Duke Nukem Forever- who else is pumped

waketek516

Pedal to the Metal!
Reaction score
Just saw this on Yahoo too....
S197DukeNukem.jpg

Looks like I'll wait a bit and buy used next month.

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
Agreed. Thankfully I rented it from a redbox and only lost $2 for the night. I remember playing Duke on the office LAN at lunch. Those were the days!

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Three people I know played it and liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
It's sitting on my shelf and I haven't played it yet. Is it really that bad? I'm not expecting much (or any) plot or groundbreaking graphics ... just violence and a few un-PC laughs.

Are the critics trashing it for its juvenile content or is it just a bad game?

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
It's sitting on my shelf and I haven't played it yet. Is it really that bad? I'm not expecting much (or any) plot or groundbreaking graphics ... just violence and a few un-PC laughs.

Are the critics trashing it for its juvenile content or is it just a bad game?

I think they are bashing it mostly because lots of juvenile humor, lots of politically incorrect humor, and to some people very offensive content(the Hive level) also they think that after 14 years in development this should have been the best FPS ever released.

The game does have flaws, the graphics are dated (if you look at the extras when you beat the game, the version of the game that was released was basically done in 2009)

The controls are not that great, the are long loading times.

The critics say the gameplay is not that good because you solve puzzles then shoot enemies .......yeah sounds like a basic FPS formula to me, but the controls are not that great so I can see there point there sort of.

but to me the game was a blast, makes fun of a lot of other big games, movies, celebrities. you have big guns that blow shit up body parts flying everywhere. I have played through the whole campaign twice already and just started on going through it for a third time. no game in recent memory has made me want to play the campaign again after beating it.

to me this game is really fun and thats all that matters. is it a great game not by long shot, but to me it was fun as hell.

If I was to review the game as a critic and have to compare it to HALO or COD I would say DNF is probably a 6 out of 10

Fun Factor to me though was about 9 so I can look past its flaws. think of it like a summer pop corn flick, fun entertaining but not a oscar winner

2DaDarkZide PR

Vroom, Burble, Burble
Reaction score
I think they are bashing it mostly because lots of juvenile humor, lots of politically incorrect humor, and to some people very offensive content(the Hive level) also they think that after 14 years in development this should have been the best FPS ever released.

The game does have flaws, the graphics are dated (if you look at the extras when you beat the game, the version of the game that was released was basically done in 2009)

The controls are not that great, the are long loading times.

The critics say the gameplay is not that good because you solve puzzles then shoot enemies .......yeah sounds like a basic FPS formula to me, but the controls are not that great so I can see there point there sort of.

but to me the game was a blast, makes fun of a lot of other big games, movies, celebrities. you have big guns that blow shit up body parts flying everywhere. I have played through the whole campaign twice already and just started on going through it for a third time. no game in recent memory has made me want to play the campaign again after beating it.

to me this game is really fun and thats all that matters. is it a great game not by long shot, but to me it was fun as hell.

If I was to review the game as a critic and have to compare it to HALO or COD I would say DNF is probably a 6 out of 10

Fun Factor to me though was about 9 so I can look past its flaws. think of it like a summer pop corn flick, fun entertaining but not a oscar winner

It was being criticized mainly because it has horrible sound. Horrible graphics. Horrible story. lack luster shooting. It is like a 1995 game released today. As a fan, it had some temporary fun but I played it for a total of 20 minutes and was glad I didn't buy it.

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
Well I'll get around to it when I'm done with Crysis 2 and a couple of other games on my PC.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
It was being criticized mainly because it has horrible sound. Horrible graphics. Horrible story. lack luster shooting. It is like a 1995 game released today. As a fan, it had some temporary fun but I played it for a total of 20 minutes and was glad I didn't buy it.

I have to ask how can you make an assumption about a game if you only played about 20 minutes of it. If you only played 20 minutes im guessing you didnt get that far past "The Lady Killer" The first three levels of the game are pretty slow

But yes all the points on why it is criticized except the horrible story- I dont really remember any FPS with aliens having that great of a story hahaha.

