Does a clay bar REALLY remove everything they say it does?

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Think about it. Since I've been into cars I've read and been told that clay bars remove all old wax and sealants along with contaminants in the paint. Yet every time I've ever clayed my cars, the clay glides right along the paint with little to no resistance. Sure it always picks up some dirt here and there, but if it was removing old wax and the like, wouldn't there be SOME evidence of it? Wouldn't there be SOME resistance, SOME friction?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
friction = scratches...

you use a good amount of liquid when you clay, mine always has a lot of dirt on the bar, the paint feels very smooth afterwards

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Bag Test?

I only used clay bar once and was not impressed, but I probably did it wrong. LOL

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Slight side note: no point in using clay bars anymore when you can get Nanoskin pads, towels, and sponges.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Next time, do the bag test before and after.

THIS.

I normally clay & wax twice a year (spring and fall) and I have to say I'm normally impressed with the results. Everytime the claybar for me turns brownish/yellow with crap it's picking up and I also do the 'bag trick' as well to feel imperfections afterwards and if it's bad enough I'll redo the panel or spot.

My car is a weekend car and sees 3-5k miles/year of driving, garage kept, and no winters and still the paint picks up crap I have to clay out :crazy:

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
I have done the bag test and know the clay bar leaves the paint smoother...I've just never been blown away by the process. I'll keep doing it...I've always clayed my cars at least twice a year even with my skepticism. That's what I'm doing today, I'm letting my Black Light cure right now.

*Looking into this Nanoskin stuff. Anyone use it??? I've never heard of it before but I am pretty sure it's going into my collection for next time.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
I have done the bag test and know the clay bar leaves the paint smoother...I've just never been blown away by the process. I'll keep doing it...I've always clayed my cars at least twice a year even with my skepticism. That's what I'm doing today, I'm letting my Black Light cure right now.

*Looking into this Nanoskin stuff. Anyone use it??? I've never heard of it before but I am pretty sure it's going into my collection for next time.

Do you ever feel a performance improvement after changing your oil?

I've never used that stuff, but I have a clay block from Chemical Guys that I like. I still use clay for hard to reach areas, though.

28ONE

Reaction score
The plastic baggie test will help you feel any surface contaminants that your hand won't.

As for claying vs nanoskin - much faster process with the same results. However you must be careful as there's a possibility to mar the paint - especially dark colors. Even when I did have marring, I usually polish the paint afterwards so its not a big deal for me.

An additional note, claying or nanoskin products will only remove surface contaminants. A product such as CarPro IronX was developed as a method of removing paint contamination beyond what can be removed by washing or claying. Claying as you know is only capable of removing above surface contaminants that have bonded to the paint. IronX is designed to remove what lies below the paint surface as well as above.

Last edited:

28ONE

Reaction score
awesome, thanks. I think I might have to get one of those things. clay bars are very tiring.

I'd recommend everyone adding IronX to their clay bar process. You can really see the result of IronX working on white paint :thumb2:

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Ugh. 5 hours later and done.

On the positive side, for the next 30 minutes while my car is clean, it is the best color. After that I will hate it again.

As far as the marring from Nanoskin, that makes sense. Claying it's self should be leaving a little bit of marring as well though, I wouldn't clay if I'm not going to polish for that reason. Nanoskin wouldn't be any different.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back