Edelbrock E-Force & Whipple Technical Specifications Comparison

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
Hello All…I should be picking up my 07 GT today with an E-Force installed with a 3.50 pulley (may go w/ 3.25)… but I wanted to let everyone “chew” on why I went with the Edelbrock over a Whipple… (Tillman’s #004 unit…good deal along with some history)

I went back and forth for months… agonizing over this decision…but in the end I went with the Edelbrock because:

1. Slightly better performance in the blower efficiency category
2. Eaton’s long standing reputation for quality/OEM experience
3. No internal compression during vacuum operation (zero hp to drive the unit while cruising)
4. LOOKS!!! (Just plain cool layout/design of the unit)
5. Engineer who designed it went to my Alma Mater

During the long process of trying to decide, I begged Whipple and Eaton for blower performance maps (which I did finally receive). I also came across a set of graphs apparently from Magnuson that seemed to comply with Eaton’s blower map too. The bottom line conclusion from the Maps is that the two blowers are very close in performance at least at the 10-12 psi level or 450 to 550 rwhp level. See attached .pdf for the graphs and the summary below (NOTE: Please do not shoot the messenger here, only taking a scientific look at the data I have… and yes it could all be B.S. if you want to make that point, but don’t)

Initial Conditions for both blowers: 12 psi, 12,000 blower rpms (~6000 engine rpms) - ~12 psi boost

Flow: TVS – 900 cfm Whipple – 900 cfm
Delta Temp: TVS – 140 deg F Whipple – 173 deg F (w/o aftercooler…)
Volumetric Eff: TVS – 95% Whipple – 92.5%
Isentropic Eff: TVS – 68% Whipple – 60%
(listed as Adiabatic for the whipple, there is a subtle difference, but don't know??…)
(Flow: The Magnuson chart shows 950 cfm for the TVS)

Conclusion: The TVS does not heat up the charge as much as the Whipple… but with good aftercooling… it really should not make any difference anyway….

Constructive Comments are welcome!!

Attachments

• Whipple - TVS Specifications Comparison.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
Nasty,

That's what the data shows here, very close in all aspects except the amount the TVS heats up the intake charge is less... in this case... 33 deg F less (without aftercooling)

The only other real data point that I had not been able to find was the hp consumption of the TVS. Know this, would add the last parameter as far as real power to the wheels.

Looking at the performance map (originally attached to first message) you can see the whipple is consuming 48 kW (about 64 hp) to pump the air at 900 cfm and 12 psi.

This seems high... that 64 hp not at the wheels. Turbos are much less.. but still need power to turn the compressor shaft...

I will look around for power consumption for the TVS...

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
Mister...

Good question...it may be the Gen 1... but I really don't know. For the 3.5 TVS pulley...I will know boost levels today (hopefully), but I have been told that a 3.5 pulley will produce 7 lbs at 3000 rpms... and 10 lbs at 6200 rpms from Edelbrock.

For the 3.25 pulley, 9 lbs at 3000 rpms... and 12 lbs at 6200 rpms...

stangzilla

forum member
Reaction score
this is why i went w/ whipple

1. great hp/tq gains per psi (depends where you get the info as the #'s are very similar)
2. whipple's golden reputation w/ the ford mustang and especially the s197's which is tried and true, other newer designs are not tested over time like the whipple.
3. dont really care about efficiency while not in boost
4. looks, other SC's take note, this is what a SC is supposed to look like
5. engineer did not go to my almamater

lobe50

Reaction score
subscribing..

Trying to make the E-Force vs Whipple decision now.....????

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
Stangzilla... thanks for the constuctive comments... much appreciated.

(P.S. Alma Mater is two words...)

mygt500

Stangpede Co-Captain Michigan Chapter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info......post up numbers and times after installed and just enjoy the new found power!

N

navbtcret

Mister...

Good question...it may be the Gen 1... but I really don't know. For the 3.5 TVS pulley...I will know boost levels today (hopefully), but I have been told that a 3.5 pulley will produce 7 lbs at 3000 rpms... and 10 lbs at 6200 rpms from Edelbrock.

For the 3.25 pulley, 9 lbs at 3000 rpms... and 12 lbs at 6200 rpms...

I am not sure where you are getting these boost number from. I am running the E-Force with the 2.75 pulley and am only seeing 13-13.5 psi boost. Mike @ Powerhouse tested all the pulley's on my car and should still have all the data from each one.

We are currently working on and 8 rib set up, 10% overdrive pulley to get the boost to around 16 or 17 psi. The car will be tuned for pump gas with this also. My current best et with the 2.75 pulley is 11.11 @ 126 mph witha 1.50 60' time. This was one MT 275 40r 17" DR's and 18" rims on the front. The new 8 rib set up will be done next month along with a cage.

I did swap from a Gen 1 Whipple to this same tuner and same set up and tires I manage an 11.8 with the Whipple at 10 psi but with only 3 more psi and the E-Force I went down to 11.1 and have run this et several times.

When it was 90* outside and humid my IAT's were 170* at the end of the run, about the last 320 feet, but for the most part they run around 150* max with lower outside temps.

