ECU (make you think) question

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
ECU (make you think) question (RESULTS ARE IN)

I have purchased a new ECU from the dealer. It should be here in a couple days. I asked if it came with a factory tune and they said no. So the million dollar question is, If I go to load my tune into the ECU, will it freeze up the SCT tuner when it trys to download the stock tune?

I just fiqured it would mess up or something with my luck.

Last edited:

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
not completely sure but i would think it wouldnt work as the computer code wouldnt be the same.

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you will need to have it programmed at the dealership for it to even work. You should have the same ECU code so the SCT should work. If it doesn't have the same code then I would be hesitant. I'm not sure if it will work if your last ECU had been tuned and not returned to stock.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you return your car to stock with the SCT or is it still locked to the old computer? You will have to have Ford program the new computer before you can do anything with your SCT tuner. I also think you will have to get them to program it after the install because of the Pats system. You should check with SCT about your X3 as it may have to go back to them, if you didn't unlock it.

Earl

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
I plan on returning the current computer back to stock. My tuner can write to any strat code I need. I was just curious about there not being any program on the new computer

my current computer and wiring harness are auto, but I'm running a manual trans. I'm going to reinstall the manual harness and the new computer, which is for a manual. then load my tune

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I have never seen a new computer without any calibration, empty, actually they asks you what you have already to sell you one.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I think they'll get you one with the code they have registered in the as-built data.

In the same context, maybe many of you already know this but you can order a new key too by VIN and they will get you a key for your car, already cut and no other key works as good as an original.

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
The ECU's don't come empty they have the stock tune on it. But as stated you will need to get it programmed from the dealer for it to even start. If I remember correctly it needs to be programmed for the PATS and the dash.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The auto ecu can be used in a manual but the manual ecu can't be used with an auto. If you're swapping from a manual to an auto, 5R55S, you have to get an auto ecu but if you're swapping from an auto to a manual the auto ecu can be programed for the manual.

Earl

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
The ECU's don't come empty they have the stock tune on it. But as stated you will need to get it programmed from the dealer for it to even start. If I remember correctly it needs to be programmed for the PATS and the dash.

If they send the same strat code that originally came in the car, wouldn't it be a plug and play deal?

Last edited:

RRRoamer

Reaction score
I've had my PCM replaced in my 05. It took about 5 minutes for the tech to PHYSICALLY place the PCM and then another hour or so to finish the programming. Heck, 10 minutes of that was simply WAITING before it would initialize the PATS system. They include the wait so a rogue dealer tech with the Ford hardware/software/online account info wouldn't be able to steal cars by resetting PATS quickly. I guess they figure if you are willing to sit there for 10 minutes with the laptop plugged into the car, then you probably have a right to be there or really big balls! There was a lot of other things that he had to initialize by downloading the correct code from Ford as well.

So, there is no way to just buy a new PCM and bolt it onto your car. Well, not if you expect your car to start at any rate!

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
I installed the original 09 stick wiring harness and my new ECU tonight. Load my tune with the PATS turned off and she fired right up. Everything works.

Just wanted to pass on the info

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back