Detroit Rockers or Howard’s Rattler

4SilverBullet6

Reaction score
Hey, I want to get my 3v cammed and want a good lope but not something too aggressive. I’ve picked between Brenspeeds Detroit Rocker ($1000) and Howard’s Rattler Cam ($700)

Which one would be best for a completely stock 05?

07 Boss

Reaction score
Honestly cams should be determined with your needs and where you want to position your power band. If you are going to do other mods I would wait and use the cams to properly maximize your combo. What if you want to run boost farther down the line, then you're looking at swapping cams again. Just saying, cams should be one of your last mods.

Oh, and wrong section to post this.

4SilverBullet6

Reaction score
De
Honestly cams should be determined with your needs and where you want to position your power band. If you are going to do other mods I would wait and use the cams to properly maximize your combo. What if you want to run boost farther down the line, then you're looking at swapping cams again. Just saying, cams should be one of your last mods.

Oh, and wrong section to post this
Appreciate the feedback, and sorry this was my first using this lol

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Hey, I want to get my 3v cammed and want a good lope but not something too aggressive. I’ve picked between Brenspeeds Detroit Rocker ($1000) and Howard’s Rattler Cam ($700)

Here's something to whet your appetite:

Paxton Novi 2200SL supercharger kit with full bolt ons (Ford Performance intake manifold, Detroit Rocker cams, Kooks headers). This is the maximum safe HP you can get on a stock bottom end 3V (note the recommended ~450rwtq limit).

Last edited:

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Here's something to whet your appetite:

Paxton Novi 2200SL supercharger kit with full bolt ons (Ford Performance intake manifold, Detroit Rocker cams, Kooks headers). This is the maximum safe HP you can get on a stock bottom end 3V (note the recommended ~450rwtq limit).
These kinds of safe number claims always make me chuckle, my stock 3V went boom on a whole lot less than that. I must have had a dud

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
These kinds of safe number claims always make me chuckle, my stock 3V went boom on a whole lot less than that. I must have had a dud

And others are surviving with more. Perhaps you had a poor tune or the engine detonated at some point (too much timing, too little fuel, high IAT).

Last edited:

FredB66

Reaction score
I had the 'safe number' discussion with Lito and I totally agreed with what he had to say. Predicting mechanical failures is statistical exercise and the probability of catastrophic failure increases with the addition of FI and increasing boost levels. A bad tune or other conditions just increase the probability further, so bottom line is there is no 'safe number' there's just how much risk are you willing to live with.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Even a brand new race motor built with the best parts can fail due to mechanical malfunction. The risk we take hot rodding buddy.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Don’t read too deep into my comment fellas. I’m aware it’s a sort of average and there are outliers. I chuckle at my dumb bad luck, not so much the claim itself. Bright side, I wouldn’t have a sweet forged motor if the stocker never went boom

GlassTop09

Reaction score

Hi 4SilverBullet6,

Since you've already made determination that these 2 NSR, full VCT-compliant camshaft grinds are what you're interested in going with, so deciding between the 2, IMHO I'd go w\ the Brenspeed Detroit Rockers cams vs the Howard's Rattler cams (even though they're more expensive) due to the overall HP\TQ output potential across the board (DR's have a higher dynamic compression curve than the HR's thus better TQ output potential) being much better from a tuning perspective..........sound-wise they'll sound kinda similar in lope cadence to each other at idle.

I've modeled both of these camshafts grinds & compared between them for a future NA stroker build of mine (using the OEM base 9.8:1 static compression as reference.......DR @ 8.967:1 dynamic vs HR @ 8.101:1 dynamic.......OEM cams @ 8.688:1 dynamic for reference).

There are a few YouTube videos of folks recording the idle sound after installing DR cams as well as HR cams using very similar exhaust setups (LTH's, high flow catted midpipes & Pypes Super Bomb exhausts if you want to hear the exhaust notes for comparison:

Detroit Rockers
Howards Rattlers

Hope this helps.

Laga

Reaction score
I have the DRs. The tune that comes with them from Brenspeed absolutely sucks. Here is the difference between the Brenspeed tune, and one from Lito. Post #18. Judge for yourself.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I have the DRs. The tune that comes with them from Brenspeed absolutely sucks. Here is the difference between the Brenspeed tune, and one from Lito. Post #18. Judge for yourself.

Is that the same Doug who started BAMA Tuning before AM took it over?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back