Finally installed my DIY side splitters and front splitter 05 GT content

91svtcoupe

forum member
Reaction score
So ive been wanting to build my own side splitters and a front splitter for sometime now....I wanted both for just looks as I love the look on the newer stangs and Imo there just a cool little add on that can take ur cars look from stock to lets say fast....lol....

In all seriousness its just a good look for about any car and so I decided to build one....not everything is perfect but it works and I have a few ideas on how to improve it for maybe a little neater instal next time, cutting the alumlite with a jig saw is not the easiest so my curves are not exactly smooth rounded but no one so far says they can really tell it.

What I used

1-8x10 sheet of alumalite sign board picked up at local sign store for $84

Had them cut the side pcs 75x6 1/4 inches so they would be exactly straight no extra cost

I used card board to trace out my front Cv2 spoiler and just moved it up for the correct length amd trimmed down the sides

I bought a set of turn buckles from local hard ware store 5/16 $2.59 each
Bought two eye hooks for the upper mount about $1.70
Bought some stainless steel bolts and nylon lock nuts to attach everything $6
For the sides I purchased ten self taping 2" screws to go all the way up to the body amd used ten self taping small screws to add extra strength to the side pcs $4
On the front I used about 15 fender bolts from my parts ben. Needed a few long ones for the center and basically attached them from the bottom all the way through the bumper cover using some flat long pcs of metal as a washer on top to spread out the attachment on the bumper $0

I took one side of the rocker ground effects off so I could see what was there to attach them and then I used it to measure and trace out the inside of each side splitter

I made the brackets on the front of the splitter out of square alum

Thats about it....turned out pretty good I think...I painted them with bed liner paint so far so good and actually looks like plastic now..hopefully ot will hold up to the rock chips etc..

And I actually do believe the splitter may be catching some air and creating down force on the front as I drove the car at 80-90 mph yesterday the steering wheels seemed to be tight as if possibly the wind is causing the car to push down towards the road causing more complete tire/road contact....maybe my mind? Lol

fnfast

forum member
Reaction score
Looks great!! You will definitely feel a downforce in the front. Mine stick out nearly 6" and it really pushes down on higher speeds. Did you use your stock hardware to attach the side splitters.

91svtcoupe

forum member
Reaction score
Looks great!! You will definitely feel a downforce in the front. Mine stick out nearly 6" and it really pushes down on higher speeds. Did you use your stock hardware to attach the side splitters.

The stock push self locking pins were not quite long enough they went in but I need a new set because there a little loose...as they are always when u pull them out and it breaker some of the teeth on them....yes they are there but plan on ordering a new set for both sides....

I mainly attached with small self drilling screws...I know there will be holes in the bottom of my rockers now but I don't see me pulling them back off

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
I always like seeing threads where someone does something like this to stand out. Your car looks great and those wheels look badass on there.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Looks great. I actually bought the CDC side splitters for like $180, but these look just as good. I've been looking to make an additional front splitter out of 3/8 textured ABS as well as some rear spats.

91svtcoupe

forum member
Reaction score
Looks great. I actually bought the CDC side splitters for like $180, but these look just as good. I've been looking to make an additional front splitter out of 3/8 textured ABS as well as some rear spats.

Thanks. ...yeah with the cost of the different manufacturers of these things I just couldn't justify the expense. ..although they definitely have the fitment and look down to a t....I just couldn't see spending the nearly $300-500 these same parts would have cost me....my side splitters actually look very close to the roush splitters just not quite as thick as I checked them next to a friends car yesterday but mine seem to be more stable right now than his....doing it over id probably go a tad thicker on the sides

Im also making rear spats for mine and going to fab up a rear difusor of sorts also

Here is the rear spats....not done yet

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. ...yeah with the cost of the different manufacturers of these things I just couldn't justify the expense. ..although they definitely have the fitment and look down to a t....I just couldn't see spending the nearly $300-500 these same parts would have cost me....my side splitters actually look very close to the roush splitters just not quite as thick as I checked them next to a friends car yesterday but mine seem to be more stable right now than his....doing it over id probably go a tad thicker on the sides

Im also making rear spats for mine and going to fab up a rear difusor of sorts also

Very nice. I was picturing something similar in my head for mine. Problem is I've got about 100 other projects coming up first. Post up your results when finished. Im probably not going to do anything more than the factory GT500 "diffuser" personally, but interested in seeing what you come up with.

91svtcoupe

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice. I was picturing something similar in my head for mine. Problem is I've got about 100 other projects coming up first. Post up your results when finished. Im probably not going to do anything more than the factory GT500 "diffuser" personally, but interested in seeing what you come up with.

I know right....trying to finish this up last week after visualizing it in my head for months was a relief....it probably could have been done in a days time but between mowing season starting and a ton of other things I just had a few mins here and there to try and do it....

I am going to start on the diffuser ....dang grollia fingers....

But yeah if I had a GT 500 or CS rear bumper I wouldn't do anything. ..but the stock GT's just dont have anything in the rear that looks good imo....it want actually be attached to the bumper what I have vision of is basically a cover over the rear tank

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I'd like to see a pic of the edges of the front spoiler made out of the alumalite. Are they smooth like ABS or are they "corrugated"?

91svtcoupe

forum member
Reaction score
I'd like to see a pic of the edges of the front spoiler made out of the alumalite. Are they smooth like ABS or are they "corrugated"?

They are corrugated i guess if thats what it is called....its alum with plastic like material sandwhich in between....i sanded down the edges some to remove any rough areas....and then the bedliner paint is so textured and rough it actually works well and almost makes it dissappear....ill get a close up of the before and after paint of the edge so u can see later

ChrisGT

Nice Shirt Bilkins
Reaction score
This is awesome. Great work man. I have been wanting to do the same but haven't found time yet. Looks excellent on your car.

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good. I am doing the same, but using 6mm Sintra sign board. Got a 4 x 8 sheet for $60. So far I have done the rear splitters and diffuser panel like the RTR rear. I will eventually do the front as well. I have already got the Ford Boss LS bumper bracket and got turnbuckles off ebay.

91svtcoupe

forum member
Reaction score
This is awesome. Great work man. I have been wanting to do the same but haven't found time yet. Looks excellent on your car.

Your car looks amazing already. ...thanks

Looks good. I am doing the same, but using 6mm Sintra sign board. Got a 4 x 8 sheet for $60. So far I have done the rear splitters and diffuser panel like the RTR rear. I will eventually do the front as well. I have already got the Ford Boss LS bumper bracket and got turnbuckles off ebay.

I dont remember the size I got....but its pretty sturdy

Got any pictures of how u did ur rear? Since I haven't done it yet and only have a vision of it...wouldn't mind seeing it....if u don't mind

I looked and looked for turn buckles on ebay....some reviews wasnt good for the cheaper ones on Amazon that ebay sales have....and the other ones again were like $60-70 so I just hardware stored it....for about $20

I will be looking to upgrade my brackets just for looks but as far as support its good....

91svtcoupe

forum member
Reaction score
I will third that!!! Looking at your test fitment, the parts would probably look great body color as well as the matte black.

My ten year old son said the same thing...as we were looking it over while working on it......just the thought of white and the bugs this thing Wil eat I figured the touch up will be much easier with black.....

Thanks again guys....appreciate the compliments

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back