DIY: Black out Chrome Emblems

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of chrome lettering on my car, I love a blacked out vehicle. I did this to my last car, 2003 Infinity G35. So I have been thinking of doing it to my GT. So here it goes....

I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILTY IF YOU MESS UP SOMETHING.

Parts:
PlastiDip can spray. (Lowes paint dept)
Blue Masking tape. (Lowes paint dept)
Newspaper. (Neighbor had it sitting in his driveway)​

So First off, clean your car or clean the area you are going to be working with.

Then start taping off...​

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

Once you have it taped, apply one light coat and sit for 5 minutes.​

DSC_0108.jpg

Now apply the other coates. Start with one coat, make it wet looking. Wait 30 minutes and apply another one. I did 3-4 coats on mine.​

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

Once you have applied all the coats you want and let it dry for about 30 minutes. You can peel the tape and paper off. Just be careful around the emblem. Hobby knife works well to cut the Plastidip if you have to.​

It will take about 4 hours to fully dry.​

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

This stuff is great. Resists rock chips, and pretty much puts a rubber coating over the emblem. If you mess up or get tired of it, just peel it off.​

Here are some other pics of the other emblems...​

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

allinon72

forum member
Reaction score
Just got some of this stuff...going to do my GT emblems as well.

ramrod07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Just got some of this stuff...going to do my GT emblems as well.

Im liking this idea, have you done the horse on the front grill if you still have the factory grill? I have an 07 Alloy GT and i feel the same way, that chrome emblem on the back sticks out like a sore thumb:thumb:

06blackV8

Reaction score
Did the same thing to mine a couple of days ago, looks sweet all black, I'm not a big fan of Chrome on my car either.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Im liking this idea, have you done the horse on the front grill if you still have the factory grill? I have an 07 Alloy GT and i feel the same way, that chrome emblem on the back sticks out like a sore thumb:thumb:

I was thinking of doing the pony on the front grill, but just didn't.

Will probably do the pony next weekend though....it looks like an eyesore now...lol

allinon72

forum member
Reaction score

I've already done the front pony and rear emblem in satin black

3-26-11_24.jpg

3-26-11_18.jpg

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
I just got a can of this, and am testing it out on a spare rear cap I have.

There always seems to be one spot that comes out rough after it dries. Its starting to piss me off because its always someplace different. Also I though the first coat was suppose to be heavy. I'll try light first and see if it helps

thanks

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Also, make sure you spray onto a piece of cardboard first. Then the next spray onto what ever it is you're painting. That first spray always has a few heavy spots come out of it. If I set the can down for more than a few seconds, I always spray first onto the cardboard.

Black_GT

SIIXVII
Reaction score
Kinda wishing I went this route instead of the time it took to actually prep/prime/paint my emblems :/ Looks really good!

ramrod07gt

forum member
Reaction score
The plasti dip stuff was $6 at home depot

yeah i used my head and looked it up on their website:asshat: thank you though.. i'll probably be doing this tomorrow or later this week when i have time to let it sit and dry.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice writeup. Question, though. When you taped off the emblems, it looks like you didn't tape off all the paint finish. How were you able to peel the Plasti-dip off of the paint without messing it up?

ramrod07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Nice writeup. Question, though. When you taped off the emblems, it looks like you didn't tape off all the paint finish. How were you able to peel the Plasti-dip off of the paint without messing it up?

i was wondering this too? i thought maybe you used black tape closer to the emblem but realized you didnt tape it off, im assuming once its dry you can just peel it away?

CMK720

forum member
Reaction score
i was wondering this too? i thought maybe you used black tape closer to the emblem but realized you didnt tape it off, im assuming once its dry you can just peel it away?

I didn't want to ask and feel dumb haha.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

chutoyy

forum member
Reaction score
Plastidip can peeled off if you no longer like the look...

Another good thing about plastidip is that it works as sort of a primer so you can plastidip, then rattle can something the color of your choice. =]

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back