EmblemPro's 5.0 Emblem install

Jivefive0

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
didn't see a install on here so wanted to share what I ended up doing.
As you all know the back of current 2011+ have the GT emblem.
A awesome website called EmblemPros.com has remedied that by making available a replacement.
the following are the steps i used to take off the current GT one and replace it with this pretty nice 5.0 one.

tn_IMG_0924_zps5248f272.jpg

the first step is to lay down some masking tape to protect your finish.

tn_IMG_0927_zpsbd99864d.jpg

Should look like this when your finished.

tn_IMG_0928_zps1ca607e2.jpg

the instructions state you can either wrap a flat head screwdriver in a towel and edge around the emblem,
or use fishing wire to saw thru the 3m tape. I have scratch resistant plastic tools and used these instead.
worked around the entire emblem until it was free. becareful not to pry too hard, you can still dent your finish thru the tape if
you push hard enough.

tn_IMG_0929_zps8e45fe80.jpg

once it comes off, should look like this

tn_IMG_0930_zps066e5c58.jpg

Since the back of the emblem wouldnt be seen, you can use a razor blade to take off the access 3m tape.

tn_IMG_0934_zps1cf54b41.jpg

Best stuff in the world. it weaken the 3m tape and made clean up much easier.

tn_IMG_0933_zps2c8ee1af.jpg

for the truck mounting plate, I used goo gone and the plastic tool to gently scrape it off. worked great and didnt hurt the finish.

tn_IMG_0935_zpsb124625b.jpg

the back of the faux gas cap was easier since the razor did most of the work. used goo gone to clean it up. once finished you should see this.

tn_IMG_0936_zps23c75a97.jpg

Now you need to get a drill and drill out the plastic retaining posts holding unto the GT emblem. you dont need to drill too far, just enough to break its hold. there are 5 spots where you need to do this.

tn_IMG_0937_zpsbe714327.jpg

Once finished it will look like this.

tn_IMG_0939_zpsa593a5dc.jpg

The instructions state to use a flat screw driver in the only 2 square holes on the back.
Do not try and pry it from the front of the emblem as you risk messing up or marring the base of the gas cap.

tn_IMG_0940_zps83f0ad60.jpg

After some light prying it comes right off and looks like this.

tn_IMG_0942_zpsb4e844fc.jpg

Now there are two sets of raised bars on the FRONT of the gas cap. You will need to dremel or sand these down flat so the new one can fit flush. Me being OCD made sure I taped off any area that I wasn’t working on. So just the 2 spots were exposed.

tn_IMG_0943_zps8ed458fa.jpg

First one grounded down.

Last edited:

Jivefive0

forum member
Reaction score
tn_IMG_0945_zpsc2b70ce2.jpg

Second one.

tn_IMG_0946_zpsa2fe3c6a.jpg

tn_IMG_0948_zps46ce1f09.jpg

Clean it up and take off the tape. The kit comes with 2 alcohol wipes, 1 adhesion promoter wipe and a roll of 3m tape. Use the adhesion promoter on the FRONT of the gas cap where the new emblem will sit. Also apply it to the trunk mount as well.
Let dry for 5 mins.

tn_IMG_0949_zps8126e4a9.jpg

Now without taking off the red tape on the emblem, I put back the Gas cap and laid the new emblem on to mock it up and make sure I centered it right. I used tape to make sure it was straight when I did put it on.

tn_IMG_0950_zps33d35fe7.jpg

Make sure you measure twice because once that red tape comes off and you lay it down,
There is no way to pick it back up and recenter without messing up the tape. So if you feel you did all the measurements right, peel off the red tape and slowing put the emblem on the FRONT of the gas cap. Once done, press down hard and hold for a bit.

tn_IMG_0951_zps50b58eb9.jpg

Once that is complete, now time to stick the cap back onto the car. I know this looks like a mess, but the tape comes in a large roll. So to correctly stick it on, you want to cut it into pieces. Up to you, but any which way you do it, you need to have enough on there so it doesn’t go anywhere.
Since the pins on the back help, you can just line everything up and pull off the red tape and just like the other one, press hard and firm and hold for a bit.

tn_IMG_0952_zps3c6cfe71.jpg

tn_IMG_0954_zpsbe2b9fe6.jpg

tn_IMG_0955_zpsf5fa1f64.jpg

The Finished product. The instructions advise not to wash the car for a couple of days to allow proper curing.
I think its looks excellent and really glad I got it.
Let me know if you have any questions and thanks!

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Wow, I just caught this thread. Looks great man. I may to hit up Emblempros for one of these badges!

dineau

Reaction score
I was reading an article about the Holman Moody mustang and was wondering was this guy was doing with his drill on the emblem. Now I understand that he was drilling out those posts without completely removing the cap.

Notice the template he has that shows him where to drill.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 72

Jivefive0

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, I just caught this thread. Looks great man. I may to hit up Emblempros for one of these badges!

thanks man! yeah it helps set your stang apart at shows too :D

That's a lot of work for an emblem, but looks good!

LOL i know man, but as long as the results came out as they did i was good with it
Very nice write up, thanks for going thru the process.
Looks great!

thanks and glad it can help fellow stangers out

I was reading an article about the Holman Moody mustang and was wondering was this guy was doing with his drill on the emblem. Now I understand that he was drilling out those posts without completely removing the cap.

Notice the template he has that shows him where to drill.

wow yeah that template would have helped lol
but i think the only good thing is prying from the back wouldnt mess up the edge but i guess if your careful enuff you could be fine as well.

Nice write up. The new emblem looks good.

thanks man!

Jivefive0

forum member
Reaction score

Jivefive0

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good! How did you tint you're headlights?

Actually traded these from another member who had them done at a shop.
they did the whole shabang, clear with a little black in it, then wet sand, then buff to a shine.
i got brighter reverse lights since they tinted everything.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back