Duck Hunters come on in!

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
I have a question............are banded birds considered more "dersireable"?

Some of them are worth alot of money, so yes, it's like playing the lottery.

Plus it's just kind of neat to find out where they came from ,etc.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Some of them are worth alot of money, so yes, it's like playing the lottery.

Plus it's just kind of neat to find out where they came from ,etc.
Hmmmmm, never heard you could get money from it.

Poor birdies.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, never heard you could get money from it.

Poor birdies.

Yep, and I've seen birds with 2 or 3 bands meaning they've been caught and released multiple times. These poor birdies would destroy crops in no time if their population wasn't controlled by hunters. :)

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yep, and I've seen birds with 2 or 3 bands meaning they've been caught and released multiple times. These poor birdies would destroy crops in no time if their population wasn't controlled by hunters. :)
Oh I know and understand the way of conservation and population control. I am not against hunting.....I used to hunt. I am just a HUGE bird lover, so it breaks my heart a bit to see this.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Oh I know and understand the way of conservation and population control. I am not against hunting.....I used to hunt. I am just a HUGE bird lover, so it breaks my heart a bit to see this.

So am I. I used to have a few pet quail. I used them for training purposes with my setter(humanly). I especially love birds of prey though. My dad grew up hawking and I still know several people who hunt with their raptors. I know how to do it, but I just don't have the time anymore. It's one of the things on "the list".

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So am I. I used to have a few pet quail. I used them for training purposes with my setter(humanly). I especially love birds of prey though. My dad grew up hawking and I still know several people who hunt with their raptors. I know how to do it, but I just don't have the time anymore. It's one of the things on "the list".
Birds of prey are my favorites as well. There is a beauty to them that is unmatched in the bird world, IMO.

Hawking, eh? That's cool! That's what actually got me into birds. I remember going to a hawking tutorial when I was young(my parents took me when they saw that I was gaining interest in birds) not knowing it was about birds preying on birds.....OOPS! Lol! I will never forget being face to face with a Harris Hawk.

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Well you seen my pics from the other thread. I used to have 1,000's of pictures on my old lap top. I just have 20-30 from this season now. Used to hunt on lake rayburn back home, but now we tear up the brazos river.

Duck hunting has been good here this year. Its been pretty cold in the mornings. I shot one banded duck last year. Went to have the bird mounted, but he was bruised so bad the feathers started falling out during the mount. Took the band off and its on my lanyard now.

Here is my boat

duckboat.jpg

duckboat2.jpg

duckboat4.jpg

Back