Drying Towels

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
Ive read leafblowers work well, but Im not a fucking weirdo and about to have the neighbors thinking Im on drugs because Im leafblowing my car.

Terry towels micro scratch, and there is no way Im using a chamois, and it seems microfiber rags dont dry well.

So what are you detailing gurus using for drying your cars?

Thanks gentlemen.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
It sounds counter productive but the micro fiber towels need to be wet before they will absorb. Once I am done washing I throw a full open towel on the roof and one on the hood and let them slowly absorb some water. Once done I hand wring them out and use one like a chamois to get most of the water off and then lightly wipe with the other to get the rest off.

Last edited:

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Waffle weave is the best option out there for sure. Also I like to use some Ultima waterless wash as a drying lubricant to prevent micro marring.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
I use the leaf blower to knock the worst of it off, then microfibers to finish up. And yes, they do tend to work better with a little moisture in them.

And yes, my neighbors look at me crazy when I blow the car off. It's sort of a running joke around the neighborhood. Of course, the guys that rib me never wash their vehicles. When I say never, I mean it.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I think I am the only person on my street that actually washes my car by hand. I have NEVER seen any of my close neighbors outside washing their cars. Like joe said above, I use the leaf blower to get most of it off, then the remaining water I use a microfiber. And I honestly could not care less what my neighbors think of me, but they do all know I'm a car guy, so it's all good.

28ONE

Reaction score

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
So just out of curiosity... how can the Ultra Waterless Plus Concentrate be waterless if that is how you dilute it? Just sayin...

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
So just out of curiosity... how can the Ultra Waterless Plus Concentrate be waterless if that is how you dilute it? Just sayin...

Its the idea of it. You can wash your entire car with 1 5 gallon bucket and you could even load it with towels and get multiple washes out of it. Yes its not waterless but its alot less water then a traditional 2 bucket wash plus some of use use foam cannons and also sheeting after your finished washing

gothamite302

forum member
Reaction score

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
This kit works great because you're basically lubing the drying towel to prevent scratches. Griot's microfiber towels are the softest I've ever seen, too.

That was the trick I picked up from an experienced detailer. Lightly mist the still wet car with a QD before wiping it down with MF towels. The DQ helps the towel to glide more easily across the paint, and most DQ will flash off the last bit of water so it's not necessary to rub the towel on the paint until the last trace of water is gone.

I've tried almost all of Griot's MF towel and have since retired them in favor of towels from Chemical Guys. If you are searching for a seriously soft towel, try one of these: http://www.chemicalguys.com/Sasquatch_Maximus_Microfiber_Towel_p/mic_1901_1.htm

Griot's stuff are ok, but nothing special. There are much less expensive stuff out there that does a better job.

Last edited:

99horsey

forum member
Reaction score
I've tried almost all of Griot's MF towel and have since retired them in favor of towels from Chemical Guys. If you are searching for a seriously soft towel, try one of these: http://www.chemicalguys.com/Sasquatch_Maximus_Microfiber_Towel_p/mic_1901_1.htm

Griot's stuff are ok, but nothing special. There are much less expensive stuff out there that does a better job.

Thanks - will definitely have to try some of those. I thought the Griot's were super soft (but pricey). Those are a no brainer if they are even softer.

ChrisGT

Nice Shirt Bilkins
Reaction score
I sheet the car, use a leaf blower to blow the typical areas where water gets trapped, then use The Absorber on the remaining water. It absorbs an insane amount of water and leaves a streak-free finish.

I have done direct sunlight tests of the Absorber, and it does not mar the surface even the slightest bit. All the damage is done via your wash mitt. Just be sure to rinse/sheet the whole car off again right before you use it and there won't be anything to get caught and drug down the surface.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
Most people in here that I've seen have graduated from Costco towels and the like. I used em when I was 17 on my first car, but they're cheap Chinese microfibers. Not nearly as soft as the Korean made stuff and won't last as long.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back