F&$@*! Autometer Fuel Pressure Gauge

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
About 30 seconds after the warranty expired on my Autometer fuel pressure gauge my fuel pressure started reading low. Turn the key on and it would only show around 30psi, at idle around 18psi, and at WOT it might to up to 30 again. But my a/f was good so I didn't really pay much attention to it (other than it annoying the hell out of me). Pulled the sending unit out, cleaned it with some carb cleaner, put it back in, seemed to have fixed the issue.

Few months pass and it does it again. Tried the same cleaning idea, no difference. So I pulled the Zex adaptor off and got an adaptor with two fitting holes. Put the fuel pressure sending unit in one, and a mechanical gauge in the other. There is a good 10psi at idle and nearly 20psi at WOT difference between the two gauges. And no, I didn't run beside the car with the hood up and someone driving to look at it. I saw it during a dyno run. At least that confirmed that it was the gauge and not an actual lack of fuel pressure.

Zoom forward a few more months to today. Had some spare time so I decided to pull out the SOS pillar pod and install the SOS dash pod. After coming up with a couple of new cuss words while routing all the wiring through the defroster vents I plug in the gauges and turn on the key to make sure everything is working. The fuel pressure gauge cycled then went to 100psi. It has done this a couple of times in the past but usually turning the key off and back on would correct it. And if not it would correct itself within a mile or two of driving. But not this time. Damn thing goes right to 100psi and stays there. I triple checked all the wiring and with the exception of one question I see absolutely nothing wrong. That one question is which one of the two black wires goes to the sending unit and which one goes direct to ground. I am pretty sure I know by compairing the plug to the plug on my water temp gauge. It has 5 wires, the fuel pressure gauge has 6. And I am 99% certain that the "6th" wire is the one that goes to the sending unit.

Only reason this is even a question is because I had to cut the wiring to get it through the dash vent because the friggin plugs were too big to go through the vent. Both wires in question appear to be a ground so even if they were flipped I don't see it causing the gauge issue. But just to satasify my own curiosity I swapped them and it made no difference.

I fucked with this one stupid gauge for about 2 hours trying to figure out what I could have screwed up moving it and came up with nothing. Now for the REALLY jacked up part. Swap the fuel pressure gauge with the water temp gauge ( same pinout on the plug, just one extra black wire ) and turn the key on and the water temp gauge goes straight to 260 degrees. Basically does the same thing as the fuel pressure gauge. So I figure I would try the fuel pressure on the water temp harness. Yea... well that was pissin' in the wind. It still went straight to 100. Put the gauges back to their correct wiring harnesses and the water temp works as normal, fuel pressure is still maxed out.

One thing I did notice. If I unplug the sending unit, gauge does the same thing. So it is like it is not getting any signal at all after it's initial sweep. I don't know if the gauge just shit the bed or if the sending unit went south. Either way it doesn't matter. Can't buy the damn sending units from Autometer. I know, I tried. You can get them from Summit, couple of other aftermarket places, but not from Autometer. So it looks like I am out $100+ for another damn fuel pressure gauge sensor. Or possibly an entire new gauge setup.

Does anyone know if ALL Autometer digital gauges ( i.e. Cobalt, C2, Sport Comp ) have the same pinout configuration? I do have a buddy that has Sport Comps in his car. Might try my gauge in his car and/or his gauge in my car to see if I can at least narrow this horseshit down a little.

As a side note. The SOS dash pods look great. BUT... just say screw it and get the "drill" model instead of the no drill model. Getting the wiring down through the vents is a complete pain in the ass. I think if I had to do it all over again, or if I had helped someone else do theirs first, I wouldn't think twice about the version that you drill a hole in the dash and run the wires up through the hole instead of the version that you run the wiring through the defroster vents.

Last edited:

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know this doesn't sound right but if I wasn you I'll buy the same gauge set-up and return the old one....fuck it....:naughty:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For what thier gauges cost....... i'm not beyond entertaining that idea.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Autometers instructions advise to remote install the sending unit in F/I applications. They state the vibrations can cause premature failure of the sending unit. Maybe that's the issue. ??

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
I know last year when I was researching gauges, there was lots of talk about the Autometer sending units going south- but people were buying new sending units- not doubting you but you're sure they won't sell just the sender? If not, that is bullshit.

My AM Cobalt-series fuel gauge has always been off just a tad (tested the same way you tested, plugging a manual gauge into the fuel rail block) and my AM Cobalt-series boost guage has been off by 2psi (reads low) since it was brand new. WTF is wrong with these guages for as much $$ as they cost? I have 2 Aeroforce guages that I may hook up FP and Boost senders for just to have something more accurate than the AMs.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would gladly try a new sending unit if someone knows where to get them and they not damn near cost the price of a complete gauge replacement. Cheapest I have seen is Summit and they are a hundred freakin' dollars.

Last edited:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would gladly try a new sending unit if someone knows where to get them and they not damn near cost the price of a complete gauge replacement. Cheapest I have seen is Summit and they are a hundred freakin' dollars.
Hey Doc, Are yours in a bussed system like the Nexxus gauges?

