Disappointed

2DaDarkZide PR

Vroom, Burble, Burble
Reaction score
Launch, and slow shifting I am sure is your trap issue.

I trapped 100-101 with 100 percent stock car. It took me dozens if not over 100 passes to perfect shifting and launching my old 06 GT. Got it down to 1.81 60' on 275 555 regular street tires launching at 5500-6500.

It is always said that a better 60 will lower your trap but produce a faster ET. While I have noticed this for FWD cars, I have had the complete opposite experience. In my old timeslips I gained almost 2-2.5 MPH by improving my 60'. So Launching, fast shifting and possibly burning through 2nd gear are killing your traps.

Gruca

World's Slowest 3v Owner
Reaction score
Part of the problem ended up being the clutch. It was trash and the track pretty much ended its life. Two days after I left, I couldn't shift anymore. I pulled the trans and half the clutch fell out before the trans was even fully out of the car. I put in an Exedy stage 2 (from AM, so who knows what stage that REALLY is), a new clutch master cylinder, McCloud clutch line, and a set of comp cam stage 2 VSRs. I just finished breaking the clutch in and now I'm just waiting to hit the track again. I was going to put in a set of Kooks LTs and catted h-pipe too, but it hasn't arrived yet after 5 weeks. I'm sure Maryland Speed hates me by now...I ended up waiting 4 weeks with the car out of commission and then just decided to put the stock manifolds and mid pipe back in. So I get to do that install twice on my car...yay me :(

Last edited:

Gruca

World's Slowest 3v Owner
Reaction score

Hadn't seen that on MM yet. Thanks for letting me know.

The UCA is in the lower hole (closest to the ground). The pinion angle was set to -2 degrees. The LCAs (non-adjustable BMRs) are set to the first hole closest to the stock hole. I am running stock springs and struts currently.

I'd love to get some bias ply tires. I need to find a set of wheels to mount them on still. Tires are going to make a huge difference, once I get them. I'm excited to see how my setup now changes my ET/trap numbers.

forum member
Reaction score

Do what lindertw suggests. Read some of his old posts for more info. He was a big help for me.
I read what he wrote in the above post. Mickey Thompson did stop producing their perfect ET Street (an ET Street Radial). It was a dumb decision but luckily they still make a good bias ply. I use this bias ply http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-3554 on a so-so prepped track. My car is also a manual transmission car. If you go with bias ply tires, it is my experience that running the most tire pressure while getting the best 60 foot times works best. I drive those tires home from the track with about 30 psi of pressure.

Gruca

World's Slowest 3v Owner
Reaction score
To add insult to injury, I went back to the track yesterday after putting in a new clutch and a set of comp cam stage 2 VSRs. My new times were 14.00@100mph.

My 60ft times were pretty much the same. My 13.8@99mph before the clutch and cams was with a 2.109 60ft. My 14.0@100 was with a 2.120 60ft. Again, I know I need tires and all that, but a 100 mph trap speed with my mods? I don't care if my 60ft is 5 seconds, my MPH should be SIGNIFICANTLY higher, even with crappy launches and shifting. Not saying my shifting is crappy, but you should understand my point here. I'm still waiting on my effing headers to arrive to get the dyno tune done. I am still running an updated tune (for the cams) from AM. I can't believe the tune would cause that large of an issue for my car to be this terribly slow...

So since my first times with this car, I've changed the stock clutch to an Exedy Mach 400 and Exedy flywheel. I changed out the fuel filter, the oil, and the trans fluid. I added a McCloud clutch line and a new clutch master cylinder. I added stronger valve springs and the Comp Stage 2 VSR cams. I had a new tunes sent for that as well. So add in my BMR LCAs, UCA, 1-piece driveshaft, and JLT CAI, I'd assume my traps would be closer to 110 mph than 100.

1fastTbird

forum member
Reaction score
This is interesting. Something may be going on with your tune.
I went to the track with great air on Tuesday for the first time since installing Kook's LT's, Bama tunes (previously had Evolution Performance tunes,) and rear LCA's and I was consistently slower than before. Down on ET and MPH. Best was [email protected]. Based on previous experience, I was expecting trap speeds of 107-109.
I will give it a few more outings before I declare the car is down on power, but air and traction was good, so I am now questioning the tune. I will do some data logging the next time out. Perhaps timing was being pulled? Time will solve this one.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back