Well I'll get around to it when I'm done with Crysis 2 and a couple of other games on my PC.

and if your playing on PC, some of the problems I described wont be as bad. The load times will be better, as will the graphics and the controls. From what I have read the 360 version(which I played) was the worst port of all.

2DaDarkZide PR

Vroom, Burble, Burble
Reaction score
I have to ask how can you make an assumption about a game if you only played about 20 minutes of it. If you only played 20 minutes im guessing you didnt get that far past "The Lady Killer" The first three levels of the game are pretty slow

But yes all the points on why it is criticized except the horrible story- I dont really remember any FPS with aliens having that great of a story hahaha.

and if your playing on PC, some of the problems I described wont be as bad. The load times will be better, as will the graphics and the controls. From what I have read the 360 version(which I played) was the worst port of all.

haha. Dead Space. Half Life. Halo. Battlefield. Bioshock. Fallout (FPS/RPG). Singularity. All have good stories. On the other hand, that is only a few to the hundreds available.

I may not have played much of the DNF game but that is all it took. If you like it, great as that is all that matters. Games are to entertain.

The game is inferior in every conceivable category except subjective entertainment.

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
haha. Dead Space. Half Life. Halo. Battlefield. Bioshock. Fallout (FPS/RPG). Singularity. All have good stories. On the other hand, that is only a few to the hundreds available.

I may not have played much of the DNF game but that is all it took. If you like it, great as that is all that matters. Games are to entertain.

The game is inferior in every conceivable category except subjective entertainment.
Game critics seem to value plot over all.

I'm actually one of those folks who doesn't really value a FPS for the story. I pretty much skip through cutscenes. I'm in it for the sense of immersion and freedom. I prefer games that give me the "open environment" feeling. Far Cry on the PC is a brilliant example of this ... huge environment and the luxury of time and space. I also liked Doom 3 which was criticized for having no plot but I liked because the atmosphere and environment were so great and immersive.

As a matter of fact ... some of the most plot heavy games I don't enjoy as much. Metal Gear Solid series is a prime example of this. The cutscenes were just too damn long. It felt like more of a movie than a game. The PS3 game's mechanics made no sense to me - where, in an overhead view, it seemed like I couldn't see beyond 15 ft in any direction.

Critics loved MGS ... I couldn't finish it. Too boring.

Fallout had a good open setting and just enough of a plot to keep things in tact but not make you feel constrained by the story.

My point is that I don't take too much (some ... but not too much) stock in game critics anymore. I'll see if that also holds for Duke Nukem.

Last edited:

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
The first Metal Gear Solid on Playstation had just enough plot, but the second one on PS2 got way to deep for a video game hahahaha

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed the first MGS on PS1 .... but not as much as Syphon Filter which came out at the same time for PS1 - less plot but more immersive.

2DaDarkZide PR

Vroom, Burble, Burble
Reaction score
Game critics seem to value plot over all.

I'm actually one of those folks who doesn't really value a FPS for the story. I pretty much skip through cutscenes. I'm in it for the sense of immersion and freedom. I prefer games that give me the "open environment" feeling. Far Cry on the PC is a brilliant example of this ... huge environment and the luxury of time and space. I also liked Doom 3 which was criticized for having no plot but I liked because the atmosphere and environment were so great and immersive.

As a matter of fact ... some of the most plot heavy games I don't enjoy as much. Metal Gear Solid series is a prime example of this. The cutscenes were just too damn long. It felt like more of a movie than a game. The PS3 game's mechanics made no sense to me - where, in an overhead view, it seemed like I couldn't see beyond 15 ft in any direction.

Critics loved MGS ... I couldn't finish it. Too boring.

Fallout had a good open setting and just enough of a plot to keep things in tact but not make you feel constrained by the story.

My point is that I don't take too much (some ... but not too much) stock in game critics anymore. I'll see if that also holds for Duke Nukem.

Agreed, as good as MGS and Fallout are, I couldn't finish either. Too much work for a game.

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
I forced myself to finish MGS4 and it was such a chore. Seems like the cutscenes got longer the deeper you progressed. My beef with DNF is the long load times and the "formula" they seemed to follow...shoot some things, play boss. The shooting parts were easy then the boss scene was 1000x times harder then what you just did. I hated the mothership boss.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back