dealership troubles, recent purchase

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Dealerships make money on financing and the service department. The cars are just there to get you into one of those two departments.

luckychance

forum member
Reaction score
had the same thing happen to me, dealership gave me an option to add leather and paint protection for a lower loan % otherwise i could take it off and get 1% lower. very shady. went with the lower percentage and after looking online found out i could have the protection cancelled within a certain time. they bitched and moaned and after a month finally got them to take it off. I went to my bank and got a lower rate and got rid of the dealership loan. from what im told by other peeps, get a pre loan from bank, try to finance high to get the lowest price at the dealership. agree on that price and then tell them youre using your own finance.

cschoening09

forum member
Reaction score
well, gave them a call, sounds like its getting straightened out so far, waiting for a call back. they were suprised to hear about the little hail dings.

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
Go talk to a lawyer,if the paper work has on it no damages,then you have a case to make them make it right. You always have 36 hrs to back out of a contract on a vehicle,it's a federal law... after the 36 hrs is up, then it's time to talk to lawyer.wish you the best..

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Are you sure about 36 hrs being federal? Some states high pressure law limits for changing your mind. Some do not. Just curious

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Go talk to a lawyer,if the paper work has on it no damages,then you have a case to make them make it right. You always have 36 hrs to back out of a contract on a vehicle,it's a federal law... after the 36 hrs is up, then it's time to talk to lawyer.wish you the best..

I believe you're confusing the FTC's 72hr Cooling-Off Rule which deals with cold calls and door-to-door sales, That rule doesn't apply to auto loans.

I do agree the OP needs to talk to the dealership and hopefully they can work it out.

Retaining a Consumer Lawyer wont get him anywhere, other than lightening his wallet even more.

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score

This isn't true, and lawyers don't "talk" or work for free. He owns the car. Period. Hire a lawyer and spend lots, resolve little.

cschoening09

forum member
Reaction score
lawers around here are like $100/hr. to talk to . they're working with me pretty good, got the extra charges issue resolved, and it sounds like they will fix the dents in the roof....fingers crossed, they better.

RetiredSFC 97

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. All you can do is call them on it. Sometimes a finance company demands the gap coverage, so it may be them and it may not be. The paint protection? On 2014 imo it may be worth the piece of mind, but that's just me. I've heard of people having trouble with flaking paint on new Mustangs. On another forum there's a guy having fits over his.

But I would definitely call them on the hail damage. No ifs ands or buts.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
well, gave them a call, sounds like its getting straightened out so far, waiting for a call back. they were suprised to hear about the little hail dings.

I bet they were surprised. NOT!

I just bought this 07 GT recently and when I bought the car the dealership sold me a 4 year 48K mile warranty for 2K. Then after I bought the car I found out the car has a magnaflow catback, 4.10 gears, CAI and probably a tune. I called the dealership and told them they sold me a warrany that was voided before it even began and asked for my money back (the 2K that the extended warranty cost).

The dealership had me come back in to sign a document that terminates the warranty. Only problem is that I had put 5K miles on the car so the insurance company will not refund the whole amount. I probably lost 200-300 dollars. And what do you think the dealership said to me when I confronted them on this?

"Sorry but that's how it goes. We didn't know the car was modded so we are not going to take any responsibility for any money lost on the warranty."

Great customer service there. Oh well, live and learn I guess. I hope it all works out for you.

Good Luck!

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Are you sure about 36 hrs being federal? Some states high pressure law limits for changing your mind. Some do not. Just curious

It is not a federal law. My grandfather got screwed bad by being to proud not bring me or my Dad with him when he bought a shity new Kia. Like tacked on a 3000 dollar far market adjustment price for the car. What Kia is worth 3K over MSRP? Anyway we tryed to get dealership take car back next day. In NJ, once you sign for car its yours, no buyers remorse law unless dealership wants to take it back volunteering.

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Op your doing it right. Just give them a chance to make it right with you before you get pissey with them

04DarkShadowGT

forum member
Reaction score
It is not a federal law. My grandfather got screwed bad by being to proud not bring me or my Dad with him when he bought a shity new Kia. Like tacked on a 3000 dollar far market adjustment price for the car. What Kia is worth 3K over MSRP? Anyway we tryed to get dealership take car back next day. In NJ, once you sign for car its yours, no buyers remorse law unless dealership wants to take it back volunteering.