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
All... Chris Rose at Tillman just finished up on my car's tune today WOW!!!! it blew me away... those guys really impressed me with their customer service and technical ability. I am ecstatic with the results... I don't want to spoil it for Chris. He took alot of heat back a few months ago not being able to get the #004 unit to make power...but as we all know the plugs were cracked causing a power loss. Anyway... my car w/ #004 installed had a good set of plugs and it made very good power with the 3.50 and 3.25 pulley

We saw for the 3.50 pulley (factory headers, cats w/ SSS mufflers) boost levels after the aftercooler around 7 at 3000 to 9 at 6000... almost 10 lbs at 6400 rpms... and for the 3.25 we saw the boost go 9 to about 12 at 6300 rpms...

Chris will be uploading all the results on the MustangSource.com tonight... stay tuned...

(Nav... what exhaust are you running...from what I understand this really affect the boost... mine is basically stock except for the SSS mufflers... which are for the most part quiet until you stomp on it...)

Last edited:
N

navbtcret

All... Chris Rose at Tillman just finished up on my car's tune today WOW!!!! it blew me away... those guys really impressed me with their customer service and technical ability. I am ecstatic with the results... I don't want to spoil it for Chris. He took alot of heat back a few months ago not being able to get the #004 unit to make power...but as we all know the plugs were cracked causing a power loss. Anyway... my car w/ #004 installed had a good set of plugs and it made very good power with the 3.50 and 3.25 pulley

We saw for the 3.50 pulley (factory headers, cats w/ SSS mufflers) boost levels after the aftercooler around 7 at 3000 to 9 at 6000... almost 10 lbs at 6400 rpms... and for the 3.25 we saw the boost go 9 to about 12 at 6300 rpms...

Chris will be uploading all the results on the MustangSource.com tonight... stay tuned...

(Nav... what exhaust are you running...from what I understand this really affect the boost... mine is basically stock except for the SSS mufflers... which are for the most part quiet until you stomp on it...)

Frpp shorties, stock h pipe and SLP loudmouths.

SloSVO

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Go check out my E-force numbers... Chris Rose at Tillman Speed has posted them...

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=482143

thanks,

First, for more information about the Tillman Speed Inc. Stage 1 and Stage 2 Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Systems, please go to http://shoptillman.com/products/Till...T-159-159.html

We've all been waiting for quite some time to finally be able to announce the following. We finally had a second test car in for the Edelbrock E-Force supercharger system and the numbers were again quite surprising....

We've seen some mail order results from various locations accross the US including Florida, Colorado, Arizona, etc. We found that our mail order tunes were producing in the area of 450-460RWHP on a manual vehicle on a Dynojets, 430-450RWHP on Mustang Dynos, with our Stage 1 edelbrock system using the 7-9.5PSI rated 3.5" pulley and our SCT custom tune. We got tired of not having any in-house results and so luckily our friend Tim came to us with his bone stock and EXTREMELY clean 2007 Mustang GT Automatic ready for an increase in power!

We all know the situation with #004 where we had 2 sets of plugs with broken porcelain internals which caused lower than expected horsepower figures. We were all quite frustrated at the time trying to figure out why the results were less than favorable, and were in the midst of other confusing dyno results from outside sources. In the end, all was well and these things are to be expected with new products, and of course we found the problem to be something so embarassing and small such as spark plugs!! Well this time.... you know what.. let's just see the results!!!

After we fired her up, popped in our mail order tune and ran her, the first pass made over 435RWHP, but the belt was slipping over 5500RPM. With a belt change, still using the 3.5" pulley, we were able to rocket this Automatic GT from a stock output of approximately 250-260RWHP to an amazing:

449 RWHP and 425 RWTQ SAE Corrected and 459 RWHP and 435 RWTQ STD Corrected
THIS SYSTEM CREATES BETWEEN 7-9.5 PSI WHEN READING AFTER THE INTERCOOLER

Tim was thrilled with the results, but wanted more!!! With the addition of the 3.25" pulley, we were able to load our tune in (with some changes to ensure safety on both the bottom end of the motor and to extend transmission life as much as possible).

475 RWHP and 440 RWTQ SAE Corrected and 486 RWHP and 450 RWTQ STD Corrected
THIS SYSTEM CREATES BETWEEN 9-11.5 PSI WHEN READING AFTER THE INTERCOOLER

This system is absolutely amazing, makes big power, runs cool, efficiently, and there's absolutely no reason why I don't consider this one of the big "top 5" supercharger systems for the 2005-2009 Mustang GT platform. I would actually rate it among the top 3. We are happy to have this Edelbrock supercharger and the Edelbrock brand as a whole on board! Thanks again to Rob Simons, Steve Whipple, Matt Allison and the rest of the Edelbrock crew as well as the patience of Tim Foster, and Helmut (sorry we couldn't get this on your car!!).

Here are the results in both SAE Corrected and Standard Corrected form.

SAE Results
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 825x634.
Tim_07_Edelbrock_Auto_Small.jpg

Large Format: http://www.tillmanspeed.com/Edelbroc...brock_Auto.jpg

Standard Correction
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 825x634.
Tim_07_Edelbrock_Auto_STD_Small.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back