DipYourCar.com

rdsx18

forum member
Reaction score
well I have seen a local here with it on his car and it didn't come off just by peeling it.. It was a nightmare to get off and they both used a lot of coats, and one had it done by a certified dyc place.... I would rather spend the money on a wrap personally

A friend had this same experience, he had his charger dipped and it was a pain to take off, it certainly did not just peel off. I can also say from experience that when I peeled it off wheels before it came of in mostly smaller pieces and took a while.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I dipped the Steeda wheels that were on my 06 and it SUCKED getting the dip off... 2 hours to dip them, 2 days getting it all off.

syclone50

forum member
Reaction score
A friend had this same experience, he had his charger dipped and it was a pain to take off, it certainly did not just peel off. I can also say from experience that when I peeled it off wheels before it came of in mostly smaller pieces and took a while.

My experience has with it has shown me you have to put on at least 5 coats, preferably 6 or 7. This allows it to come off easy. I sprayed the same hood several times, spray and peel, spray and peel. The first attempt it wasn't on heavy enough and it was very hard to get off. Each time I added another coat and once I was up to 6 and 7 it is easy to remove. I can only think your friends didn't get enough coverage.

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
"Oops" will take it off in seconds. Like others have said though you have to do enough coats.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Damnit, every time I talk myself out of doing this I see something like this that makes me want to.

I wonder how hard it would be to clean this shit out of my airless sprayer.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Removal is easy, but the application has to be done properly. Plus Fonzie does state in one of the videos that when you remove, pull back and away from any cracks/edges of the surface. It should come off in complete sections, and this also helps from the little bits getting stuck in crevasses. Fonzie does answer questions rather quickly too.

A friend of mine dipped his ST wheel flat black, and it was pretty easy. I helped him out one night, and probably took 2-3 hours with both of us painting two wheels at a time. I have a few cans to do the Faux cap, and possibly some custom striping work, just haven't gotten around to it.

As it has already been said, this is more poplar than wrapping or actual painting, because the base surface is protected by it, and it is removable. Vinyl wrap can leave marks/outlines on the paint if left on for a long period of time. When I was working at the dealer, quite a few cars, traded-in, that had vinyl wrap/logos removed, left silhouettes on the car.

rdsx18

forum member
Reaction score
My experience has with it has shown me you have to put on at least 5 coats, preferably 6 or 7. This allows it to come off easy. I sprayed the same hood several times, spray and peel, spray and peel. The first attempt it wasn't on heavy enough and it was very hard to get off. Each time I added another coat and once I was up to 6 and 7 it is easy to remove. I can only think your friends didn't get enough coverage.

he had a shop spray it, so I would hope they did enough but you never know.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
Just because a shop did it doesn't mean they did it right. If the coverage isn't thick and even, removal is a complete pain in the ass. I have been there unfortunately!

nola504boy

forum member
Reaction score
It is hard to compare to paint but here are some of the highlights.

Most people don't have the skill set to paint their own car let alone the facility to do it in. I dipped my car after practicing a couple of times on an old fox hood. It wasn't too difficult and I had no experience with auto paint work prior.

The kit cost about $200 and then plan on $200 for materials. This means the second car you dip will only cost $200.

It is not permanent, if you get bored with the color, peel it off and start again.

It is VERY durable. I drove 1000 miles in 4 days on mine 2 days after I did it and there was not one rock chip.

Your factory paint is sleeping nice and kozzy under the dip, protected and will be as good as it was when you covered it.

Very easy to clean, I used that shitty brush at the quarter carwash for the first time in 10 years. Bugs, dirt, and anything else come off with ease.

No more drying your car, it is a rubber like coating so the water just rolls off or dries quickly.

Also give your car a unique look. My car started as black so I looked at it as an blank canvas. Plus I don't like my car to look like everyone else.

I posted a pic of mine in another thread but here it is again.
This is their flex blue color.

DSC_0228.jpg
Your car looks awesome. It just seems like everyone loves dip more than paint now. Just wondering if this is a fad that's all. How long has this been around? LOL because i'm just hearing/seeing a bunch of dipped cars this year for the first time ever, or maybe I thought I was seeing matte color paint lol.

syclone50

forum member
Reaction score
Your car looks awesome. It just seems like everyone loves dip more than paint now. Just wondering if this is a fad that's all. How long has this been around? LOL because i'm just hearing/seeing a bunch of dipped cars this year for the first time ever, or maybe I thought I was seeing matte color paint lol.

Thank you very much:thumb2:

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Do you guys have pictures of the edges of your doors, edges of hoods, trunk lids, etc.? It seems to me like those would be places the dip could look crappy from the transition from the dip to the painted door jambs. Having a black car I'm cool with black jambs as long as the transition is even and doesn't easily peel.

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
I think im going to go ahead and try this out since my car is a DD. Gotta love the fact it protects the paint!

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
The thing about the dip is that where it is lightly put on, like the jambs/doors, etc, it won't peel. There is nothing solid to get to peel. Working up an edge of 7 coats of dip is a bit of work as is. Getting overspray, or where the jambs are, that is next to impossible. I have some overspray inside of my trunk that still has not come off.

Dip is unlike anything that most people have experienced. Everything from what it is, to the taping off process, to the spraying, it is not what you think. This doesn't just peel right up when you look at it funny. If it is applied correctly, it will be on there until you decide to peel it off.

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
Wow. That's pretty badass! I've been thinking of a white or a light blue dip for the Jeep and this just pulled me even closer. Thanks for sharing!

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Thought about trying a matte white just for one race then peeling it back off. Would be cool to try, just curious how weather and road grime would look on it. Not really looking forward to a huge pita peeling it back off either.

REDS197

Reaction score
I have seen this a few times in person. It is a good 20 footer mod but I think a wrap looks nicer up close.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back