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know last year when I was researching gauges, there was lots of talk about the Autometer sending units going south- but people were buying new sending units- not doubting you but you're sure they won't sell just the sender? If not, that is bullshit.

My AM Cobalt-series fuel gauge has always been off just a tad (tested the same way you tested, plugging a manual gauge into the fuel rail block) and my AM Cobalt-series boost guage has been off by 2psi (reads low) since it was brand new. WTF is wrong with these guages for as much $$ as they cost? I have 2 Aeroforce guages that I may hook up FP and Boost senders for just to have something more accurate than the AMs.

Tom, do you have pics showing how you remote mounted yours?

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
One thing I did notice. If I unplug the sending unit, gauge does the same thing. So it is like it is not getting any signal at all after it's initial sweep.

Doc,

Check your wires for this one particular guage, especially where they go through the firewall. If the insulation rubbed off and one of them grounded out, then it may act this way. Or vice-versa, maybe one of the wires has broken and is basically an open circuit.

With power at the gauge you can test it at the pod by wiring up a 1000ohm resistor to ground and touching one of the terminal so see if the gauge responds.

Hope this helps.

Mike

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
As a side note. The SOS dash pods look great. BUT... just say screw it and get the "drill" model instead of the no drill model. Getting the wiring down through the vents is a complete pain in the ass. I think if I had to do it all over again, or if I had helped someone else do theirs first, I wouldn't think twice about the version that you drill a hole in the dash and run the wires up through the hole instead of the version that you run the wiring through the defroster vents.
Was it the size of the connectors, or just getting access that caused the grief? I'm thinking if its the connectors, then maybe the Nexus wouldn't be as bad.

Last edited:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Doc,

Check your wires for this one particular guage, especially where they go through the firewall. If the insulation rubbed off and one of them grounded out, then it may act this way. Or vice-versa, maybe one of the wires has broken and is basically an open circuit.

With power at the gauge you can test it at the pod by wiring up a 1000ohm resistor to ground and touching one of the terminal so see if the gauge responds.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I will give the resistor test a shot and see what happens. As far as the broken or grounded, I did buzz out the wiring between the sending unit and where I cut them, and also between where I cut them and the plug for the gauge. No indication of a break or a short.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Was it the size of the connectors, or just getting access that caused the grief? I'm thinking if its the connectors, then maybe the Nexus wouldn't be as bad.

Do not know the exact size, but my unofficial measurement is they are about a 16th of an inch too damn big.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
check egages.com, I think they sell sending units seperately

Somehow I am sure you meant egauges.com. But anyway, they don't sell the sending unit. Or at least after searching through their web site for 15 minutes or so I couldn't find it. Putting in the part number brought back zero results also. If I wanted to buy a complete gauge replacement setup they are about $35 bucks higher than the cheapest place I have found it.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I think I'm in the same jacked up boat as you Hawg, but with my boost gauge. After the rebuild my digital boost gauge didnt work anymore. The Setup was the same. I tired running another sig wire and new ground(didnt help) I just paid another 60+ for a new sending unit and that didnt help.. all thats left is the gauge =-/

I got mine from Norskog. Not bad when it was working before

http://www.nordskogperformance.net/

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i jsut bought a sender for my nexus electric fuel pressure gague seperately without an issue.

Auto Meter 2246 Replacement Sender for Oil / Fuel Pressure Gauge

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIH39Q

Which falls right in to the category of what I said earlier... a hundred freakin' bucks for the sensor.

Just curious Ron, why did you have to buy another sensor?

Josh@PMP

Reaction score
Which falls right in to the category of what I said earlier... a hundred freakin' bucks for the sensor.

Just curious Ron, why did you have to buy another sensor?

When we were working on the fuel system in his car the reading on it was way off. it was about 10 psi below what it should be even on the stock fuel system. and it didn't change. it read in just a 5 psi range....

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I will bite the bullet and throw down for a sensor in the hopes that is what the actual issue is. Just buzzed the wiring (again) and verified no breakage between the plug for the sensor and the plug for the gauge for the gray, purple, and black wire. Also verified that none of the wires have any connectivity between them with the sensor unplugged (i.e. not a bare spot in two wires anywhere and them touching together) So the connection is good.

Do have a a couple of questions if someone has a little time and could verify for me.
1) With the sensor plugged in, what (if any) resistance do you have between the black wire and the purple wire? What about the black wire and the gray wire? I have no idea if it should be isolated between them or if there is actual resistance with the sensor plugged in. Between black and purple I have around 1 1/2m ohms. Between black and grey it is about 25m.

2) On the connector, top row (side with the retainer clip) looking at it from the side that plugs in to the gauge, looking left to right. You have a red wire, a black wire, and a black wire. The black wire in the middle. That is the black wire to the sensor, correct? And the black wire on the right (pin position 3) is ground, right? I am assuming this is correct because my water temp gauge only has two wires from the sensor (purple and gray, missing the black wire) and it's plug has the red wire in pin position 1, and black in pin position 3. With the fuel pressure having the extra black wire running to the sensor, makes sense that the black wire in position 2 would be that wire. But would like to confirm just in case.

These are Cobalt gauges by the way. Pretty much any of their digital series gauges (non controller box gauges) should have the same sensors, wiring config, etc.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back