DIY Painting : Bumpers, Side Scoops and Spoiler

Autob

Reaction score
I've done all of these.....did you guys want to see the before and after of them? It was done with a rattle can but matching color of course. Turned out pretty nice. Here is a quick look at the most recent:

ayK016X.jpg
ayK016X.jpg

cschoening09

forum member
Reaction score
scuff up what your painting good and get it smooth, use like 600-800 grit paper to scuff before paint. wipe down and prep with lint free shop towel and paint thinner/rubbing alcohol whatever. that's just being cheap and works. if you wanna do it right with no worries use a tack cloth and get some paint prep from a supply store

multiple thin light coats, 10-15 minutes between coats. and you wont get that "rattle can paintjob" look. I like the duplicolor stuff at the parts stores. does good on small stuff. paint quality turned out great on my daily driver that I painted a door molding on....exxxeeept, I got the paint color a little off, its kinda a pearly color+ im colorblind lmao!

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
with pearl colors you have to be careful of how many coats you put on, because if you do to many the pearl color will be darker, same as with kandy paint.

C.Love

forum member
Reaction score
Also a note for performance white (probably applies to many other colors). When having the paint mixed make sure to get the exact amount the "recipe" calls for. So for example if the mix amount says xx oz of white xx oz of red xx oz of another color and so on which in the end equals a pint. Dont allow the paint mixer to pair it down to less than that. Otherwise you will have color variances and the PAINT WILL NOT MATCH. You may be only painting a small item but getting more matching paint (which you can save) is better than having a fender and the blend area a shade off.

Ive only had this ever happen with performance white. I got a quart it was off. thought ok well i got the cheaper line next time i will get the better line which is suppose to match better. Next time i got the higher line and it was horriably off. Got a whole pint mixed and it was better. There is alot more to this story but in the end the problem was with getting too small of an amount mixed and the red portion of tint in the white being just enough off.

Autonut

Canadian Member
Reaction score
Also a note for performance white (probably applies to many other colors). When having the paint mixed make sure to get the exact amount the "recipe" calls for. So for example if the mix amount says xx oz of white xx oz of red xx oz of another color and so on which in the end equals a pint. Dont allow the paint mixer to pair it down to less than that. Otherwise you will have color variances and the PAINT WILL NOT MATCH. You may be only painting a small item but getting more matching paint (which you can save) is better than having a fender and the blend area a shade off.

Ive only had this ever happen with performance white. I got a quart it was off. thought ok well i got the cheaper line next time i will get the better line which is suppose to match better. Next time i got the higher line and it was horriably off. Got a whole pint mixed and it was better. There is alot more to this story but in the end the problem was with getting too small of an amount mixed and the red portion of tint in the white being just enough off.

This is good info. As I have some parts that seem to be a brighter white than the rest of the car.

Back