Same way in most states. There are only a few things that there is a period where you can cancel a contract. Things like ADT alarm contracts, in home sales deals, etc. Very few things.

We had a similar situation my wifes car. I was in the lobby dealing with our son, we had all the finances worked out or so I thought. They swindled an extended warranty out of her. We cancelled it within a week, no issues cancelling it and they took that amount off the loan balance within a month. It was lesson learned for her and me for not staying in the room at all times.

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
It's been a good while since I tried to purchase a vehicle , but back in 2003 a lawyer told me about the law, a lot of people don't know about it. might not be like that any more. On any car/vehicle sale you have 36 hrs to back out of the deal, no more than 36 hrs,but it was that at one time. I know for a fact ,because i've done it in the past...

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
Not like that in Ga. I took a truck back before and they didn't want to take it back ,but after I contacted my lawyer and he quoted my the statue to tell them,which can't remember anymore ,they took truck back no questions asked.. Far as now days I'm not sure...

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
^ I'm pretty sure your lawyer quoted a State statute. Doesn't apply in the other 49 states unless they also have similar laws.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I used to run the finance side of things at a big dealer long ago. I wasn't the guy in "the box", they worked for me (sorta). I handled all the paperwork, dealt with the banks, got people financed, organized the department and played de-facto Sales Manager too.

Anyway, you're probably screwed. You signed it, it's yours. The F&I guys we had were rotten fucks. They slammed people with stuff all day every day. I never once saw a contract get reversed. And trust me, people tried.

You really should have the gap insurance. I get it on all of my car loans (aside from leases of course). Gap has saved my ass more than once. And it's cheap, or should be. I'll bet he over charged you for it. But at least you have it.

These days I would suggest everyone pull out their handy smart phone and either record of video their entire time in the F&I office. With evidence like that one could get contracts voided. And or F&I guys fired/brought up on fraud charges.

A little "how dirty are F&I guys story". A few months ago I got a Focus for commuting. I know my sales guy really well. Before I cam in to pick it up I told him to just type it up I'm not taking anything. He said no problem (I do this every time). He calls me back when I am on the way there and tells me the F&I guy won't type the paperwork until he talks to me. Fine, whatever, I guess I get to have a little fun with the F&I guy.

So F&I guy gets me in the office and I tell him before he can even start talking that I was a F&I guy, I'm not buying ANYTHING and he may as well save himself the trouble and just type it up. He says "I am required to offer you this stuff by law". BULLSHIT I yell at him across his desk and I just lay into him. I was giving it to him good, and loud when the Sales Manager came rushing in with my sales guy in tow. I had the F&I guy leaned back in his chair as far as he could get away from me and stunned silent. Long story short it ended up with me yelling at him "TYPE MY FUCKING PAPERWORK STRIPPED" and I walked out of the office. Can't say I didn't warn him.:clap:

My sales guy and the sales manager were laughing their ass off when we got back out into the showroom. They thought it was hilarious. Most of the time Sales guys do not like the F&I guys at all.

Good luck man, enjoy your car.

cschoening09

forum member
Reaction score
im still waiting to hear back about the hail damage situtation. they better make that right over anything. it would be a cheap fix on their part, the gap coverage was an $800 charge, but my own insurance has that anyways so im not paying for it again. the AUTOPERFECT was $895, covers door dings and anything that doesnt need paint or body, pretty much PDR repair. no deductible or anything out of my pocket to fix the stuff. both are a matter of filling out cancellation forms. btw i figured out that when i signed it he had half the paper folded over so that i couldnt see the loan term had been extended.... shady

this was my first time buying a car from a dealership so this paperwork bullshit is all new. i didint know what to look for/expect. ive always bought my cars privately.

Last edited:

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Most of the time Sales guys do not like the F&I guys at all.

Can confirm. There were a few who were alright in my dealership years, but 90% of them were shady as fuck and I've had a couple of them cut into my numbers to bump their own and keep the payments the same for the customer. Also had a couple of them run sold customers out of the dealership by being greedy assholes after I had the sale closed.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back