dumb crank question.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
i have a odd question on crankshaft fitment.
maybe someone here can answer it.

i have a NEW cammer block, pn # M-6010-t50.
i also have 3 stock GT500 crankshafts, 1 07 crank, 1 08 crank and 1 2011 crank.
is it even possible to use a 5.4 gt500 crank in a 4.6 block?

my guess is the crank would bolt in but the stroke would be to long for the 4.6 block. you would need custom shorter rods and pistons making it economically unworkable.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
The gt500 crank I have no idea. But I have heard it may be possible to slap in a 5.0 crank into a 4.6.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
No the 5.4 crank has too much stroke, you’d have to run short rods to make it work which would then throw everything out of ideal alignment.

5.0 cranks will work after machining, they’re not direct bolt in.

If you want more cubes get a stroker kit designed for the 4.6 block. Just my .02

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
If a stroker crank is used on a 4.6 can the oem oil pan still be used, or are the crank lobes extending too far down? On any of these stroked engs, is the upper rpm limit reduced ? IE: the total distance the pistons /rods move in a minute would be increased.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Stock oil pan isn’t an issue. Typically strokers don’t like the rev like the stroke stroke does, but will come into power a little earlier.

If that block you have has the larger 3.700 bore, which it thought they all came with, you’ll get more out of it from the larger pistons along with the additional stroke for sure.

What’s your goal with the build?

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
i had this block on the shelf for the last 3 years. i don't have a use for it now and no one want's to buy it at a decent price so i will just let it sit until i find a use for it.
a friend inquired about buying it and i was thinking out loud about a crank for him if he bought it.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Stock oil pan isn’t an issue. Typically strokers don’t like the rev like the stroke stroke does, but will come into power a little earlier.

If that block you have has the larger 3.700 bore, which it thought they all came with, you’ll get more out of it from the larger pistons along with the additional stroke for sure.

What’s your goal with the build?

What he said about the pan. I ran the stock pan with my stroker set up. I don't know if the S197 pans have the scrapers like the earlier models, but if they do they need to be clearanced. Or the crank will do it for you as I found out.

As for revving, it all depends on the set up I think. I spun mine to 6500, but it felt like it wanted more. I never got a chance to dyno it to see what the curve was like. A guy I knew did a BB/S set up in his Mach 1 and spun it to 7k. He had cams and all that as well.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I doubt there would be enough clearance at the bottom of the cylinder for the connecting rod.
Only way I could see this working is to offset grind the crank towards the inside and use a rod with a much smaller journal on it.
Not likely to be worth the effort.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
i didn't think it would work when i posted this question. i was just thinking out loud.
that's why my question starts with DUMB.

honestly in my opinion the crank would work in the block. the 4.6, 5.4 and the 5.8 blocks all use the same oil pan. so i would assume the lower block skirts and dimensions below the cylinders are all the same size. the 5.4 crank journals are probably larger in diameter than the 4.6. the biggest problem is the deck height is taller in the 5.4 block than the 4.6. taller deck height will have longer stroke crank and require shorter rods and no one makes them.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Almost 100% postive they all use the same main journal spec.

I would stock crank it with 4V heads and let it sing at high rpm

EDIT: A quick replacement main bearing search shows they use the same bearings.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back