Fiberglass to metal adaptation.

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
Ok here are my questions to any bodyshop guys. i have my stock hood and saw some fiberglass cowl hood scoops from 2"-4" in height for sale. How much of a good idea is it to either bond it or have it attached to my stock metal hood (08 GT)? Is it possible? What would be the right way to bond/attach it? Will the heat crack it? Vibration cracking issues? Overall, is it a good idea? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Honestly I wouldn't bond fiberglass to metal. The fact of the matter is that they are two different materials and will react to temperature and vibrations differently, meaning the seam between the two will be subject to a lot more stress and fatigue than if the two were the same material.

Is it possible? Sure.
Will the heat crack it? Eventually I would imagine so, but really it depends on how the bonding and filling is done.
Will there be vibration cracking issues? Again, I would imagine that eventually yes. Really I would be worried about it with the way our hoods like to come up at the front corners. You would likely reduce the chances of vibration or fatigue cracks by adding a good set of hood pins.

Again, I wouldn't do it because it's inherently inferior to a metal to metal bond, but I'm sure you could make it work for at least a few years without issue.

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight! I thought it would be a project to look into since my stock hood does have funcional hood pins. But wasn't sure if the seam will crack within months or weeks. Like you mentioned it would take vibrations differently, but it was just a thought. Much appreciated.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight! I thought it would be a project to look into since my stock hood does have funcional hood pins. But wasn't sure if the seam will crack within months or weeks. Like you mentioned it would take vibrations differently, but it was just a thought. Much appreciated.

I feel like if it took months or weeks then it was an issue with the craftsmanship of the seam. It certainly won't last as long as a metal to metal weld or a fiberglass to fiberglass bond, but if done by someone that knows what they're doing, I would guess it would last at least a year or two.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back