Dropped s197 still running 2pc drive shaft

mr_exon

Reaction score
All of you have dropped your car a bit or done gear swaps in here and when doing most of the under side work that requires you to detatch the drive shaft, you seen the spacers on the mid hoop to the chassis.... My question is at over 2.25" drop does it require you to remove those 1/2" spacers? Then mount the hoop flush? Reason I am asking is the drive shaft now comes out of the trans output then drops down to mid hoop then climbs back up to the rear pinion... It looks as if I took the spacers out the drive shaft would lay straight after or a lot better then it is now... I don't want a dipshit sounds good to me answer, I need an answer that is from some one that was in the same boat at one point. Reason I need a solid "I done that and it worked out for me" answer is I fear taking the spacers out only to collapse all the slip joints in driveshaft thus bottoming it out... That may cause trans and diff pinion bearing failure...

If need be I can post a pic later...

Yes I asked around already and no one else has had a solid answer. I don't fix my cars via "my car is broken, please fix it with a box full of parts via forum guesses" so if you want to comment on this, please do it with grease covered fingers and not receipts from your local performance shop.

MM

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
At that much drop you have absolutely no suspension travel unless you are running a custom setup. I dropped mine on koni's and h&r super sports which is 2 inches all around and I was riding on the maximum motorsports dropped bumpstops. I would do a one piece ds or upper and lower control arm corrections first.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't mess with the driveshaft. My car was lowered ~2.5 inches with AST coilovers and a bunch of other stuff such that the suspension still worked correctly. Never had any odd driveshaft noises or vibrations through lots and lots of track time.

mr_exon

Reaction score
I don't have noise, it just looks fkd up dropped in the middle at the hoop, and yea the uci is at .5* dead on.... It just I was hoping some one tried removing those spacers for the hoop and if it did not bottom out the drive shaft slips...

As for the drop, I live in Las Vegas NV... Roads are flat here... I still have 2-2.5" of suspension travel and I did paint all the bump stops with always wet paint(if they ever hit, I will know)

blacksunshine01

Reaction score
Wow. Im on h&r race with no isos and blew out the lr bump stop with in a week of drivi g. The remaining rr stock bump stop is sniffing the frame at a stop

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
Even with a measly 1" drop with Steeda Sport springs, I still have to cut the OEM bump stops to keep the car from riding on the bump stops. Just take a hacksaw to them.

hayden55

ModdedMustangs Convert
Reaction score
Wow. Im on h&r race with no isos and blew out the lr bump stop with in a week of drivi g. The remaining rr stock bump stop is sniffing the frame at a stop

You're supposed to trim them to the last hump of the bumpstop. I had those springs and they were decently low but not that low. I just cut my friends bumpstops for him who is on super sports. He was literally on them. haha.
They ride just fine with the correct height bumpstops.
Oh and i also took out the bumpstops for that extra drop lmao.
Ended up going coilovers and set it to the same drop. Suprisingly im running a lighter spring in the rear now vs how fricken solid the HR rates were back there.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back