Engine Cooling Fan Not Receiving Power

PaRaDoX

forum member
Reaction score
I have another thread going on an issue regarding the car falling on it's face while trying to build boost however at the same time this happened my Cooling fan completely stopped working.

Testing I've done so far:
Checked fuse box. Found that the 40 AMP 32v Green Fused appeared to be blown. Went to Ford parts, replaced fuse.

Got the car up to operating temps (190/192 is when the fan normally kicks on)
Used Multimeter to check for power at the fan wiring harness and found no power was making it to the fan.

Used multimeter and verified there was power at the fuse.
Used multimeter and did not find power going to the High Speed Fan Relay
The car was not running during these tests but was in the On position, not sure if the car needed to be running in order to test the relay.

I'm hoping not to have to replace the fuse box but that may be the fix. Any ideas?

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you probed the fuse box contacts (where you insert the fuse) with a multi-meter you probably screwed it up. Ask me how I know that:-(
If you are using a tuner such as an SCT X-Cal you can datalog to see if the fan is being called to start. Then you can test the plug near the fan for actual voltage.

Last edited:

MustASH

forum member
Reaction score
Do both fan speeds aren't working ?

If you want to test the hi-speed fan you can turn the a/c on, it should automatically go high speed.

PaRaDoX

forum member
Reaction score
Found out the cooling fan fuse was blown ( Fuse #3) and Fuse #40 for cooling fan relay was blown. Replaced both. Still no power to fan. Fan is new as of November...

When I replaced fuse #40 there was a yellow wire that was connected to it, i followed it and it led to a yellow and a red wire that were both not connected to anything.

Not sure where those two are supposed to be plugged in at if at all?

I tried the a/c test mustash and got nothing :-/

MustASH

forum member
Reaction score
Fuses blow when circuit it protects are shorted or drain too much current. Did your new fan already worked ?

PaRaDoX

forum member
Reaction score
Yes the new fan worked from November until now. I noticed some dampness within the fusebox on the backside where fuse #3 was. I did have the engine bay cleaned by a detail shop about a month ago but you would think that any water from a month ago would have evaporated.

PaRaDoX

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure the root cause. Needed to fix the car before tx2k tomorrow. Ran the fan to a switch/inline fuse and to the battery. I just switch the fan on at 190 now. Temporary fix for now.

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
Sound like your Fans speed resistor is blown.

Its inside the shroud it goes from your motor to the resistor to your cars harness
looks like a giant green coil.

Hope that helps!

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
e9uonm.jpg

PaRaDoX

forum member
Reaction score
I just replaced that piece back in November but I will inspect it again. I don't remember it costing that much, may just buy another and test it out.

PaRaDoX

forum member
Reaction score
Well i only have the high speed hooked up so.... guess that rules that out :)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back