Exhaust Wrap on LT Headers

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
So, Im about to install my long tube headers on my coyote.

Just curious, heat tape to keep engine temps down? Yay or nay?

It is a semi daily driver, and does see rain on occasion, not sure if that will affect the tape or not.

This is what I was thinking about using...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/lava-exhaust-wrap-2in-50ft.html

Comments? Is it worth doing? Waste of money and time?

Towelie

forum member
Reaction score
I wrapped my exhaust and I can put my hands on the pipes after driving no problem. However I wouldn't recommend using tape to secure the wrap, I used a few worm gear clamps and they're holding up just fine.

Also this is on a turbo car so I'd imagine the temps get much higher

mike4.0

Reaction score
I've heard mixed things about the exhaust wrap causing your exhaust to deteriorate faster but haven't found too much on it. Maybe something to look into or if anyone knows this as a myth?

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
They are a pain in the ass to wrap on the Kooks coyote headers. I ended up taking it off and sent them out for powder coating.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've heard mixed things about the exhaust wrap causing your exhaust to deteriorate faster but haven't found too much on it. Maybe something to look into or if anyone knows this as a myth?

If they weren't stainless and you parked the car for an extended period, like a deployment, in high humidity, you could have corrosion issues.

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
The Long Tube Headers are...

JBA NATURAL LONG TUBE HEADERS

Which are made of 409 Stainless Steel Construction

I can't see any reason they would rust easier with tape. But, I am just checking.

Also, they aren't on the car. I am reading that they are a pita to install. Is this when trying to do on the car? Or are they just a pain in general?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The Long Tube Headers are...

JBA NATURAL LONG TUBE HEADERS

Which are made of 409 Stainless Steel Construction

I can't see any reason they would rust easier with tape. But, I am just checking.

Also, they aren't on the car. I am reading that they are a pita to install. Is this when trying to do on the car? Or are they just a pain in general?

The tape holds moisture in. Have you thought about ceramic coating? It works, looks good, and adds to the corrosion protection.

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
The tape holds moisture in. Have you thought about ceramic coating? It works, looks good, and adds to the corrosion protection.

Well, Im working in a budget here. Is ceramic coating expensive? And Im to understand that these headers are a pretty tight fit. That doesn't cause any fitment issues?

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I've used it on several vehicles of mine with headers, but just on portions of tubes that come near heat sensitive stuff like steering joints, starters, the starter itself, wires, and on the motor mounts on our C63 that had to remove the heat shields when installing the headers. I like it for protective purposes, not performance, but I could be wrong on that.

Also, that fiberglass wrap is readily available at most auto parts stores. I've been pretty luck using stainless steel wire to keep it tight on the tubes, and a decent worm gear clamp could work great as well.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
My JBA Lt's are also 409-SS. But I ordered the titanium ceramic coated version. They come out looking battleship grey. Coated inside and out. I can put my fingers pushed down hard on any of the 8 primary's after 2-3 mins of shutting the eng off. It was more cost effective to just buy ceramic headers... vs having them coated ...after the fact. You won't have a problem with moisture on the wrap..since the LT's are 409-SS.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back