Finally got my hood painted

wckdgt

forum member
Reaction score
Finally got my hood painted (updated w hood on car)

got this pic from my painter today, still has to sand and buff.

Last edited:

wckdgt

forum member
Reaction score
thanks guys, yea I dropped it off to him on Friday and I pick it up Tuesday. I haven't drove the car since Friday and I miss it already!! I don't know how you do it ultraklassic!!! lol

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Looks really good. I'm thinking of selling my hood and getting a cowl hood soon also. Kind of want to change up the look of the car a little bit.

fnfast

forum member
Reaction score
Your ride is going to look sweet!! Snowing by me as well. U located in Chicago too. Lol

cschoening09

forum member
Reaction score
just for future reference for myself - whats does a body shop charge to paint a hood like that? I've been looking into them myself, but thinking of painting it on my own if its god awful high as I have an HVLP gun.

wckdgt

forum member
Reaction score
just for future reference for myself - whats does a body shop charge to paint a hood like that? I've been looking into them myself, but thinking of painting it on my own if its god awful high as I have an HVLP gun.

my guy does it out of his garage, as side work, he only charged me a few hundered. he also did a color change on my 97 a few years ago

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Every shop would be different on price. Some places use dupont some ppg and numerous different paints each one cost a different amount. Also depends on if a hood like that needed any body work if the underneath was painted. I use high end paint guns that cost $700 and up. The best guns really are not hvlp guns while hvlp has more transfer it also creates more orange peel because it does not atomize as well due to the low pressure its designed for. Most people end up cranking the air pressure way up and then its not really an hvlp anymore. Compliant guns spray clear better then hvlp. Then again on any flat panel you can lay it on pretty thick and it will flow out less likely for a run then a vertical panel. I probably blew this thread up and gave no helpful information and in reality a skilled painter can use a harbor freight paint gun and get perfect results. Might have to do a little extra cutting and buffing. Im guessing to do that hood just the top of it with material included and no body work $275 how close am i

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back