e85, why not?

cjtenney

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Alright, Ive been pondering the thought of running e85 in my car. Upgrading the lines, injectors, fuel pumps, a tune, etc.. to make it happen obviously, but i want to know why noone has really done it to an s197. Ive got friends who have made the switch in Evos, s2000s, and rx7s, none of which are domestics, but still... they are making crazy power on it and running more boost, faster et's, etc... Ive got the resources to make it happen, but didnt really want to be the test dummy. Oh well! someone please give me a reason not to try this otherwise its game on.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!!! :beer:

I believe its been done, but it's not widespread. Probably because you can't get E85 most places. I've never seen E85 here in SoCal at all. In fact, I've never personally seen an E85 pump anywhere.

But, if it were available, I'd be tempted to do a switch myself. But, only once my car was no longer a daily driver. I like the big octane rating of E85 for racing purposes, but to use it on a daily basis would likely be prohibitively expensive.

cjtenney

Official Vendor
Reaction score
thanks for the welcome! i wouldnt say e85 is at every gas station here in Indiana, but its at some of the major ones. There are corn fields in any direction you look, where i come from...haha. My car isnt a daily driver so that is nice, and I can experiment alittle bit. I think some 60lb injectors, new lines, a tune, and dual GT fuel pumps should be enough...im still NA w thumper cams. Might spray down the road but we'll see.

fin1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Alright, Ive been pondering the thought of running e85 in my car. Upgrading the lines, injectors, fuel pumps, a tune, etc.. to make it happen obviously, but i want to know why noone has really done it to an s197.

It's been done. Will (Redfire) is running E85 and has gone as fast as 10.21.

Last edited:

WELLS

forum member
Reaction score
Ok first off E-85 burns at about 80% of the effiecency of regular gas. Therefore you get less gas mileage. E-85 isnt much cheaper when you figure in the fact that your gas mileage goes down vs. the price difference it isnt a wise investment. your basically getting the same cost as running regular gas if not more. And it cost you 500-700 dollars to convert. you may need to use octane booster to help it burn better.

WELLS

forum member
Reaction score
How do the turbo cars like an evo get better et's if they are burning less efficent therefore wasting power? not sure I believe that one.

08GOGT

forum member
Reaction score
The reason they get more out of e85 is because its basically 105 octane rating. So with the higher rating they are able to run more boost timing vs 93/91 octane.

VMP Tuning actually did a stock s197 with e85 and it made some nice tq gains. they did back to back dynos by draining the tank. the stock setup can run e85 its just that you are right at the limit of the fuel pump/injectors. You would need to upgrade the pump to something like the gt500 setup and larger injectors for a modded car.

here in FL only 3 stations open to the public sell e85. But when I go to vegas I see it at tons of pumps and it was fairly cheap.

if they had it here in Fl I would love to build a high cr N/A setup to run e85 for the street. But I could not bring myself to run race gas on the street like some guys I know.

nmeofdst82

STY RMY
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The reason they get more out of e85 is because its basically 105 octane rating. So with the higher rating they are able to run more boost timing vs 93/91 octane.

VMP Tuning actually did a stock s197 with e85 and it made some nice tq gains. they did back to back dynos by draining the tank. the stock setup can run e85 its just that you are right at the limit of the fuel pump/injectors. You would need to upgrade the pump to something like the gt500 setup and larger injectors for a modded car.

here in FL only 3 stations open to the public sell e85. But when I go to vegas I see it at tons of pumps and it was fairly cheap.

if they had it here in Fl I would love to build a high cr N/A setup to run e85 for the street. But I could not bring myself to run race gas on the street like some guys I know.

If i remember all I read, there is also the problem of the acidity of e85...you cant just use it in stock fuel systems for long. I think part of it has to do with the seals and stuff. I'd have to read up on it again.

Buzzystang

forum member
Reaction score
VMP Tuning and Modular Fords had some good forum discussions going in July (during the gas price hike) on conversion to e85. Justin at VMP is the only reputable mail order tuner I know doing e85 tunes. As mentioned before he has a good write up on his website forum regarding some dyno runs on e85.

I bought one of his tunes and tried it out. The closest gas station to me carries e85. It's a cheap thrill on race day compared to the cost of race gas, but for daily driving its not really worth it. I'd put it down as one of the last mods to do, after you've invested most your cash on other hi-po mods.

Reaction score
I have *heard* it messes up your gas tank too, but i dunno if it is true or not.

08GOGT

forum member
Reaction score
Its older cars that have the e85 issue. Most new cars use rubbers that can handle e85. You should not have any seal issues with e85 in a s197

DarkFireGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its older cars that have the e85 issue. Most new cars use rubbers that can handle e85. You should not have any seal issues with e85 in a s197
Exactly. There's so much misinformation out there about E85. I believe some is circulated by the oil companies. But basically, any car this century can handle E85. In fact, the only difference between a Mustang an Escape, E85 wise, is certification. Ford did not see the Mustang as being a big E85 market, so no reason to pay for the certification.

As long as you have the fuel system to support it, you'll see some good gains, especially if you're FI. And with a good tune, you can drive it on the street and only see 1-3MPG loss. Basically, if you want cheaper gas, it's not worth it. If you want cheaper race gas, then it's definitely worth it.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How do the turbo cars like an evo get better et's if they are burning less efficent therefore wasting power? not sure I believe that one.

Theres nothing to not belive. Its chemistry. To go the same distance as a gallon of gas, the same car on E85 will use 1.4 gallons.

cjtenney

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I wasnt considering doing this to get crazy awesome gas mileage. This was strictly for performance. I just thought about switching because Im eventually going FI and I have to buy the fuel system and injectors anyways, so why not try in NA for awhile, until i get my Saleen or Hellion, etc..

Reaction score
Exactly. There's so much misinformation out there about E85. I believe some is circulated by the oil companies. But basically, any car this century can handle E85. In fact, the only difference between a Mustang an Escape, E85 wise, is certification. Ford did not see the Mustang as being a big E85 market, so no reason to pay for the certification.

As long as you have the fuel system to support it, you'll see some good gains, especially if you're FI. And with a good tune, you can drive it on the street and only see 1-3MPG loss. Basically, if you want cheaper gas, it's not worth it. If you want cheaper race gas, then it's definitely worth it.

Yea that makes sense. I just heard it from one source, forgot where really and have not read/heard anything other. But i can see a big push for E85 coming because hell, everyone is afraid of gas crisis..... The crap is starting to sell out again around town.....

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nothing will replace gas. E85 is the stupidest shit ever put into action.
1. Raises food prices
2. takes more energy to make than it does gasoline
3. Burns quicker so its less efficient than gasoline so the cheaper cost does not out way the alternative.
4. The more you make the less profit you have. After 15million barrels you start to loose money.

Oh but its cheap race fuel and you'll smell like yummy corn

shard phoenix

Reaction score
I looked into this one time, I think the pump alone was around 585 for one that was compatible with e-85, but that was several years ago.

08GOGT

forum member
Reaction score
I wasnt considering doing this to get crazy awesome gas mileage. This was strictly for performance. I just thought about switching because Im eventually going FI and I have to buy the fuel system and injectors anyways, so why not try in NA for awhile, until i get my Saleen or Hellion, etc..

If you are going FI and plan on going e85 you need to size the setup for e85. it will require more flow from the pumps and larger injectors vs regular gas

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back