Does anybody fly?

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The F-5 (basically a T-38 with only one seat), is an awesome light attack jet... simple, fast, and agile... only our massive defense contracting system kept us from having them (we built them for export, but never had them ourselves).

The A-10 is great as well, but the two are not comparable. The F-5 is supersonic and the A-10 has trouble keeping up with a 747...

YellowRoush

forum member
Reaction score
I'm actually going to college for it right now and am currently about to start my private pilot training

usafimj

Reaction score
I'm taking online Embry-Riddle classes and thinking about taking ground school course. Any insight on ground school?

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think ground school will give you great knowledge and insight... but it is pretty limited in scope unless you continue on and get your PPL...

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I'm taking online Embry-Riddle classes and thinking about taking ground school course. Any insight on ground school?

my good friend is at the arizona campus on his 3rd year .

Chrome61

forum member
Reaction score
I was a Air Force brat, When my dad retired he was a flight engineer on the C-141B Starlifter out of Mcguire in NJ. That's as close as I got.

englane

Reaction score
I learned to fly in college. Bowling Green State U. Best aviation program in Ohio! I flew 172's, Piper Arrows, and Piper Seminoles. I've got my commercial license with multi-engine and instrument ratings. I've only got about 215 hours though. If I had the time and money I would have a lot more!

I'm currently an F-16 crew chief in the Air National Guard working on active duty orders, and I was just selected to go to undergraduate pilot training on the same airframe. Life is about to get a whole lot better!

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
I learned to fly in college. Bowling Green State U. Best aviation program in Ohio! I flew 172's, Piper Arrows, and Piper Seminoles. I've got my commercial license with multi-engine and instrument ratings. I've only got about 215 hours though. If I had the time and money I would have a lot more!

I'm currently an F-16 crew chief in the Air National Guard working on active duty orders, and I was just selected to go to undergraduate pilot training on the same airframe. Life is about to get a whole lot better!

Do you know a guy, A1C Smithhisler? He would be a new guy that just came in maybe a month or two ago.

englane

Reaction score
Zex, where did he join and what does he do? I'm in Toledo, so if he's not, then definitely not. Even if he is, if he doesn't work the flightline, I probably wouldn't know him.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Zex, where did he join and what does he do? I'm in Toledo, so if he's not, then definitely not. Even if he is, if he doesn't work the flightline, I probably wouldn't know him.

I would say that he got back from Tech School a few months ago

englane

Reaction score
Those Kiowas are pretty sweet. For a while I was considering cross training into the Army to fly whirly birds, but in the end, the fighters got me.

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
1st: Clarification: Helicopter pilots are NOT pilots. They are circus performers that like to zip thru the sky as a break when they are not balancing 10 spinning plates on sticks while juggling 10 balls and balancing a basketball on each big toe.

Single engine land instrument rating here.

About 500-600 hours total time.
Most of it in my baby I had to sell in '09 due to slow economy and lack of funds ( this aint a cheap hobby, makes boats and hotrods look down right frugal )

How about a 520 cubic inch turbo charged 6 cylinder ? Now thats a motor !!!

6e-1.jpg

1e-7.jpg

I learned to fly here. And if you can dodge the 737's and deal with the overworked controllers you can get in and out of anywhere. Learning to fly from day 1 at a Class B airport was interesting and exciting. Wake turbulence is always an eye opening experience in a 3,500 lbs airplane - 100' off the ground.

houston-hobby-airport-address.jpg

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Flying is the main thing I miss in my retirement. There just isn't anything that equals it, some things come close but for me flying was always the greatest.

Earl

whoapony

forum member
Reaction score
1st: Clarification: Helicopter pilots are NOT pilots.

This is true, we're Aviators!! Hahahah! Try flying in class B in a 5200 lb, actually about 4500 lb bird if you're at half a tank in a whirly bird! Gotta love wake turb! Rotor wash and big plane vortices don't mix well!

Last edited:

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Then stay out of our airspace! You can have sfc-200 feet!

5200 pounds? That's less than our required overhead fuel..

whoapony

forum member
Reaction score
Hahaha, Your just mad cause you gotta chauffeur us around, then drop us off to go all the dirty work! I envy you guys though, at least you get to go back and drink Mai Tai's afterwards by the pool!
Then stay out of our airspace! You can have sfc-200 feet!

5200 pounds? That's less than our required overhead fuel..

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
This is true, we're Aviators!! Hahahah!

I'll stick with my circus performer classification, lol.

The FBO I used to fly out of had a helicopter school next door. Holy cow, it must take a triple prescription of Zanex to be a helicopter instructor. Watching those newbies practice hoovering and backing into parking spots while you're pre-flighting your plane 100' away could be unnerving for me. Couldnt imagine actually sitting in the instructor's seat.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back