I am new here guys but here is my pedigree:

93 Coral Reef Notch 42K miles black interior all stock
92 Black Black notch, chrome ponies, GT40 and iron X heads
94 Cobra 306 DSS with a Procharger
95 Cobra Trick flow everything
98 Cobra Big Bore
03 Cobra vert, pulley, CAI, tune
All sold

Anyway I work for BMW and usually keep one but the lease rates are shit and I am about to turn my 07 in. Went to the Ford dealer here and looked over all the Roush, Saleen, Shelby and standard GT stuff. The Shelby GT is what I really want but I dont care for Vista Blue, would want white.

I love the look of the Bullitt car! Probably the best handling Mustang I have been in no doubt about it. I was dissappointed in one thing....I didnt realize that it still carried a T5! I was thinking the 3:73 gear and a T56 would actually be a fun ride.....no so much with the T5. Ultimately I want to do a Hellion kit and keep the car dailydriver reliable but with some real blast on tap if i want to. Now I am consider a Shelby GT500 coupe which will cost me as much as a new 335i coupe and once software is added the GT500 really isnt any quicker!

Change my mind about what mods really wake the 3V up! I have read the mags with a few bolt ons going 12.50's but that rarely seems to be the case without a pro driver. Tell me if anyone felt this way at first with their S197? I do think its the best Mustang Ford has ever made. :beer:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
There are a few guys out here with base GT autos that are not pro drivers who spent about $4k - $5k and are running mid to low 12's If you can throw $7k - $8k you can get in the 11's. I think a total of $28k - $32k to run mid 11's is not too bad.

I have about $5,300 in go-fast parts and got in the high 12's, but I have a stick. Once I get my DR's installed I should be closer to 12.5.

SloSVO

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I don't think you should compare a gt500 to a 335... to me they are too different cars.. the gt500 will never have the comfort of the 335 and the 335 will never have the acceleration of the gt500..

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Now I am consider a Shelby GT500 coupe which will cost me as much as a new 335i coupe and once software is added the GT500 really isnt any quicker!

An S197 with a twin screw supercharger (Saleen, KB, or Whipple) and some aftermarket suspension components will leave a 335i coupe in the dust. Possibly even an M5 or M6 for that matter if the HP, suspension and gears are all correct.

Very easy to get 600+ HP at the crank and 500RWHP with a twin screw and the right tune.

I will let the turbo guys handle that part of the thread since my experience is with a twin screw.

If it were me, I'd forget the overpriced Shelby GT500 and get the Bullit if you like its look. Slap on a TS SC, put the T56 in it that you want, and enjoy the hell out of it for far less that $45K!

Hope this helps. Strictly my :2cents:.

Mike

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
Now I am consider a Shelby GT500 coupe which will cost me as much as a new 335i coupe and once software is added the GT500 really isnt any quicker!

And when software is added to a GT500 becomes even more quicker. :idea:

DKO

Shut up and die!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
GT500 with just a tune puts down about 500whp. That'll dust the bimmer. As said before, it's a T3650 in the manual cars, not a T5. Not sure where you got that information from. And the factory bullitt comes with 3.73s. Although for an NA modular 4.10s is the better choice.

In regards to the shelby GT, you can get one in white, just look around.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
/\ what they said!

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Welcome!! With the mods in my sig Ive done a best of 12.7 @ 107. That is driver limited mind you...She has a 12.50 in her..i just need to iron out the first 60ft. I also still need longtube headers, aluminum driveshaft and a few other weight saving goodies and I should be seeing some nice gains.

All the performance parts to get me to the 12 sec zone has cost around 2k give or take. Now you could save that 2k and put it towards a turbo or twin screw and have amazing results.....Im pushing anywhere from 310-320 RWhp and 320-325Rwtq...with a power adder 450rwhp on a stock motor is the norm.

Good luck with your decision

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
there's a new red GT500 in lodi, ca ford for 47K... no mark up!

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what? no more SYT? Now it will be a SRT...

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
for both worlds i'd go with the 335i, but if u want to go fast i'd do the gt500. i had a 335i and it was ok. i got rid of it since everytime i went to the drag strip it had to spend a week at the service department. plus i think that $1200 for an xpipe, $1000 or more for a computer reflash to make go faster is way too much money. all aftermarkets parts are expensive.

the gt500 will not even be close to the 335i on confort and luxury, but trust me if u are a man that likes to go fast, it has a lot more balls and potential than pretty much anything on its price range and direct matches.

i dont like the bullit stang anyways.

jymontoya

forum member
Reaction score
Get the Bullitt, supercharge it with one of the guaranteed twin-screws.

Make McQueen Proud.

That's what we're doing!

:D

bad06gt

Reaction score
bimmers are expensive, least on a gt500 your oil filter costs 6 bucks lol. Thank you motorcraft 820 :)

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
it really doesn't take much to get a new gt in the 12's nowadays....like mentioned above, if you want the comfort get the 335 and shelby if not. I'm not a great driver but last year mine with 13.3^103.7 but only got one pass cause I got booted for no helmet wiht a 1.97 60'...so definately more room for improvement. Mods are mac axle back, off road xpipe, 3.31 gears. I got got an x-cal3 a couple weeks ago and i'm anxious to get back to the track and see if i can get a 12.9 with the 3.31's.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back