Finally! Some movement towards my issues...I/C Pump!

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I installed mine in the stock ROUSH location.

DSC07361.jpg

My setup runs cool...its never been hot. Even after a 20 min track session or a 2 hour road trip, you can touch the tank without burning yourself. Its warm to hot, but I suspect most of the heat is transferred from the engine bay heat into the reservoir as its an aluminum tank.

I want to replace my Meziere pump not due to coolant issues, but more so I want a cleaner and quieter setup.

Plus I have found slight moistness around the bottom of the pump, but hoses and hose fittings are dry. I am thinking its coming from the lower half of the pump.

You likely did already, but just in case did you check the little "BLEED" cap screw on the inlet side of the pump for leaks?

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
You likely did already, but just in case did you check the little "BLEED" cap screw on the inlet side of the pump for leaks?

Nope, did not even realize there was one... lol
Since the car is all apart right now, its a lot more visible than when everything is installed. I'll go check. Thanks!!

Does it have a tendency to loosen or something?

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry, no experience one way or the other as I am just now installing a Meziere pump. On my pump for some reason the inlet and outlet ports were reversed from yours and what I need as well. I noticed the "Bleed" set screw when I took of the bottom plate to reverse the ports. It is a 3/16" set screw and mine does not appear to have any thread sealant on it.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Does it have a tendency to loosen or something?

It may never have been tight. Plus if I remember correctly it's a NPT thread. You could throw some pipe dope in there and make sure it's sealed.

On my pump for some reason the inlet and outlet ports were reversed from yours and what I need as well.
Which brings up a good question. AutoXRacer, are you sure your pump is pumping the right direction?

Scott, nice catch on the plug (I should have thought of that) and the flow direction. :beerchug2:

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Which brings up a good question. AutoXRacer, are you sure your pump is pumping the right direction?

Scott, nice catch on the plug (I should have thought of that) and the flow direction. :beerchug2:

Whats the best way of checking it?
I believe it was pumping correctly, but can't say 100% for sure now.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Whats the best way of checking it?
I believe it was pumping correctly, but can't say 100% for sure now.

Inlet to the pump is the bottom port making outlet the top port. While still up for debate, I believe the HE should be filled from the bottom. Therefore if your upper (output) hose from the pump goes to the bottom port of the HE it should be correct.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Oh geez... I might as well remove it and start over... LOL

Inlet to the pump is the bottom port making outlet the top port. While still up for debate, I believe the HE should be filled from the bottom. Therefore if your upper (output) hose from the pump goes to the bottom port of the HE it should be correct.

Thats how its plumbed...bottom port inlet, upper port outlet.
From the picture above, right hand is inlet, left hand outlet.

But my outlet is routed to the top of the intercooler.

Why is filling from the bottom better again?

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
We just got pWn3d. Wow. Talk about taking it to the next level...

And the front of the car. GEEZ!

If it's worth doing, it's worth over doing:)

It was an interesting test. And I'm glad I did it. But I doubt I would do it again.

Really it was an excuse to run NACA ducts in the 1/4 windows and have them serve a function. Kind of the long war around for some cool looking NACA ducts.:roflmao:

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
If it's worth doing, it's worth over doing:)

It was an interesting test. And I'm glad I did it. But I doubt I would do it again.

Really it was an excuse to run NACA ducts in the 1/4 windows and have them serve a function. Kind of the long war around for some cool looking NACA ducts.:roflmao:

I am wired like you. More is better. Overkill is just right.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Here's another option for an I/C pump. Several guys on the Saleen forum, lightning and Cobra forum are running it with great results. Waiting for mine to arrive.

http://www.anchorexpress.com/jabsco-low-pressure-cyclon-centrifugal-pump-12v-50840-0012

Just make sure you mount it vertical...I bought one and had mounted it horizontal and it would always drip. I even bought the seal rebuild kit, redid the seals and it still leaked. I need to figure out a new way to mount it so I can use it in addition to the Rule 2000 pump I have in my trunk tank.

