F150 Ecoboost Builds

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nick, I've noticed that the tailgates on these trucks bounce terribly if you drive them at all with the tailgate down, like moving it around to unload something. Does the tailgate assist help with this?

I would assume so. It takes just a slight bit more force to close the tailgate now, so I think it may be just enough to remedy your problem.

You have the tailgate step?

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Hmmm....I noticed the step bouncing on mine, but not the tailgate itself.

I'll check it out tomorrow for you and report back.

Yeah, my step bounces/rattles a little with the gate up, but with it down, its almost like the tailgate is super light or has a little spring assist built into it to make it easier to lift. I don't think it does but if you hit the slightest bump even at a very slow speed the tailgate will bounce several inches. But for 20 bucks I may just order this thing and be done with it. LOL

Thanks Nick for the info.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Exactly right, for $20 it's hard to beat it.

I'll drive it around tomorrow with the tailgate down and I'll let you know how it goes.

white_lightning

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, my step bounces/rattles a little with the gate up, but with it down, its almost like the tailgate is super light or has a little spring assist built into it to make it easier to lift. I don't think it does but if you hit the slightest bump even at a very slow speed the tailgate will bounce several inches. But for 20 bucks I may just order this thing and be done with it. LOL

Thanks Nick for the info.

There is a torsion bar in the tailgate to make it light/easy to close.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
There is a torsion bar in the tailgate to make it light/easy to close.

well that x'plains it!!! Another what the hell was Ford thinking!! This rates right up there with the tailgate step! LOL! IMO.

Who's having trouble closing the tailgates on these trucks? This is just rediculous that they would think that people need help raising a half ton pickup tailgate!!

Thanks for the info

Franchi

Senior JR Member....
Reaction score
That's pretty sweet! Ill have to get one of those tailgate assists. Next on my list is a pair of retrofit built HIDS from Bilinvac, been on his waiting list for 4 months now and my build is scheduled for third week of march. Not sure on all what I'm gonna have him do but I know it will be flat black inside with blue flame ( he ordered blue flame OEM paint for my build ) projectors and possibly a outer edge of blue flame. Then a tailgate assist like Nick posted, a bedrug and gonna see if I can get a stripper pole from somewhere as i don't have one on my 12 and would be useful for my 5'3 wife. Then begins the plannin for the stereo build! But all will take a while since I'm only allowing myself a few hundred a month in mod money, rest is getting dumped down on the truck as I'm trying to get it fully paid off by end of 2013 and bought it August of 2012. Hate having a car payment, and first new vehicle I've ever bought but well worth it I think. Still just as much fun to drive every day and LOVE the massive amounts of turbo whistle. Stang has been down for a while too as I have a short somewhere that keeps killing my battery and haven't had time to find it.

Last edited:

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I
That's pretty sweet! Ill have to get one of those tailgate assists. Next on my list is a pair of retrofit built HIDS from Bilinvac, been on his waiting list for 4 months now and my build is scheduled for third week of march. Not sure on all what I'm gonna have him do but I know it will be flat black inside with blue flame ( he ordered blue flame OEM paint for my build ) projectors and possibly a outer edge of blue flame. Then a tailgate assist like Nick posted, a bedrug and gonna see if I can get a stripper pole from somewhere as i don't have one on my 12 and would be useful for my 5'3 wife. Then begins the plannin for the stereo build! But all will take a while since I'm only allowing myself a few hundred a month in mod money, rest is getting dumped down on the truck as I'm trying to get it fully paid off by end of 2013 and bought it August of 2012. Hate having a car payment, and first new vehicle I've ever bought but well worth it I think. Still just as much fun to drive every day and LOVE the massive amounts of turbo whistle. Stang has been down for a while too as I have a short somewhere that keeps killing my battery and haven't had time to find it.

Battery tender!! Problem solved.

Sent from iPhone

Bodam

forum member
Reaction score
Started this week with tint, weather tech front and back, and leveling kit tomorrow.

Don't know what's gonna be next....

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any time Brian!

Started this week with tint, weather tech front and back, and leveling kit tomorrow.

Don't know what's gonna be next....

Nice start! How about a Cravenspeed antenna. They're cheap and really look good!

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
Got up early and got a few more goodies installed.
y3amehy6.jpg
anu2enu9.jpg
4ahu4una.jpg
a4abu3ut.jpg

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
Love that gauge....nice touch

Going today to check out a ecoboost and 5.0 not sure which engine I want.

Lowfast

Just another idiot
Reaction score
Have any of the eco-boost owners in this thread experieinced any of the engine/intercooler issues that seem to be "internet" common? I like the idea of the ecoboost and have even considered one to replace my '03 supercrew, but the issues with the engine and the seemingly overstated MPG estimates have me giving it another thought. As wrong as it may be, given I am a ford guy, I am even considering wating for the 3.0 Deisel & 8 speed combo in the updated Ram.

Franchi

Senior JR Member....
Reaction score
I had the condensation issue once leaving a toll booth on a road trip, was super foggy and just came out of heavy rain. Stumbled for a second, so I pulled off, shut it down, fired back up and took off with zero issues.

But that was back when I had the stock intercooler too, I have the Wagner intercooler now and zero issues. I did drive 10k miles though on the stock cooler with no issues in all weather, just that once

Lowfast

Just another idiot
Reaction score
Seems as those in the North are having more issues because the condensation will collect and then freeze in the intercooler plugging it up. Having now lived in Wisconsin for a winter I can see how this could happen and become a major issue. Funny, it is a design issue with the Ford intercooler because the intercooler on my current F150 procharger set-up has had zero issues even when we are down in the negatives.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back