Defining Modern Muscle: Power vs Sound. What life you about!?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
we test drove a bmw that had that auto shut off feature on it (my wife didn't know), when it shut off at the first red light we stopped at (she was driving), the look on her face was priceless. I played along for a little bit that she broke it, she was freaking out big time.

I've always thought that the subaru's sounded like they had a couple of loose plug wires. But I agree, they sound way better than a honda

travelers

Reaction score
There was one of those BMWs that shut off at light in front of me the other day and I had to weight for it to start before I almost hit him in the rear... If you have to move in an emergency your screwed

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
There was one of those BMWs that shut off at light in front of me the other day and I had to weight for it to start before I almost hit him in the rear... If you have to move in an emergency your screwed

The engine usually fires up as you start lifting the foot off the brake pedal.
Sounds like it was either misbehaving or the driver was asleep at the wheel.
If you're in front of me and we get green, I give about a second before I beep to wake your ass up and get you moving.
Patience? I tell my wife that's something doctors deal with :) (yes, different spelling, don't care - same pronunciation)

travelers

Reaction score
The engine usually fires up as you start lifting the foot off the brake pedal.
Sounds like it was either misbehaving or the driver was asleep at the wheel.
If you're in front of me and we get green, I give about a second before I beep to wake your ass up and get you moving.
Patience? I tell my wife that's something doctors deal with :) (yes, different spelling, don't care - same pronunciation)

I'm the same way. If you not moving I'm ready to give you a push to help you get moving...... My 2011 Ranger is a 4.0 v6 auto with 4:11 gears so I'm ready to get moving when the light changes....:clap:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I am not down with the louder is better crew, I love a good tone. Which is why I have 4 mufflers on my car. Loud is just noise, it's hard to make a mustang sound shitty but some people get close with the loudness but it doesn't compare to the crap level of a loud 4 cylinder.

WARNING, CRINGE VIDEO!
That exhaust at 0:52 actually sounds pretty good . . . . for a 1960's MGB or Triumph, where that's exactly the kind of sound you expect to hear from those cars.

I won't ever make this or any future Mustang loud. I may pick up a couple of decibels at some rpms when the X-pipe goes on, and it might even get quieter by a dB or two under other conditions. Intentionally sounding different from the street-race and lifted truck crowds will be reward enough.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I agree, and also don't care for how a V10 viper or pick-up sounds with loud exhaust. Some of the high end, European V10's, and V12's sound decent though. Veyron's, and Chiron's sound good me too, but that might be just because of the power I'm aware of them making!
Ever hear a Ferrari F430? It's what a FPC V8 engine is supposed to sound like.

Norm

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I'm the same way. If you not moving I'm ready to give you a push to help you get moving...... My 2011 Ranger is a 4.0 v6 auto with 4:11 gears so I'm ready to get moving when the light changes....:clap:

Lol ... I had a 2001 Ranger with the 4.0 and 4.10 gears, only it was a stick ... fun little truck, first year of the SOHC 207hp engine in the Ranger ... had it chipped, did 110 in it on 99mph-rated off-road tires :)

It looked a little better than most Rangers around that time, this was the summer tire/wheel set-up at one point:

35525414434_0b714b7019_o.jpg

travelers

Reaction score
Lol ... I had a 2001 Ranger with the 4.0 and 4.10 gears, only it was a stick ... fun little truck, first year of the SOHC 207hp engine in the Ranger ... had it chipped, did 110 in it on 99mph-rated off-road tires :)

It looked a little better than most Rangers around that time, this was the summer tire/wheel set-up at one point:

35525414434_0b714b7019_o.jpg

Very nice. I do like the wheels, who's are they?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Very nice. I do like the wheels, who's are they?

Thanks, they were Enkei. I think the model was RTS or RT6, not sure.
I ended up selling them to the dealership I used to work for, they put the whole tire/wheel package on a black 2001-body-style Explorer Sport Trac and sold it that way.
Saw the truck a few months later when it came in for service, the wheels looked like they hadn't been washed since they were put on there, rusting around the center caps and filthy.
I shook my head and walked away

travelers

Reaction score
That's what seems to always happen. Here's my Ranger. I don't know why its sideways

Attachments

• IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Phil1098

Reaction score
I watched some Mustang documentary/history show, not sure which one now, may have been A Faster Horse. Anyway, they showed that Ford went through something like 170 different exhaust set ups for the GT because a V8 Mustang has a sound that is very recognizable and pretty special to a lot of people. The Ford engineers and designers think it's a big deal because they too want anybody that hears the car to say "there's a Mustang".

They could go through a thousand exhausts and an EB4 just can't/won't get there. It can't outrun the physics that allow the right sound.

I like exotic sounding engines, but even exotic V8s sound the best to me. Last year when my son graduated from college, as a graduation gift I took him to Las Vegas and I bought him time at Speed Vegas and Dream Racing. He drove a Porsche Cayman S, McLaren 650S, Lamborghini Hurican, and a Ferrari 458. The Porsche sounded like a Porsche, which I do like. The McLaren, while being a V8 it's a small V8 with twin turbos, didn't sound good to me at all, the turbos muffled it a lot. The Lamborghini Hurican is a V10 and did sound good but definitely a different sound. The Ferrari 458 was absolute V8 perfection, it had a scream that made all the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. I could listen to one of those for about year straight before I would fell like I needed a break.

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
it is interesting - I must be one of the few people who don't really like the sound of a Ferrari going wild, IMO it sounds kinda like a sewing machine (that being said a V10 Gallardo does sound quite neat).

I'm just a sucker for large(ish) displacement (and noisy!) V8's.

As far as 4 pots go I think that the old MGB's don't sound dreadful and the TR6 is a sweet sounding 6

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I also am not in love with a Ferrari sound, if you close your eyes and take away the facts that it's a Ferrari. It just sound like a high pitch buzzing engine.
When I was a kid, everyone would "know" a mustang was coming and that is such a key thing.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Although it's not really exotic, we have a 2012 C63 with a blower and headers added, and it straight up sounds beastly! It's a 6.3 liter 32v V8.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
But who's really counting a few cc's?
(Mercedes certainly isn't, not accurately anyway, or the car would actually be called a C62 if they were)

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
Although it's not really exotic, we have a 2012 C63 with a blower and headers added, and it straight up sounds beastly! It's a 6.3 liter 32v V8.

well you won't find me of all people on here arguing about the merits of a Merc V8 :whistle1::clap:

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Didn't know there were so many ranger owners on here, this is mine-
V1qXnKo.jpg

But, I'm looking to sell it in the next couple months and get an F150.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Good looking trucks guys, I kinda wish I never got rid of mine

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back