experience with child car seats in a mustang?

claudermilk

Reaction score
Hell, we take family trips in mine. Luckily my wife is 5'1". Back when my youngest was rear-facing, yes, that was pretty cramped. Now with a forward-facing seat and my 7-year-old in a booster there's plenty of room for us.
Edit: Getting my four-year-old in (2010 coupe) involves a no-look granny shot of sorts. Actually he's at the point now where he climbs in himself. Also, if you're unfortunate enough to have to undo the LATCH system, you're gonna sweat all over your work clothes.

Both of mine climb in by themselves. We have ingress & egress down to a science now. I also have installing & removing the seats down pretty well. The only hassle part is one seat has the upper latch strap that is best to go under the headrest--that's kind of a PITA; otherwise it's about 5 min in or out for both.

I'm bookmarking this thread. Because I've always said when we have kids, I'm bringing them home from the hospital in the Mustang. :thumb:
:bravo:

Both of mine came home in Mustangs. There was a time when the only sure-fire way to get my oldest to sleep was a ride in my '02GT.
My parents had three kids and a Karmann Ghia so I guess I've never subscribed to the 'you need a big car once you have kids' theory.

Neither do I. We actually had the Mustang and a '10 Focus coupe when we got the kids. It worked, but was a clown car & the kids were only going to get bigger. So we traded it on a '13 Fusion. Plenty of room for everyone, the trunk has always been big enough for all of us, even for a week vacation (I can use every nook & cranny in there & get us all to pack fairly light). No need for a ginormous 4-ton SUV to transport a 20# kid or three. We actually looked at the Escape, Edge, & Flex--the Fusion had a better setup than any of those for us.

If I ever tried to sell the Mustang now, I'd have a mutiny on my hands--the kids all love the car at least as much as I do. There is going to be a fight years down the road over who gets to inherit the thing.

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
We had 7 kids and my parents in a station wagon growing up. You don't know the meaning of crammed until you drive halfway across the country with 9 people and luggage in and on top of a station wagon. Just because you can cram that many people in a vehicle doesn't mean I want to. Most go with the smallest vehicle they can due to cost not comfort. I will take a roomy vehicle over a tiny one any day.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
My fiance' and I have a carseat that goes back and forth between my Mustang and her Focus. I've never had any issues. Thank god for leather, as I can just wipe off any dirt that gets tracked in.

My three year-old already knows that no food and only water are allowed in the car. :gr_grin:

I've considered getting one of these:
Recaro_car_seat_zpscaacv6p8.jpg

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
We have a Graco Nautilus in the mustang. Fits fine. My wife is 5'3 and I am 6'1. Now that he is almost 3 the booster option really came in handy.

1QIKPNY

Thats what she said!!!
Reaction score
We had a britax and now have a Graco size4me 65 and they both fit fine in my car. The rear facing one my wife had to sit behind me but with the graco one she has room to sit up front. Granted she's 5'3".

04DarkShadowGT

forum member
Reaction score
My fiance' and I have a carseat that goes back and forth between my Mustang and her Focus. I've never had any issues. Thank god for leather, as I can just wipe off any dirt that gets tracked in.

My three year-old already knows that no food and only water are allowed in the car. :gr_grin:

I've considered getting one of these:
Recaro_car_seat_zpscaacv6p8.jpg

That is what we have. It is nice because it has a quick release deal with the latch. It looks faster than the video posted several posts ago.

They clip onto the latch and then push of a button to release, one hand operation. Very easy.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have had zero issue with car seats in my mustang. That being said, my wife hates my car and won't let me put our kids in it. But young cousins have rode in car seats in the mustang and no issues.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I have had zero issue with car seats in my mustang. That being said, my wife hates my car and won't let me put our kids in it. But young cousins have rode in car seats in the mustang and no issues.

Haha I had the opposite experience. My old ex hated the mustang and I hated my old ex and so I decided I wouldn't put my kids in her. LOL Either way it isn't a big problem unless you have enormous children.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With the base right now it is just easier to use my truck to transport the kids. They will be riding in the mustang when they are older though.

Brn N Rubr

forum member
Reaction score
My girls absolutely love riding around in our Mustang. They actually request it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 13

claudermilk

Reaction score
^^^ This. When the wife and I have to split the kids between the cars so we can both use the HOV lane, there is often a fight over who gets to ride in the Mustang.

I think the question "Can a Mustang baby?" has been pretty comprehensively answered in the affirmative by now.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Its easy, just make the wife ride in the rear......

14390628806_1a221908f1_z.jpg

Or you when she takes you home....

Isn't that illegal, or at least unsafe? I was told never to put a rear facing seat in the front.

Anyways, the guys at the track always get a kick out of my car with the Recarro baby seat and the helmet together in the car.

Thinkkker

Reaction score
Ive heard that many times.

Its not illegal, I did my due diligence with it. I could have missed something, but I found nothing against it.

Safety wise, the airbag was disabled and not on. The child seat was retained by safety belt in the stock seat mount bolts through the child seat base mounting points.

04DarkShadowGT

forum member
Reaction score
Ive heard that many times.

Its not illegal, I did my due diligence with it. I could have missed something, but I found nothing against it.

Safety wise, the airbag was disabled and not on. The child seat was retained by safety belt in the stock seat mount bolts through the child seat base mounting points.

Gotta do what you have to do. Plenty of people with regular cab trucks who don't have any options.

With that being said, the child is safest in the back seat. I always put my kid in the back, but he is front facing seat so that makes a difference in room. Rear facing may be impossible to fit with someone in front seat.

Thinkkker

Reaction score
He is now in the back seat and front facing. Always get comments at the track about the kids seat in the rear.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back