Failing ECU or? Top tuners chime in.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Does this post seem odd to you as well? I know I got a gut feeling that this isn't what it seems. No introduction, no, background, yet I get the sense he knows more then the average newbie yet can't figure this out. OP why don't you find a ecu from a junkyard and have it flashed by the dealer then drop your tune in there and see if your issue still exists? Did you use a Ford fuel pump when you replaced it? Have you replaced or serviced the injectors? What about the cops, are they ford or aftermarket?

Just noticed my membership info shows I recently joined.

I actually joined shortly after purchasing my first 05 back in December 04.

I posted more than a few times for a couple of years... then dropped off as my focus went from cars to my children.

I had to re-register.... using my old user name.
Maybe inactivity?

But hey.... I've been around, and found this a good forum for my technical needs.

so youre saying you joined this forum in 2004? hmmm

What was your username in 2004? I can assure you that you weren't a member in 2004.

Are you a paid poster?

maurice05

Reaction score
there wouldnt be a need to drive to venezuela. Manuel has tuned many of our cars quite successfully without ever even seeing them.

I'm pretty sure my cars problem has more to it than simply downloading a tune.

After all.... I have tried two different tunes so far....

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have any of the data logs you've done still on file? Perhaps Lito (or other tuners, like Mike Rousch of Mid Atlantic Performance, who I recommend and have personal experience with in my old 2011 GT) would be willing/able to look at them if you emailed them to him? Just a thought.

maurice05

Reaction score
OK... so today I attempted something new.

I tried to install the 93 octane "canned" strategy tune that comes with the Xcal 3 device into my cars computer, selecting of course the correct JLT cold air and charge motion delete options.

The car could hardly even idle. The CEL, battery and security lights were flashing, along with just about all of the other dash indicators. The message center kept scrolling "Engine Temp", "Check gas cap" etc.....

I tried this three different times. Altering the 3 different JLT cold air intake options. (yes I know which one I have) Just wanted to be sure the program was not being fouled up by the CAI selection.

None worked.

I reflashed back to the original shop tune, and the car runs fine.
(did not test to see if the hesitation problem was still there due to ice conditions here in NC)

Todays situation is giving me second thoughts about having Ford flash my computer to the most current "stock" condition. This may change the vehicle strategy, making the shop dyno tunes useless.... and with the Xcal tunes not working.... my car could end up stuck at the dealership.

I spoke with SCT.... they are also concerned something may be up with the stock or computer program. They have offered to assist via remote linking to the cars files.... but given the cold weather... I may have to wait a few days.

maurice05

Reaction score
Do you have any of the data logs you've done still on file? Perhaps Lito (or other tuners, like Mike Rousch of Mid Atlantic Performance, who I recommend and have personal experience with in my old 2011 GT) would be willing/able to look at them if you emailed them to him? Just a thought.

I'd consider it.

Others have looked over the files and saw nothing unusual.

Preferably, I'd want the tuner to let me know what info/channels they would want to have data logged... so that they would be getting what they need to see... and I would note the time stamps when the problem was occurring.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
is it possible that you have mods on the car that the tunes are not accounting for?

maurice05

Reaction score
is it possible that you have mods on the car that the tunes are not accounting for?

Not that I'm aware of.

When I purchased the car it was for the most part stock.

I did the mods.

The only thing not covered by Xcal 3 options would be the Comp Stage 2 cams in the car.... but according to comp, they are mild enough to be used without any sort of tune.

The Steeda under-drive pullies and flowmaster mufflers shouldnt effect anything.

I figure if there were some sort of "hidden" mod I'm not aware of... one of the tuners would have noticed it.

One thing is for sure.... my dashboard was blinking like a Christmas tree.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
OK... so today I attempted something new.

I tried to install the 93 octane "canned" strategy tune that comes with the Xcal 3 device into my cars computer, selecting of course the correct JLT cold air and charge motion delete options.

The car could hardly even idle. The CEL, battery and security lights were flashing, along with just about all of the other dash indicators. The message center kept scrolling "Engine Temp", "Check gas cap" etc.....

I tried this three different times. Altering the 3 different JLT cold air intake options. (yes I know which one I have) Just wanted to be sure the program was not being fouled up by the CAI selection.

None worked.

I reflashed back to the original shop tune, and the car runs fine.
(did not test to see if the hesitation problem was still there due to ice conditions here in NC)

Todays situation is giving me second thoughts about having Ford flash my computer to the most current "stock" condition. This may change the vehicle strategy, making the shop dyno tunes useless.... and with the Xcal tunes not working.... my car could end up stuck at the dealership.

I spoke with SCT.... they are also concerned something may be up with the stock or computer program. They have offered to assist via remote linking to the cars files.... but given the cold weather... I may have to wait a few days.

the shop can easily change that in a matter of minutes.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
if you datalog the short term fuel trims, do they 0.0 out when this happens at steady throttle or do they keep bouncing around ? I'm wondering if its going into fuel shutoff

maurice05

Reaction score
if you datalog the short term fuel trims, do they 0.0 out when this happens at steady throttle or do they keep bouncing around ? I'm wondering if its going into fuel shutoff

Early on, I logged this.
Apparently Ford did have trouble with the concept of shutting down the injectors entirely on deceleration to save on gas.

Did not see short term fuel trim go to zero.

I will re-check this on my next data log run.

THANKS!!!!

maurice05

Reaction score
Today I was able to have Ford verify that the car ECU is in fact running the most recent program load/strategy. The tech did not see anything to indicate a possible program corruption.

So a couple of weeks from now I will have my local tune shop swap out the cars ECU with one they have on hand that matches mine... to see if there is a hardware issue.

I'm also going to have SCT send me a tune file to load, just to see if somehow the "canned" tunes in my handheld are bad.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, a buddy of mine just went through something similar. His car had a weird stutter getting into boost. I looked at datalogs and never saw anything wrong. It ended up being the ECU. It's been swapped and the car is running great now.

maurice05

Reaction score
FWIW, a buddy of mine just went through something similar. His car had a weird stutter getting into boost. I looked at datalogs and never saw anything wrong. It ended up being the ECU. It's been swapped and the car is running great now.

Thanks for the info.

This is the sort of stuff I'm looking for on the forum.

I'm looking forward to seeing if a new ECU will fix my cars issue.

maurice05

Reaction score
Today I was able to have Ford verify that the car ECU is in fact running the most recent program load/strategy. The tech did not see anything to indicate a possible program corruption.

So a couple of weeks from now I will have my local tune shop swap out the cars ECU with one they have on hand that matches mine... to see if there is a hardware issue.

I'm also going to have SCT send me a tune file to load, just to see if somehow the "canned" tunes in my handheld are bad.

Tech was out sick today..... rescheduled for this Friday.

I havent messed with the SCT folks for now.

maurice05

Reaction score
New computer put in today.

Car seems to be running well, with no indication of the issue.

Going to drive it for at least 100 miles before I consider it solved.

maurice05

Reaction score
NOPE... wrote too soon.... not fixed.

Same issue as before.

Put on a new Throttle Position Sensor as well.

Still no luck........... going back to the original ECU.... and square one.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
how did you go about deleting the charge motion plates?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back