Decided to check #8 spark plug just cause oil on threads don't tell me!!!

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
Pulled my #8 spark plug today just for the hell of it and it didn't look as good as I thought it would. There was oil on the threads and the tip although not too bad was like charcoal. Any thoughts? I've never had a check engine light or misfire codes. It runs good, no smoke.

Reaction score
Yea, its not working. Go to photobucket or something of the sort.

The inside of the spark plug porcelain should be paperbag brown, but you're not going to get a good idea of your plug condition with the car just idling. IE turning off the car from driving it or letting it sit in the drive way. Best thing to do is do a WOT throttle run as best you can, shut the engine off safely, then roll to a stop and pull the plug. You don't have to be in 5th gear 100MPH+, 1st gear is fine. I did mine this way and it was just as I described.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
What 302 said.

Oil on the threads is normal. When you say "on the tip", I assume you are talking about the ground strap. This is also pretty common because most people scrape the tip of the plug pulling it out or, the plug drops out of the socket and oil gets on the tip. Pics would really help. Using Tapatalk allows you to post pics directly to the forums from your iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Reaction score
Dude, take a picture of the inside of the plug not the ground strap. Do a real plug run, and if you're real scared just datalog the car and send it to your tuner. If your tuner blows you off, return the vehicle back to stock and leave it or find a better tuner. Honestly, there was a thread posted here of a fouled #8 plug and that looks no where near like it. I think gig4fun was the OP of the thread. I know the OP was a mod and it was in 5.0L performance where others along with myself posted their #8 plugs. Just do a stare and compare.

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
My car is stock. I'll take it out again tomorrow and get more pics. I was looking for that thread but wasn't sure if it was here or allfords. Thanks.

Reaction score
My car is stock. I'll take it out again tomorrow and get more pics. I was looking for that thread but wasn't sure if it was here or allfords. Thanks.

Haha if it's stock you got nothing to worry about.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
post-2-1238787327.jpg

stang1971

forum member
Reaction score
mine looked like that too... then i took out the other 7... guess what... they looked the same as my #8.... oil on the threads on EVERY one... my car has 21,000 miles of HARD driving... i am not nice to this car... i would think that if it was gonna break it would have by now... take ur others out... i bet if you mixed them up you would never know which was which.

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
It's been stock for over a year now, I was running a steeda tune and went back to stick after all the #8 hype and that's around when I noticed my car had the now infamous after oil change tick. But it's been stock ever since.

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
looks fine to me, Im sure others will chime in but youre being paranoid

I'm sure I am being paranoid. This is the favorite car I've owned, the most expensive and the one with the most bullsh$it associated with it. Oil consumption after 10k miles, engine rattles, knocks, fear of modding to not blow motor up. I'm not complaining, and I know everytime I ask a question regarding this engine I automatically don a flamesuit. I do appreciate the help and reassurance.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back