Easy Soldering DIY

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Short vid with a neat trick on how to easily solder wires on the car to get a good solid strong connection.

(You can see better detail if you open it up)

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeap when i have everything setup and a nice place to work I still do it the instructed way, but with this way bc the solder flows on itself and evenly coats all the way around the wire theres no need to tin each piece with a thin coat before you put it together. Its super easy this way and much faster, especialy when you dont have a nice place to work and you dont have to sacrifice the the strength or qaulity of the connection when working it a tough spot.

Last edited:

Shane361

forum member
Reaction score
Yeap when i have everything setup and a nice place to work I still do it the instructed way, but with this way bc the solder flows on itself and evenly coats all the way around the wire theres no need to tin each piece with a thin coat before you put it together. Its super easy this way and much faster, especialy when you dont have a nice place to work and you dont have to sacrifice the the strength or qaulity of the connection when working it a tough spot.

Are you Navy by chance with the 1205 NEC?

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
NICE! Never thought about wrapping the solder around the wires... that would make it much easier in tight spots. Thanks for posting!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
NICE! Never thought about wrapping the solder around the wires... that would make it much easier in tight spots. Thanks for posting!

:beerchug2:

Yup way easier! Ive been using this trick for awhile now and I saw someone complaining about soldering the other day and I had a chance to take a vid this morning as i was doing the maf extension. So I posted it up. Whats cool about this trick(besides the fact you dont have to hold the solder) is because it is wrapped all the way around the wires, as the soldering iron heats the solder, the heat travels all the way around the wires and as the solder starts to flow it bonds to itslef all the way around completeing covering the wires quickly and pretty evenly.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Nice video! I have always done that type of splice, but the idea of wrapping the soldier would solve a lot of issues. How many watts is your iron as it seems to really heat the joint up quickly and I would be concerned about not getting the soldier melted deeply into the joint??

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its a 35watt but is variable with 10 settings, I had it set on 5. You want it hot enough so that it quickly flows and coats all the way around but not too hot or the wrapped around solder will break apart and drop off. A standard 10-20watt iron will work okay if its too hot you jsut have to move alittle more quickly. I should note that this is also key for this method to work well. Also i clean off the tip each time really well because at that temp you dont want the solder to grab on and flow/puddle on the tip of the iron.

Last edited:

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Neat trick, it would have come in handy for my Whipple install.

I'll have to try this next time.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice trick Jeremy, thanks for posting this. I wish I had this trick when I was doing the wires for my EBoost2.

Earl

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sweet..Navy here and finished 1205 before comming here which is Test Set Maintenance. I'm a Mineman at the Mineshop down here in Charleston, SC. -Shane

Cool never been down there i did 5 years ona sub out of norfolk and now im enjoying shore duty!

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
wish it would have worked for my mini-din .. now I have to pay =-/ ahhhhh

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I have to post objection to the melting step. You want the heat from the wires to melt the solder, not run melted solder onto the wires. It looks like you melted the solder by quickly running the soldering iron tip across the solder, which will cause it to melt and run some, yes. Same reason you dont melt the solder with the soldering tip.

This method works for smaller wires. When you splice bigger wires and need more solder, you'll run into not having enough solder. If you wrap more around, there's less application of heat to the wires to cause the solder to melt.

The strong physical connection of twisting the wires tightly together is always important.
Nicely done. But, you also dont just want the solder to hold the connection together all by itself.

I like your heat shrink method...similar to what I use :)

Nice writeup, too.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
I have to post objection to the melting step. You want the heat from the wires to melt the solder, not run melted solder onto the wires. It looks like you melted the solder by quickly running the soldering iron tip across the solder, which will cause it to melt and run some, yes. Same reason you dont melt the solder with the soldering tip.

This method works for smaller wires. When you splice bigger wires and need more solder, you'll run into not having enough solder. If you wrap more around, there's less application of heat to the wires to cause the solder to melt.

The strong physical connection of twisting the wires tightly together is always important.
Nicely done. But, you also dont just want the solder to hold the connection together all by itself.

I like your heat shrink method...similar to what I use :)

Nice writeup, too.

Exactly what I was thinking. I also keep a coat of solder on the tip of my gun which he directed not to do.

Taken from Wiki..

The most common defect when hand-soldering results from the parts being joined not exceeding the solder's liquidus temperature, resulting in a "cold solder" joint. This is usually the result of the soldering iron being used to heat the solder directly, rather than the parts themselves. Properly done, the iron heats the parts to be connected, which in turn melt the solder, guaranteeing adequate heat in the joined parts for thorough wetting.

This should be a DIY of what not to do.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back