Differential

matt

Reaction score
When your car is in park with both tires off the ground are the tires supposed to be able to be rotated by hand?

matt

Reaction score
Had some tires changed today and while it was on the lift I was messing around and was able to turn the tire and the other would turn in the other direction.

Vapor08gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It means you have an open diff. No trac-loc in there to keep the spider gears from transferring the torque to the other wheel. If you had a trac-loc or limited slip the clutches would lock both axles together and the only play you would have would be in the parking gear inside the transmission. This would allow you to move the wheel about an inch before it would stop. If, however you do have a trac-loc or a limited slip and this is happening the carrier unit is shot.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
When the car is off the ground In think it is normal for the tires to spin . I think mine even does it with the Trutrack.

Vapor08gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When the car is off the ground In think it is normal for the tires to spin . I think mine even does it with the Trutrack.

With this statement in mind: What would keep the car from moving besides the e brake ? Friction between the ground and both tires? Granted, I haven't had my car off the ground for anything yet as I still owe too much on it. I do however have quite a bit of experience with limited slips in off road vehicles. The limited slip 8.8 I had under my jeep acted like a locker would when off the ground.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Not sure how it all works . LOL! Just stateing my exp. The way I see it is with the car off the ground and you spin the drivers side forward then the pass side will spin in reverse . When the car is on the ground they will work against each other.

Vapor08gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is true with every open diff I have ever encountered. Also the same for worn out limited slips. The true trac you have Is a helical cut limited slip. Meaning that unless pressure is on both tires it will act like an open carrier.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not sure how it all works . LOL! Just stateing my exp. The way I see it is with the car off the ground and you spin the drivers side forward then the pass side will spin in reverse . When the car is on the ground they will work against each other.

+1!

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My brand new truetrac makes the other tire spin the other direction

And when I drop it on the ground I can leave 2 stripes 30 feet long, so it isn't broken

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back