E85 on stock Whipple HO 3v

84T-TopNotch

forum member
Reaction score
My fuel system was a gt500 setup with dual 405s, BAP came off when I put that in as it was no longer needed. The driveability with dual 405's running returnless wasn't that great because of voltage spikes creating pressure spikes creating voltage drops and pressure drops and herky jerky jerky driving at low speed.

Not to go against Jeremy because he knows his shit, but eventually you'll probably want to put a block in it and turn power up more. Why not just get a gt500 setup now? I know its more money but I spent money 2 or 3 times instead of once. I'm not even sure what you need pump wise to support your goal.
Not planning on taking this car any further. Bought a forged rotating assembly but building a turbo 3v fox with that instead now. Want this car to be a fun street car/driver.

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
My friend bought a whipple ho set up from here in classifieds. Hes running 93 octane using gt500 pumps and is at 505/490 has been now for over a year and drives it everywhere . I really feel a lot of the issues you hear about is in the tune/poor fuel quality or beating the dog snot out of it with no reguard to rpm's

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
You aren't talking about crazy power, barely over 500 right? I'd think a 320 should support that. But I don't know. The BAP suggest may be for added safety.

84T-TopNotch

forum member
Reaction score
You aren't talking about crazy power, barely over 500 right? I'd think a 320 should support that. But I don't know. The BAP suggest may be for added safety.
Mike Rousch says he maxed out same pump with e85 and 360hp na. Seems low and maybe there were other factors to it but hard to argue with first hand experience. Guess I'll call up S&H again and sort something out before I make order.

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Mike Rousch says he maxed out same pump with e85 and 360hp na. Seems low and maybe there were other factors to it but hard to argue with first hand experience. Guess I'll call up S&H again and sort something out before I make order.

This is true, I dont have any experience with that pump and a BAP, so maybe it will be ok but i doubt it. I figure that pump alone should support about 470ish "safely" on 93 oct and 75-100 more with a BAP. Then subtract about 25-30% for E85. Of course the only hard data i have is it maxed out in my combo with no BAP, Everything else is just my opinion.

84T-TopNotch

forum member
Reaction score
Just got off phone with Bobby at S&H and he said it should support 600 alone on 93. Subtract 30%(180hp) for e85 and then figure in the bap gain. I'm so lost on all this now

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Dude seriously. Just do the diy dual pump setup....you can find 255 pumps for next to nothing. They don't draw a lot of amps so you should have no problem running the 320 and 255 off one fpdm. Or sell me the 320 and get 2 255s then i know you can run them on 1 driver

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.modifymystang.com/2005-mustang-gt-gt500-walbro-high-performance-fuel-pump-assembly/
what about the Walbro 400lph? It works with the stock stuff right?
just a thought. I have no idea what I'm talking about. Lol

It will work but you can only use one pump. Trying to run two will cause issue with the returnless setup. Better have upgraded wiring though. The 465 will not work.

Could be wrong but don't think it's e85 compatible.

It's not certified for it but it's as capable as the factory pump or any of the other Walbro's. I wouldn't worry running E85 through it, lots of people do it.

84T-TopNotch

forum member
Reaction score
Did some research and looks like 320 pump is good for around 550hp with bap on 93. I need a pump to support 550-600hp on e85 to have extra safe room. The search continues...

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
My fuel system was a gt500 setup with dual 405s, BAP came off when I put that in as it was no longer needed. The driveability with dual 405's running returnless wasn't that great because of voltage spikes creating pressure spikes creating voltage drops and pressure drops and herky jerky jerky driving at low speed.

Not to go against Jeremy because he knows his shit, but eventually you'll probably want to put a block in it and turn power up more. Why not just get a gt500 setup now? I know its more money but I spent money 2 or 3 times instead of once. I'm not even sure what you need pump wise to support your goal.

I have the same issue with my single 405 when I run e85 in the tank. My tuner did everything he could think of to smooth it out but no luck. It only does it on e85, you can see the fuel rail pressure jumping all over the place, til you put your foot on it and it's clean/steady. It doesn't have this issue on 91. But I would guess as you have experienced, add a second big pump and it's there.

As far as how much power the pump supports, I think it's more closely related to injector size/flow and at what psi the fuel pressure will be tuned for, to determine when the pump runs out. I've seen single 255's get spanked at 450whp on 91. Judging by my FPDC, I don't think my 405 will make it to 600whp, and I'm on a BAP.

I feel some tuners can get the most out of a fuel pump, and some tuners won't. Jeremy has told me on several occasions what the 255, 360, and 405 are "capable" of, but it rarely pans out on the dyno. I already know dual 405's are in my future when I do my boss build and go for 600whp. It will be return style though, for reasons discussed above.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
This is true, I dont have any experience with that pump and a BAP, so maybe it will be ok but i doubt it. I figure that pump alone should support about 470ish "safely" on 93 oct and 75-100 more with a BAP. Then subtract about 25-30% for E85. Of course the only hard data i have is it maxed out in my combo with no BAP, Everything else is just my opinion.

Are you running properly sized injectors? Reason being is I know if you try to up the fuel pressure to compensate for smaller injectors this will lower the MAX HP a fuel pump will support. I'm a perfect example of this. I'm currently running E85 on stock pump and injectors. The fuel pressure is upped to meet the demands of E85 on the stock injectors. Right now it will hit 98-99% (possibly 100) duty cycle whereas others with bigger injectors can make more HP than me on the stock pump since they're not running the same fuel pressure.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I have the same issue with my single 405 when I run e85 in the tank. It doesn't have this issue on 91.

That is weird. I'd expect that your issues would be more pronounced on 91. On 91 you have less fuel being used for those low speed driving conditions so I'd think spikes would be more noticeable. Either way I do believe those pumps to be too large for returnless. Didn't someone do a return style gt500 hat or even a stock hat? I thought Jeremy did it once.

84T-TopNotch

forum member
Reaction score
Are you running properly sized injectors? Reason being is I know if you try to up the fuel pressure to compensate for smaller injectors this will lower the MAX HP a fuel pump will support. I'm a perfect example of this. I'm currently running E85 on stock pump and injectors. The fuel pressure is upped to meet the demands of E85 on the stock injectors. Right now it will hit 98-99% (possibly 100) duty cycle whereas others with bigger injectors can make more HP than me on the stock pump since they're not running the same fuel pressure.
Running 60s

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score

Yep, GT500 injectors. FPDC starts .49 around 5900 RPMs and pressure has dropped from 40ish to high 20s by 6700. It's just out of pump.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Now you have me worried and thinking again. I was going to do 3 AEM 320s in return style to shot for 1000whp. I took a gt500 dual pump kit with a bap to 740whp

Back