EGR Valve Code P0403 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
I recently unscrewed the top of the EGR pipe to put on a new high heat sleeve. Process was easy and right after I drove for over 3 hours no problems. Now I am having issues and this code popped up.

Basic Symptoms so far through tests...

I start car and it idles smooth, I turn the blinker, AC, Headlights or cautions on and the car dies. I can roll up and down the windows, turn on the map lights and mess with the radio and nothing happens.

I played with the blinker and revving to test more and upon revving the car over and over and then turning the blinker on and it bogs down so I rev off and on harder to keep it running but it will soon die again when I stop revving.

I can also start the car and let it idle and it will die on its own without touching anything periodically.

I took it for a drive without touching anything and I felt like it was running fine...

I went to Autozone and put a brand new battery in just to see and it did not help. I have checked all the plugs etc and nothing is lose or cut. :damnit:

Any ideas on what to do? The next step is to replace the whole EGR Valve but I would hate to spend another $100 and that not be it.

Anyone else experience this issue and know how to fix it?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Did you screw in the pipe properly? Was that the only thing you removed? What about any of the air intake parts, were they in the way?
Closely inspect the egr (post up some pics if you can). Sometimes one of the vacuum ports will break, or the egr will crack on top.
You may have a major vacuum leak from something now not working right or left disconnected, or partially so. Hence the question about the air intake piping/tubes: make sure all that is back like it was. And the pipe, make sure it was properly screwed into the egr straight (not cross-threaded), and is snug.

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
The only thing I did was unscrew the top of the EGR pipe and when screwing back on I used my fingers to get it started and it was smooth all the way through and then tightened it snug with the wrench so I couldn't imagine it getting cross threaded but you never know. I double checked everything I could think of and made sure all the hoses and clips were connected but I may need to test for a vacuum leak next. A

I will post up pics this weekend since the car is an hour away stored at the family house.

Thanks for the info!

Did you screw in the pipe properly? Was that the only thing you removed? What about any of the air intake parts, were they in the way?
Closely inspect the egr (post up some pics if you can). Sometimes one of the vacuum ports will break, or the egr will crack on top.
You may have a major vacuum leak from something now not working right or left disconnected, or partially so. Hence the question about the air intake piping/tubes: make sure all that is back like it was. And the pipe, make sure it was properly screwed into the egr straight (not cross-threaded), and is snug.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back