Engine Buid Time...

cobra4548

forum member
Reaction score
ok guys, what is the average amount of time it take to build an engine? When I ask this I realize it depends on who you take it to, how busy they are, if you do it yourself, etc. All things being equal and in a perfect world if you have all the parts and you can get the machine work done in 3-5 days, how long? A month? 2 months? Am I being unreasonable when I expect it to be done in a month?

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think that if you have everything you need and the know how, an engine could be built in as little as a couple of days. That being said, it will probably take longer as you have to order parts and will have other delays. If your taking it to someone to be built, they will have other irons in the fire and priorities that they have to do. A good source of information would be Larry H. as he builds engines and is a fountain of information on the subject.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ok guys, what is the average amount of time it take to build an engine? When I ask this I realize it depends on who you take it to, how busy they are, if you do it yourself, etc. All things being equal and in a perfect world if you have all the parts and you can get the machine work done in 3-5 days, how long? A month? 2 months? Am I being unreasonable when I expect it to be done in a month?
Depends on who is doing it, parts and what you are starting with. In the past I have dropped off blocks for 2 or 3 days of cleaning, machine work, magnaflux, etc... Balancing internal parts was 2 or 3 days as well but that required that the block was already prep'd and the pistons matched to their cylinder (so that the balance could be done with all the right parts in the right place).

Then a day of assembly. So, I have comfortably pulled, rebuilt and reinstalled an engine inside 2-3 weeks of weeknight/end time when I had all the parts with good access to a fast machine shop I trusted (which I no longer have up here).

The "busy machinist" and "parts" thing cannot be underestimated though - that can easily stretch into months...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back