Disabling Airbags [Asking]

Foozeh

forum member
Reaction score
Alright, so I am in the process of gutting my car for a project i'm working on. 2009 V6
I have read in a few interior DIY's to remove the Fuse 10A in the side kick panel for the passenger dash airbag.
It says to remove the fuse, THEN disconnect the airbag harness THEN wait 1 minute and disconnect the negative.

I have my battery removed already before pulling any fuses.
Do I need to hook the battery back up and follow those steps? Or can I just pull the fuse+ disconnect the harness?

To anyone with experience, when I remove the seats (side airbag equipped) can I just unbolt them and pull them out without worrying about the airbags going off?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Last edited:

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
Alright, so I am in the process of gutting my car for a project i'm working on. 2009 V6
I have read in a few interior DIY's to remove the Fuse 10A in the side kick panel for the passenger dash airbag.
It says to remove the fuse, THEN disconnect the airbag harness THEN wait 1 minute and disconnect the negative.

I have my battery removed already before pulling any fuses.
Do I need to hook the battery back up and follow those steps? Or can I just pull the fuse+ disconnect the harness?

To anyone with experience, when I remove the seats (side airbag equipped) can I just unbolt them and pull them out without worrying about the airbags going off?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Heres the steering wheel airbag

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f692/how-remove-air-bag-steering-wheel-463360/

Heres what i found about the seats

I saved this from another website. This guy researced this extensivley. You need to add the terminator for sure. Read on.....

Aftermarket Seats in the S197 Mustang with No Alarms

The Seatbelts
I started out with the procedure in the owner's manual to disable the seatbelt warnings - flashes and beeps! The only other trick needed to satisfy the seatbelts is to plug the sensor in under your new seats.
This will take care of the seat belt chimes:

1) car off, all belts unbuckled, parking brake on
2) turn key to on position. you will see seat belt warning light light up red
3) after 1 min, light will go off, now you must buckle and then unbuckle seatbelt you want to disable warning for 9 times exactly and finish doing this within 50 seconds of the light going off
4) airbag light will go on for 3 seconds or so
5) after it goes off, buckle then unbuckle seatbelt again 1 time
6) light will flash, seatbelt warning disabled.

The Airbags

First a word about the error indications.
DTCs are Diagnostic Trouble Codes. You will need an OBD-II scanner to read these. The problem is the codes related to the seats are body codes which are part of the enhanced set of OBD-II codes. You will not be able to read these with a handheld programmer like an XCal-2 or Diablo, you will need a special scanner capable of reading these enhanced codes.
LFCs are Lamp Fault Codes. They can be read right after key on ignition off by watching the airbag light in the cluster. The LFCs are 2 digit codes and are read by the light flashing a code. For the example of LFC 49, the light will flash 4 times then a brief pause then flash 9 times then a long pause. This will repeat 3 to 4 times then the light will stay on solid.
DRIVER’s Side
To satisfy the computer and not have any lights bells and whistles after installing your aftermarket seats you will need to take the harness from the bottom of the stock seats and put them under your aftermarket seats. Here’s a pic I borrowed from someone else of the harness under the driver’s seat. Notice things like the seatbelt receiver had to come with it, the yellow plug on that yellow connector is for the side airbag and needs to come with it. If you don’t have a side airbag, the yellow plug needs to come with the harness, if you do have a side airbag, you’ll need to get the terminator plug from the dealer for both sides. Also, there is a seat position sensor shown in the picture below the harness that needs to be plugged into the harness. Without that you will get a DTC C1981, Front Driver's Seat Track Position Switch Circuit Fault. That sensor is in the front of the driver’s seat on the console side held in by 1 screw.

DRIVER’S SIDE HARNESS

SEAT POSITION SENSOR

Passenger’s Side
Like the driver's side, you will need to connect the harness under the aftermarket seat with all of the sensors plugged into it. Here is a picture I took of the passenger’s side harness with the needed sensors.
PASSENGER’S SIDE HARNESS
· If you don't connect the seat belt sensor you will get DTC B2692.
· If you don't connect that yellow plug (side airbag terminator), you will get DTC B2295 and a LFC 23.
· If you don't connect the OCS Module, you will get DTC B2290 and LFC 16. You get the same indication if you don't connect the bladder.
The OCS Module is riveted into the seat rail. You will need to drill out the rivet to remove this module. The bladder takes some work to remove but is fairly obvious, you just need to remove several parts to get to it.
With my aftermarket seats installed, I currently have no DTCs and no warning lights with the airbags working properly. The only thing I don’t have is the use of the occupant classification system, meaning the airbag is always active on the passenger’s side.
WARNING: Following this procedure will leave the passenger’s side airbag active all the time. The airbag can be fatal to small children. Use this procedure at your own risk.

51861d1221582094t-2005-mustang-gt-5-speed-change-seats-airbagharness.jpg

Last edited:

Foozeh

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for that man, it will be helpful for when I remove the seats (later I will replace with racing ones)

Still trying to find the fuse to deactivate the Seat airbags also.

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
Deactivate the light on the dash?Ford used a dummy resistor plug to fool the computer

Foozeh

forum member
Reaction score
Fuse 17 is the only fuse I can find related to depowering the airbags (Steering wheel and passengerside airbag.)
When I said deactivate, I meant depowering the airbags.. sorry for the confusion.

I have the fuse pulled out and the light is on continuously like it is supposed to be.
Looking at my owners manual I noticed there is a SEAT airbag light aswell but it is not lighting up like the wheel and dash airbag.

Trying to depower my seat airbags while I'm doing this so I don't have to worry about them going off.

I know it depowers the wheel and dash but I can't confirm that the seat airbags are. Maybe I'm just over thinking it :\

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
With the battery disconnected, the circuits will 'drain down' naturally, with or w/o fuses, there will be no power to be bags. Normally, however, you would give it time to discharge (capacitors hold charge that can deploy the bags after power is disconnected, probably for handling the split-second scenario of the power getting killed during an accident before the bag systems have time to deploy, hence they hold reserve power to ensure deployment).

I just leave the battery disconnected for 15 minutes or more, and go from there. You can also look in the Ford service manual online to see what the discharge procedure is.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Just be careful, I had a friend get a serious neck injury awhile back from a disconnected air bag. I don't know if the newer bags are the same, but I treat them with extreme caution.

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
ive got a ford manual here, says to turn all accessories off, turn ignition switch off, at the sjb, remove fuse F2.17 (10a)

turn ignition on, visualy monitor the airbag indicator for 30 seconds, should remain lit with no flashing, if you got the right fuse. if it flashes, remove the correct fuse.

turn ignition off, disconnect battery ground cable, says for 1 minute, i would wait 10 myself.

you should be good to go

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back