oil? I do not know.
Sorry to blabber, but good luck man! let us know how it goes.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
James I go to Malouf on route #1 where I bought the car they all seem to take pride in the work they do.My car is rather highly modified and the crew there loves to see it come in .

Shockey

Reaction score
For sure give the dealer a chance to fix it. Be matter of fact, don't go in pissed off.
He will either say no way or be glad to fix it.
Nothing lost to give it a go.

If he does step up and fix it, then you know you have a good dealer to work with on future projects.

Good luck!

uniquestang

forum member
Reaction score
been in this situation before. i had some body work done and long story short i picked up the car went straight home and the wife pointed out some new scratch marks i didnt notice when i picked it up. i went straight back to the body shop and was only gone with my car for 15 minutes. they denied responsibility even though i was gone for a mere 15 minutes. i argued enough with them though they took it back and fixed it (still denying it was their fault though). they claimed to fix it to resolve the situation and take care of their customers but still did not take responsibility for it.

Deimos

forum member
Reaction score
If you want it done right you will need to lawyer up. There is no other way around it.

Back