deep scratches on windo

limetym

forum member
Reaction score
Dont know if this is the right place to ask this but here we go. The other day i got in a hurry after work and decided to scrape the ice off my windows and i guess there was some fallout from the foundry by where i work on my window. long story short i got home and noticed my front window was scratched.:mad2: The scratches are deep enough to catch with your nail. I was wondering if there was any way to get rid of them without haveing to get a new windshield. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Limetime

forum member
Reaction score
Move to Florida new front windshield for life, due to are truck drivers

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Sanding, buffing and polishing is possible. But a royal pain with the possibility of warping the glass. Usually left for classic cars where replacement glass isn't readily available.

limetym

forum member
Reaction score
gona stop by my moms cousins shop tomorrow and find out my options. have a feeling its gona involve a new windshield. oh well

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Don't know about Indiana but back in California, the windshields are pretty cheap. I've gotten mine replaced on a variety of cars for $100 even and it takes all of 20 minutes for them to do it.

Mr.

forum member
Reaction score
Cerium oxide based compound + rotary. Wetsanding will get out the scratch, but from what I know cerium oxide is the only type of compound that will get out the wetsanding scratches. Regular rubbing compound won't work.

limetym

forum member
Reaction score
think i might just get a new windshield. not wanting to end up with a wavy window. thanks for the replies everyone.

shad2009

forum member
Reaction score
move to Massachusetts...window replacement is free :)

good luck finding a solution

Back