Exhaust setup questions

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
What's up everyone. Okay, I've had the same exhaust setup on my 06 GT for the last few years. Shorty headers, o/r h- pipe and Mac axle backs. I also have hot rod cams and other bolt ons. I loved the sound, super deep and aggressive. Sounded very much like an old big block mustang. I got tons of compliments on the great sound. A couple months ago I finally put my pypes long tubes on. Now the sound is very trumpety, if that's a word. It just doesn't have the same deep smooth sound it used too. I looked into doing a mid muffler setup like m80's. I wasn't sure if that would help solve that trumpeting sound or if I need to switch out my axle backs with something else. I've watched a ton of YouTube videos and I just can't make my mind up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Is it a catted or uncatted H...or X ? M80's, just b4 the rear axle will do the trick. But there may well be another axle back that will also do the job.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Its an off road h pipe. So uncatted

Are the pypes lt headers similar to mac lt headers? I ran a set of mac mid length (lt) with cats and GTA mufflers but had to go to GT500 mufflers (same as auto GT) because of how loud it was. Once the GT500 mufflers were on it was closer to the GTA with shorties and stock cats sound wise.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I had some obnoxious trumpeting going on and I just recently welded in a couple of old school Cherry Bombs and it helped quite a bit. Still trumpets at WOT and when you get up into the RPM's but that is just the way it is.

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
I don't really care about it being loud just the trumpeting. Yes the pypes and mac headers are very similar.

oooo2stang

Reaction score
Which Mac axle backs? The Mac boomtubes or chambered mufflers?

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Cut in some resonators problem solved. I have a similar setup as you. Car will be nice and deep, no trumpeting.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back