Disappointed

Gruca

World's Slowest 3v Owner
Reaction score
Took my 2010 Mustang GT 5-speed to Great Lakes Dragaway in Kenosha Wisconsin on Saturday. I'm thoroughly disappointed. My car has a JLT series 3 intake, stock 3.73 gears, shaft masters one piece aluminum driveshaft, BMR lower control arms and relocation brackets, BMR adjustable upper control arm, and a Bama tune. I was only able to manage a 13.78@99mph. I had one run go 13.8@100mph. My 60ft times sucked, usually 2.0-2.1. I didn't expect my trap speed to be so low though. Most of my runs were 14.0-14.1 at 98mph, but my 60ft was to blame on those.

All in all, with my mods, I was expecting better trap speeds and slightly better launches. I blame the launches on driver error, but my traps are certainly disappointing. I miss my 5.0

Jason09GT

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely on the low side of traps. My old '09 trapped 106-107 stock, with 3.55's and that was with 2.2-2.3 60's. Not so much wheel spin as just leaving super soft due to wheelhop

Gruca

World's Slowest 3v Owner
Reaction score

Just some 255/45/19 Goodyears that were on it when I bought it a couple months ago. Those would explain my crap 60ft times, but my traps should definitely be higher.

Could the pinion angle being off affect that?

Gruca

World's Slowest 3v Owner
Reaction score
Definitely on the low side of traps. My old '09 trapped 106-107 stock, with 3.55's and that was with 2.2-2.3 60's. Not so much wheel spin as just leaving super soft due to wheelhop

I just had to rebuild the rear-end. The bearings were making a ton of noise, so I put the GT500 ones in there. My (future) father-in-law is an ex Ford mechanic and did all the work in his garage. We ripped the entire rear-end off the car and added all the fun stuff to get rid of that wheel hop. It's gone now but I was certainly hoping for a lot more at the track... :(

forum member
Reaction score
Just some 255/45/19 Goodyears that were on it when I bought it a couple months ago. Those would explain my crap 60ft times, but my traps should definitely be higher.

Could the pinion angle being off affect that?

Your pinion angle would not be affected unless your car is lowered. And even then it should not affect your launches.

Get you some drag radials and an offroad midpipe and try again. 2.0 60fts are not terrible for street Goodyears.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like the DA was in the 650-700 range on Saturday at that track (according to dragtimes site), so air was good. What rpm are you shifting at?

Gruca

World's Slowest 3v Owner
Reaction score
Your pinion angle would not be affected unless your car is lowered. And even then it should not affect your launches.

Get you some drag radials and an offroad midpipe and try again. 2.0 60fts are not terrible for street Goodyears.

I mentioned the pinion angle because of the adjustable UCA I added and the one piece driveshaft I installed. I wasn't sure if that would slow me down.

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
That trap is definitely low. I am pretty sure I was at that trap or faster 100% stock. Do you have any way of data logging it? Maybe see if you are getting any knock? What fuel, 93? Can you post a pic of your time slip?

Gruca

World's Slowest 3v Owner
Reaction score
That trap is definitely low. I am pretty sure I was at that trap or faster 100% stock. Do you have any way of data logging it? Maybe see if you are getting any knock? What fuel, 93? Can you post a pic of your time slip?

I do have an SCT x4, so I could use live link and data log it. I use 87 octane normally. I was at half a tank and filled it with 93 when I left for the track.

Silverhorse.s197

Glorified Welder
Reaction score
gotta say it was better than my times. Did my first ever passes in my 08 GT Saturday at the Keystone Raceway.. Took off really easy and got a 14.55 @ 98 .. was on my performance tune .. Not sure how the race tune will do.

Gruca

World's Slowest 3v Owner
Reaction score
What Bama tune do you have in, octane type?

87 Performance at the moment. I did a datalog of the idle and knock sensor one showed a min of 74 and a max of 112. Average was 91.18.

Knock sensor 2 was min 76, max 109, avg 92.38.

Gruca

World's Slowest 3v Owner
Reaction score
IDLE Datalog

Idle%20Datalog_zpsksbry1c9.png~original

ski

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure red line is set at 7000 rpm minimum. The throttle plates start closing when the engine reaches approx. 300-400 rpm below red line.

Install a higher octane tune if you have one. And obviously higher octane gas to match.

I'm guessing you're shifting into 4th before the finish line with 3.73's. If so, that's reducing your car's momentum, and also its trap speed.

Gruca

World's Slowest 3v Owner
Reaction score
Make sure red line is set at 7000 rpm minimum. The throttle plates start closing when the engine reaches approx. 300-400 rpm below red line.

Install a higher octane tune if you have one. And obviously higher octane gas to match.

I'm guessing you're shifting into 4th before the finish line with 3.73's. If so, that's reducing your car's momentum, and also its trap speed.

I'm still in third when I cross the line.

bigmike06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Those are pretty close to the same times as I was able to run with an Airraid CAI, Bassani cat back with offroad X and dyno tune which had me at 300RWHP and 320RWTQ. Best time was 13.97@100mph. Even once I put in my 4.10's I could barely break the 100mph mark and I couldn't break 14s in the quarter with the extra shift over stock gears. Most GT's are close to my times and only slightly better depending on the driver at our track, even slightly modified GT500's run in the low 13 to high 12's. Could just be the track as the DA here runs around 2000-2800 on average and fast cars don't run nearly as well as what I see on some of the cars on here and a few other sites.

Last edited:

forum member
Reaction score
Pinion angles have more to do with driveline vibration than quarter mile times. If you havent lowered the car its not something to worry about.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back