Exhaust Leak Help

Ray721

Black 06 GT
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to a friends house tomorrow to use his hoist to fix a leak. I'd like to know if there's any trade secrets out there that could help me out.

I recently installed Kooks LT's and Catted X. They keep loosening at the joint where the header and x pipe meet. I tried some locktight the first time but I guess the extreme weather was too much for it. It was minus stupid when I installed them so they loosened off.

This time around I'm gonna cover it in locktight again and gun it up with an impact. I'm also gonna double nut it using locktight as well. Think that will work? I'm open to any suggestions.

Ray

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
I'd be careful with the impact. I've broken my fair share of clamp bolts tightening by hand.

Ray721

Black 06 GT
Reaction score
I have a couple as backup just in case that happens. I just don't want to have to keep going under the car if I don't have to. I don't have a hoist or a low pro floor jack so I rely on two friends whenever they have free time lol. Looking like I'll be getting a hoist next spring if all goes well but that's a different topic. I was just hoping to get some info before tomorrow morning. But I'm not overly worried, I think my method should work.

OneQwkStang

Improving the Breed
Reaction score
I zipped my Kooks xpipe to headers flanges up with the impact gun and never had an issue.
Reused the stock gaskets at the head and never had to retighten the bolts.....

Ray721

Black 06 GT
Reaction score
I zipped my Kooks xpipe to headers flanges up with the impact gun and never had an issue.
Reused the stock gaskets at the head and never had to retighten the bolts.....

I bought new OEM ones. Mine were pretty well pooched. 100,000 Kms. I "almost" used a metal/felt gasket but at the extreme cautionary advice from Matt D, I decided I'd listen to the pro and went OEM.

I have some gasket maker I could use. I guess I'll add that to the list of things to hopefully stop it from leaking again.

Thanks guys.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with using my impact and tightning down my kooks, or other exhaust stuff. Just zap it quickly. I would too get new clamps, as it would be better to try it all at once.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to a friends house tomorrow to use his hoist to fix a leak. I'd like to know if there's any trade secrets out there that could help me out.

I recently installed Kooks LT's and Catted X. They keep loosening at the joint where the header and x pipe meet. I tried some locktight the first time but I guess the extreme weather was too much for it. It was minus stupid when I installed them so they loosened off.

This time around I'm gonna cover it in locktight again and gun it up with an impact. I'm also gonna double nut it using locktight as well. Think that will work? I'm open to any suggestions.

Ray
I'm wondering if the collectors and the X-pipe tubes are not lining up closely enough. If that's the case and you tighten one clamp up all the way first, all of the misalignment gets shoved over to the second connection. That may be making the second clamp try to close up a little "kink" or other offset.

At least try tightening the clamps more evenly. Possibly loosen the other downstream clamps first and retighten them after tightening the joint(s) that have been leaking.

Me? I'd just fire up the MIG welder and be done with it.

Norm

Ray721

Black 06 GT
Reaction score
All done guys, Here's hoping it holds together. Even tightening, locktight and double nut. It should be all good. I also loosened up the midpipe and pushed everything forward a bit fixing the rattle.

I also cleaned my O2 sensors. Was getting bank 2 sensor 2 error code. Running rich. Only time will tell on that one.

Thanks again guys.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back