end MT-82 miss shifts

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure what could be causing the "NV"H from some the members here. I have the "401A" ball style shift knob on mine and its pretty much dead silent. I honestly think the vibration that I originally felt in the upper RPM's isn't even present anymore. Almost like it worked itself away over the past few days.

There's a part of me that is wanting to throw a MGW in it to shorten the throws but I'm afraid to change anything because it's been shifting so perfect since the install.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
This morning I got back under the car to address the vibration issue. What I found was that the MGW rear bracket was contacting the factory studs sticking down from the body. The right stud was bent out slightly from the contact and this is why I only felt it on hard left turns under power. I prefer not removing the stud since I may return the car to stock one day and trade it in, so I loosened the 8 bolts on the Blowfish bracket and angled it back as far as I could. This moved the MGW rear bracket further out on the shifter and away from the body studs. I only have about 1/4" clearance now but hopefully it is enough.

IMG_2864.jpg

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
Good job. I really want to be a cool kid. I need to pick this up. Of course living in Ohio the car will be sitting in the garage from Nov to march/April so I hope to have a laundry list of other things to install come spring. This will definitely be in the list.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
This morning I got back under the car to address the vibration issue. What I found was that the MGW rear bracket was contacting the factory studs sticking down from the body. The right stud was bent out slightly from the contact and this is why I only felt it on hard left turns under power. I prefer not removing the stud since I may return the car to stock one day and trade it in, so I loosened the 8 bolts on the Blowfish bracket and angled it back as far as I could. This moved the MGW rear bracket further out on the shifter and away from the body studs. I only have about 1/4" clearance now but hopefully it is enough.

IMG_2864.jpg

Test drive confirmed this was the problem and it is now quiet and vibration free. Perfect!

I'll be looking out for this with my MGW/BF Bracket combo install!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice find Brian!:highfive:

Strengthrehab said:
Good job. I really want to be a cool kid. I need to pick this up. Of course living in Ohio the car will be sitting in the garage from Nov to march/April so I hope to have a laundry list of other things to install come spring. This will definitely be in the list.

Order now so MAYBE you'll get it by Christmas 2015....piece by piece.........:omfg:

Last edited:

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
that's the thing, you're not going to get a knob that will hide noise as much as the stock "big toe" knob, maybe a weighted knob.......

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk

My hope is that since the factory piece is plastic, on top of plastic the vibrations are making the clear plastic cover over the shift pattern rattle. When the maraca kicks in you can see the shifter shaking so I know it is coming straight thorough the shifter. My hope is that by going with a solid knob that there won't be anything to rattle. I assume there will still be vibration and some noise but not that annoying plastic rattle. :idea:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Have you looked under the car to see if the rattle/vibration isn't the factory rear mounting studs hitting the bracket? See my image above.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Yeah, first thing I checked... Not even close with the factory style shifter mount. Wish that was it!

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I bet everybody's NVH are related to the lack of space in this area outlined here.

Somebody remove the BF Bracket and shifter base and put something in this area to suppress the noise made by contact then report back.

To alleviate the touching of this area in the BF bracket design would weaken the strength when the trans torques so putting something sound deadening may fix the "buzz".

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
As much time as I have spent under the car wrenching on this bracket you would think I could give you an answer on that Darren... laying underneath it I didn't notice any thing touching but can't say with certainty that it is not resting on that brace. I don't feel like jacking the car up again and climbing under it so will set someone else research this one. I'm just going to drive mine.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I bet everybody's NVH are related to the lack of space in this area outlined here.

Somebody remove the BF Bracket and shifter base and put something in this area to suppress the noise made by contact then report back.

To alleviate the touching of this area in the BF bracket design would weaken the strength when the trans torques so putting something sound deadening may fix the "buzz".
Explain what you mean by "weaken the strength"? Look at the original factory mount (those two tiny little studs tack welded to the underside of the trans tunnel) and then look at the 3/16" steel plate used to make the BF brace. How in the hell will transmission torque affect the BF bracket? It could be made out of plastic and still work just as well. The ONLY reason it is made so heavy is so that it can also do double duty as an approved driveshaft loop.

T-Neck

Here for the Gangbang
Reaction score
I'll be installing mine while doing a clutch, so the trans will be out..would you like me to mock everything up and take some pics?

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
That would be great if you could! I would like to see how it all fits together without me laying on my back with a flashlight!!!:thud:

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
I installed mine today and noticed the same. I just put the bracket all the way down for now. I don't want to bend or mangle the studs either, so hope this is good enough...

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Explain what you mean by "weaken the strength"? Look at the original factory mount (those two tiny little studs tack welded to the underside of the trans tunnel) and then look at the 3/16" steel plate used to make the BF brace. How in the hell will transmission torque affect the BF bracket? It could be made out of plastic and still work just as well. The ONLY reason it is made so heavy is so that it can also do double duty as an approved driveshaft loop.

The BF Bracket in that area could be "footing" since it is right up against the bottom of the shifter allowing more surface area of "support". Didn't think it was that hard to see...........but I could be wrong. If that was not the intention of that area of the bracket, I'm sure the inventor coulda/woulda left it off and saved some weight/money on the materials. This, to me, seems like a rational explanation for the design as is, ONLY if that part of the bracket indeed "rests" against the bottom of the shifter box. If not, mute point.

I plan to take my MGW shifter all the way out of my car and mock it all up anyways to see what it would take to retain the heat shield. If this area indeed makes contact, I'll be adding some noise suppresant material between these two areas. I'll let yall know how it goes.:beerdrink:

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
There is no contact although it is very close. If you install the heat shield then there will be contact and it will transmit noise/vibration. If you raise the shifter up off the bracket so it doesn't rub the heat shield then you will hit the studs sticking down from the body. You can cut off the studs but then you will not be able to return it to stock later.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
There is no contact although it is very close. If you install the heat shield then there will be contact and it will transmit noise/vibration. If you raise the shifter up off the bracket so it doesn't rub the heat shield then you will hit the studs sticking down from the body. You can cut off the studs but then you will not be able to return it to stock later.

Welp! You just saved me a ton of work then!! Ima just toss it on, check the clearance against the studs protruding in the trans tunnel and roll with it!!! Thanks!!

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
The ONLY reason it is made so heavy is so that it can also do double duty as an approved driveshaft loop.

I hate to shep ya but...the force going through that rear mount has to go a long way through an indeterminate member. That tunnel is strong and stiff, and you want the same thing or better out of this brace.

As I may have said before I'm happy this brace works, I wasn't sure it was possible looking under my car years ago. No room/insufficient stiffness.

black2008gt

GT500 NOOB
Reaction score
Just installed it and took it for test drive. Its Amazing and does everything that it advertises. No real NVH added just some vibration through the shift knob. Put it as far down as i could to keep it from the trans tunnel.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Since I plan to install both the MGW and BF bracket at the same time, I'll have both pieces on the bench. I'll try to at least mock up to see what needs to be cut off the heat shield and to see how the bottom of the shift box hits the bracket. If this is a potential source of the noise people have been getting, I'm thinking perhaps a small piece of the Dynamat in there would buffer enough to stop it; or perhaps some of the silicone MGW supplies--I'm thinking that won't be used in this application.

Oh, and I lucked out on timing, the MGW should arrive this Wednesday. I got a call from CJPP Saturday (!) informing me they are on backorder. Darn, missed the first 80. However, they expect to ship in a week to a week-and-a-half for the second run. Not too bad.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back