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you mount it vertical...I bought one and had mounted it horizontal and it would always drip. I even bought the seal rebuild kit, redid the seals and it still leaked. I need to figure out a new way to mount it so I can use it in addition to the Rule 2000 pump I have in my trunk tank.

That's the plan. I saw one of the lightning guys had it mounted horizontally but most are going vertical.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
Question:

Particularly interested in hearing what GMitch has to say.

The particulars of my current plumbing:

Meziere 20GPM pump->Heat Exchanger->Intercooler->Canton icebox in battery location->Meziere 20GPM pump

I plumbed it that way because it was easy to use a Saleen pump bracket and modify it to feed the lower inlet of the heat exchanger:

IMG_7085-vi.jpg

IMG_7091-vi.jpg

I run it that way since the car is 95%+ a STREET car.

If I go to the track, I can move the hoses so it goes:

Meziere 20GPM pump->Heat Exchanger->Canton icebox in battery location->Intercooler->Meziere 20GPM pump

Here is my icebox:

IMG_7097-vi.jpg

Anyway...I have been considering re-installing the tiny Roush degas bottle (reservoir) for STREET use:

IMG_7086-vi.jpg

Why?

Because I think that once the fluid heat-soaks in street driving, I think the fluid will cool more quickly if I minimize the amount of (hot) fluid that is stored in the big Canton icebox. I would be decreasing overall system fluid quantity...and the fluid that I do have would either be in the intercooler, in my Afco dual pass heat exchanger, or in the pump/lines. At a given flow rate, the smaller quantity of fluid at a given temperature *might* cool down more quickly vs. a larger quantity, no?

Does that make any sense at all, or am I being an idiot?

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did some testing of different IC pumps and pump combos.

Test results after a few hours of alone time in the garage. I was suprised.
I used a an LZT water Liquid flow meter 3-30gpm, on a closed system with an AFCO dual pass non fanned HE, Lethal Performance IC tank, and running through the Saleen Inter Cooler. I was trying to be as real world as possible so the only thing I added to the system was the gauge which is 12" long.

Test 1 using the stock pump did not move the needle at all less than 3gpm. Normal flow through the system. Bosch numbers 039022002

Test 2 FRP SVT Bosch pump that is supposed to be an upgrade from the Stock Saleen Pump Bosch numbers 039202209. Exact same results as the stock saleen pump less than 3gpm. No difference in the water being moved through the system.

Test 3 Jabsco 50840-0012 same results as the SVT and Saleen Pump except that it is very evident when looking at the IC tank that more water is being moved but the gauge again did not register any different. Flow was less than 3 gpm.

Test 4 Saleen pump and SVT pump in series. Finally got enough pressure in the system to register 4gpm on the gauge. Heavy water movement in the IC tank.

Test 5 Saleen pump in series with the Jabsco (saleen feeding the Jabsco). This setup resulted in more water motion in the coolant tank than Test 4 but the gauge only registered slightly above 3 gpm. Down side to this setup it blew the fuse pretty quickly.

I wish I would have purchased a 2-18 gpm gauge in hindsight. I thought based on the data from the Lingenfelter test that a 3-30 would okay but I was wrong. The 2-18 would've been the better choice. I will not however be ordering another gauge from Hong Kong to repeat this test as I am ready to get the car running and on the streets.

I am going to try one other test tomorrow time permitting. I set the Jabsco pump up with the wrong connectors 1/2" instead of 3/4". To make the comparison fair I will get the correct connectors and test that setup again.

I also need to figure out which fuse is blown as that was a first for blowing that fuse. I do have some video of each test, but that will have to wait as we will be at a baseball tourney tomorrow.

Leaning towards two Bosch pumps in series after my experiment. I am going to be adding a GT500 HE to my current setup to see what effect that has on AIT's.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back