Trying to fix my screwed up mustang + parts compatability question

Walter

Reaction score
Good evening. About a month ago, I spun out and hit a curb, the front right lower control arm, right tie rod (rack and pinion done for?), k member and 1 rail bent out of shape. I believe that I can get this fixed, there's plenty of parts, and I know some guys who know some guys. I believe I will pull a used rack and pinion assembly from an lkq GT, along with a lower control arm and possibly a k member. As for the rail, think I'll either pay someone to weld a good section onto it, or pay someone to pull it back into shape. I believe that the hardest part will be the rail, as it is not bolted to the body, but welded. Do any of you know which method of fixing it would be better, bending it back to shape or welding a good rail on? Would bending it back into shape make the metal weaker?

As for the parts compatability question, it's something I have not been able to get a straight answer on. Do any of you know if a K Member from a V6 S197 will fit on a V8 S197? I initially thought that I would need a K Member from a GT, but my dad insisted that one from a V6 would fit, and then I realized that all of the listings for aftermarket/used k members do not make a distinction between V6 and V8, so I thought they were interchangeable. And then he asked me again if a K Member from a V6 would fit on my V8, and now I just don't know, because Google does not explicitly state it.

Last edited:

Dallas281

Reaction score
As for the k member look online at like BMR and other brands that sell k members. I am 99% sure the v6 is the same as the v8. Also before you spend any money go to a frame shop and get a quote. Get it done right otherwise the car will be dangerous, never steer right and parts like the k member wont line up.

Walter

Reaction score
As for the k member look online at like BMR and other brands that sell k members. I am 99% sure the v6 is the same as the v8. Also before you spend any money go to a frame shop and get a quote. Get it done right otherwise the car will be dangerous, never steer right and parts like the k member wont line up.
If I can't find a good used K Member, I just might bite the bullet and go buy one from BMR. Just wanted an oem one since it seems sturdier than the tubes.
And yeah, now that you say it aloud, it does make more sense to get a shop to do it. Think the whole "weld a new rail" part was just me thinking of any way I could possibly fix it

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
1. The V6 k member is the same as the GT and will bolt straight on.

2. You need a body shop with a frame machine to repair the bent frame rail. It'll slowly be pulled straight, and any badly deformed metal will be cut away with new steel welded in to restore structural integrity.

3. A note to others as well. The front only has one control arm and there's no upper or lower.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Take it to a body shop and let them handle squaring the car. You can take it from there.
This would be great time to EPAS swap the car, check out https://wireeverything.com/s197-epas-conversion for more info on the swap.

The front suspension interchanges between v6/GT/GT500. There is a lot of upgrading to be done in the front end dependign on what model you source parts from.

Walter

Reaction score
For any still here, I lucked out and found a k member on a GT. Also bought some wheel dolly and moved the car under the car port. This isn't everything I need but it's a good start, I'll post some more pics here in a bit. I can also get some pictures of the damage tomorrow

20230603_181520.jpg

Walter

Reaction score
And progress so far. I don't think I'll be able to work on it this week but I can probably source parts. I'm gonna buy some new control arms and shocks online, and then try to pull off a rack and pinion assembly from another car. The hardest part, then, will be the rail. I'll get a picture tomorrow, but it isn't so gnarly, just caved in. I was having doubts on how I'd be able to get it trailered to a body shop, but I did have this trailered home in the first place, so it's definitely possible. Also, going to look into that EPAS conversion since I'll have to take the steering assembly out anyways

20230603_180236.jpg

Walter

Reaction score
Damage photos. Last one is the actual structural damage. My dad and the tow truck guy both think that a new k member can be bolted right on, at least for the drive to the shop. I don't think that'll work, it might even bend the k member. Going to have to tow it to the shop like I had the car towed home, or I'll have to pay a guy with a flat bad.

20230605_112539.jpg

20230605_112550.jpg

20230605_112601.jpg

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I can't see how the new k member will bolt on. The holes won't line up with the floor buckled as it is, and it looks like you'll need to replace the swaybar since the end is bent backwards.

MrBhp

Reaction score
Which Cars and Coffee did this happen at?

Walter

Reaction score
I can't see how the new k member will bolt on. The holes won't line up with the floor buckled as it is, and it looks like you'll need to replace the swaybar since the end is bent backwards.
That was what I thought about this as well. I'm gonna see about getting that piece of rail straightened, and then bolting on the new parts. As for the swaybar, another item on the list

RepulsiveReject

Reaction score
If I can't find a good used K Member, I just might bite the bullet and go buy one from BMR. Just wanted an oem one since it seems sturdier than the tubes.
And yeah, now that you say it aloud, it does make more sense to get a shop to do it. Think the whole "weld a new rail" part was just me thinking of any way I could possibly fix it
So something cool you could do is buy the S197 II K-member to be able to install the EPAS (electronic power steering) and get some more horses as well as mpg!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back