Ecoboost Engine Failures

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give a short summary of why ecoboost motors are failing?

I have read messing with the PVC and manuals getting on it hard in top gear.

Are guys not using a completely separate catch can breather to just eliminate oil vapor completely?

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
In for the feedback. I've sold hundred of EcoBoost motors for the last few years and have only had 1 customer experience a failure of some sort, at least to my knowledge.

Had something to do with the rain though.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of any failures. Details? Links?

mustang6g has most that I have seen.

You would figure that with a new engine being modded and tuned you would see a learning curve. There are companies that never did much with V8 mustangs that really jumped in with the 4 cylinder being available.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Aren't most EcoBoosts rentals?

Maybe Enterprise/Avis/Hertz can start selling mods for them ...

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I would bet they are a popular leasing option. Ford is selling quite a few to people who are not interested in a V8 car.

Probably the wrong question for this forum. 6G is so full of stupid it is hard to weed through the crap.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
mustang6g has most that I have seen.

You would figure that with a new engine being modded and tuned you would see a learning curve. There are companies that never did much with V8 mustangs that really jumped in with the 4 cylinder being available.

Ah. You meant the 2.3 EB. I personally haven't sold that many, but I'm still interested to see the feedback.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score

I sell quite a few to Rental companies. Mainly Asian owned. With me being Asian, I know there's a joke in there somewhere.

I would bet they are a popular leasing option. Ford is selling quite a few to people who are not interested in a V8 car.

Probably the wrong question for this forum. 6G is so full of stupid it is hard to weed through the crap.

I think it's a topic that was bound to start sooner or later being 1.5ish model years into the S550 platform.

It makes for a decent lease, financially. Much better than the GT.

Don't by a bitch Mustang. /thread

If only I could say that to my customers.

On a side note, if y'all didn't catch the FB story, Mustang outsold Camaro and Challenger combined last month. The Camaro figures had 5th AND 6th Gen numbers included. V6 and EB obviously play their part for the company to keep provided us our favorite V8 pony cars.

04DarkShadowGT

forum member
Reaction score
I have read on Mustang6G that some people were blowing up motors when they floor it in a high gear like 6th. Supposedly the heavy load of trying to go full throttle without the mechanical advantage of a lower gear puts too much on the engine.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Interesting that the latest thread about a guy blowing up turned into a discussion about calcium level in oil. LOL

Stock 2016s don't seem to be failing like the 2015 model year. I would guess Ford has done some hardware and software tweaking.

I wonder how many of the hard core modded guys are running a breather catch can to eliminate any oil vapor in the intake? If I pick one up, might be the first thing I do.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
Im surprised that I dont see many failures from people modding them. Either that or people are not really pushing it too much.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 2016's have a redesigned pcv system. The 2015's are the ones popping from detonation. Youd think with the Fiesta and Focus ecoboost engines being out there for awhile Ford would have known what they were doing.....

Last edited:

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Not a big fan of turbocharged engines. Don't like the power band and you just have to believe the engines are being stressed a lot harder than the V8s in our GTs. Now throw in that they sound kinda crappy and there's just no attraction for me.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not a big fan of turbocharged engines. Don't like the power band and you just have to believe the engines are being stressed a lot harder than the V8s in our GTs. Now throw in that they sound kinda crappy and there's just no attraction for me.

They are making 600 HP out of these motors and rice 4 cylinders have been making big power for a long time. 400 HP isn't really leaning on these engines at all.

For my purposes, an ecoboost automatic would be a nice daily driver.

04DarkShadowGT

forum member
Reaction score
They are making 600 HP out of these motors and rice 4 cylinders have been making big power for a long time. 400 HP isn't really leaning on these engines at all.

For my purposes, an ecoboost automatic would be a nice daily driver.

He is right though, they do sound awful. Power wise, the eco 15 rental I drove was great. I just have yet to hear an ecoboost to sound remotely nice. Focus, Fiesta, Mustang, etc.

Back