Few laps around Waterford Hills Raceway in Michigan

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Decent as in Koni STR.t struts & Tein S tech springs on 255 width tires. I've got 9.75" width wheels though, so there's definitely room to grow.
I'm happy with the way it drives but aside from wider tires and coilovers I'm wondering if there's anything else I left on the table.

There is other stuff you can add, but the shocks/springs/wheels/tires are the easiest/best way to make the car better. Instead of buying other stuff, I'd get some seat time and save for getting some better shocks/springs/wheels/tires. Those four things are the "core" if your build....everything else is complementary.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Decent as in Koni STR.t struts & Tein S tech springs on 255 width tires. I've got 9.75" width wheels though, so there's definitely room to grow.
I have to ask - does anybody actually make wheels for cars in width increments other than 1/2"? Or is this an actual measurement taken between the wheel flanges at the wheel's outer diameter (which would suggest that the wheel is actually a 9.5)?

Once you've got all those better shocks/springs/wheels/tires, you aren't quite done if you want to maximize what they can give you. Alignment and possibly shock tuning matter, and there are at least three general approaches for your tuning efforts (optimized for the track and left that way on the street, swapping between a track-optimized setup and a street-optimized setup, settling on something in between and forgetting it).

Norm

forum member
Reaction score
Bingo. My XXR 553s are one of several models offered in .25" increments.
As for alignment tuning I'd probably settle for something in between track optimized and street optimized as this is a street car 99% of the time.

5.M0NSTER

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what's a good lap time around Waterford these days? I was there in the early 90s in my Fox, and seem to remember getting to the lower 1:20s was a decent lap.

It's a fun little track, would love to get down there again sometime.

cheers
Ed
I think this still hold true. Spec Miata guys can do it in 1:19 or 1:18 time.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back