First HPDE: Sonoma Raceway

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I'm back from my very first HPDE in 15 years. This one was put on by NASA at Sonoma Raceway.

My goals in HPDE are, firstly, to have enormous amounts of fun; secondly, to learn how to safely and reliably drive the car at its limits; thirdly, to learn how to reliably recover the car when its limits are exceeded; and fourthly, to do all of the above without putting so much as a scratch on the car (save, of course, for the usual track-based wear and tear).

It was tremendous fun. But it was also frustrating. I'll get to the bit about frustration in a minute.

The instructors were excellent, but the sorts of problems I was having demanded a bit more attention to my specific needs. I think some progress was made on that front, and I'm hoping it continues. More on that, too, in a moment.

First, the fun stuff. I started off slow (quite slow, actually), and took my time ramping up. The first session of each day is a "slow lap" session in which everyone drives the line at about 45 MPH behind a pace car under a full course yellow condition without helmets. The other three sessions in each day were standard full-speed sessions. Group 1 (my group) had instructors in every car. Group 2 didn't except upon request (or, I suppose, when some remedial instruction was deemed necessary). It didn't take me long to learn the line as such. But despite that, it wasn't until the very last session of the weekend that I was going even moderately fast. That last session was the only one during which I passed anyone (and even then, I only passed one car).

The car performed admirably. Despite the fact that I was going slow (as evidenced by the fact that I got passed by literally everyone in the first 3 fast sessions), I was definitely working the car through the corners, as evidenced by the fact that the tread block edges have a melted look, and further confirmed by the track apps G meter, which shows a maximum of 0.9G to the right and 1.02G to the left (the latter probably due to the left hand sweeper which is turn 6). It was mainly in the straights that I was slower, because I wanted to approach the limits of the car very slowly, and my braking was very conservative and early, enough so that I never tripped the ABS.

My car has 285/35-19 Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position tires that are brand new, on Forgestar F14 wheels that I got from Vorshlag (who were awesome in their support! The spacers I needed for the front are excellent, and required no re-torquing anytime during or after the event). These tires have a treadwear rating of 280, but apparently there's only a loose relationship between treadwear rating and grip limit. 1.02G is probably somewhat close to the limits of these tires, but I won't be surprised if there's more for them to give, particularly at that size. Treadwear in the front appears to be even, which surprised me since I'm on the stock suspension and the stock alignment. It'll be interesting to see if that remains the case as I get faster.

This car is really easy to put where you want it. That kind of precision surprised me greatly, especially considering the size and weight of the car. I got that impression when I drove it on one of the somewhat twisty highways around here almost immediately after I bought it, but the track is where such things are made completely apparent. There was what seemed to be a decent amount of body roll at high lateral loads, enough that I'd prefer less, but it wasn't excessive. The car was completely controllable while under load like that. It was a pure joy to drive through the corners. The Recaro seats were absolutely fantastic and held me in really well. I also made use of a CG Lock for my seatbelt, and I suspect that helped the seat do its job better than it might have otherwise.

On the last session of the weekend, I decided to push it a bit, at least on the straights. Despite the fact that I've (naturally) done a lot of full throttle runs on the street, the speed you can build up with this thing on the track took me somewhat by surprise. You can really get yourself in trouble fast with this thing if you don't know what you're doing, enough that the speed I built up was even a little too much for turn 2 -- I had to slow it down for that. I took that as confirmation that my overall approach to driving the track is exactly the right one for the goals I have.

And so, the end result is that it was incredibly awesome fun. Based on my highly limited experience, it seems to me that people who belittle the stock suspension are giving it too little credit. It's good. Very, very good indeed. About the only thing I noticed is that the body does seem to roll a bit in the corners, but frankly, a lot of that might be me leaning in the seat to counteract the G forces.

But sadly, all is not bliss, and it has nothing to do with the car. It has to do with me. The problem is that I literally can concentrate on only one thing at a time, and when I do so, it is to the exclusion of all else. This means that when I'm concentrating on driving the line, as I was, I am unable to see the corner workers, even when they're waving flags. The only things I'm able to see are the apexes that I'm trying to hit. The faster I went, the further ahead I had to look, but the less precise I got, too. Going more slowly meant I could hit the apexes within a couple of feet or so of the target. Going more quickly caused me to be unable to hit the apexes quite as precisely.

This is exactly as I feared it would be in my discussion with Dave and others. It wasn't as bad as my experiences with Gran Turismo indicated it should be, but I'm not going as fast in real life as I am in the game, either. I should try going slowly in the game to see what sort of consistency I can achieve there. I will admit that the additional inputs (G loading, much greater visual resolution, 3D vision) seem to make a big difference here, but the effect is still the same. We'll see what happens as I ramp up. It may be that it's a question of finding the rhythm, as it were. I was doing some of that towards the end, so my consistency was still reasonably good. I dunno. Maybe my standards for myself are too high here.

The fact that it takes such intense concentration on my part to drive the line properly is a real problem, because it means that I can't be aware of anything else. If I start looking around at other things as well, then I lose my ability to drive the line precisely. This is probably something that is unique to me, hence the necessity of an instructor who could work with me. On my second day, they switched out my instructor after the first session precisely because of my frustration with this. That helped, and I'm hopeful that continued work on this will improve things, but I'm not terribly hopeful in that respect.

Why? Well, let me give you an example. While you're walking, do you look up at your destination and at the environment around you, or down at the ground about 20 feet or so ahead? I do the latter. The reason I do the latter is that, like everything else, walking requires conscious effort on my part, and I have to look at what I'm doing in order to be able to do it. Walking happens slowly enough that I do spend some cycles looking up and at my destination but a lot of the time is spent looking closer in. But it also depends on the environment. If I can look up and, due to changes in parallax, determine whether or not I'm walking in a straight line from that, then I don't spend as much time looking at the ground (but still must look at the ground at least a significant fraction of the time in order to avoid bumps, obstacles, breaks in the pavement, etc). But if I don't have that feedback from the environment, then I must look down at the ground. If I don't, then I wander. I also trip on seams in the pavement and such. What others joke about, I actually do when I'm not actually concentrating on what I'm doing. It makes it somewhat difficult for me to hold a reasonably intelligent conversation with someone even when I'm just walking.

And so it is with driving and everything else. I have to look at what I'm doing, and in order to do anything else, I have to divert my concentration. Now, on the roads, I'm able to do that reasonably easily because most of the motion is in a straight line, so I simply need to keep my hands still and the car does the rest. That gives me the opportunity to look around and see what's going on in the environment. This is not the case when I'm driving the track.

Another example is that I'm an instrument rated private pilot. Flying on instruments requires that you track lots of things at once and do lots of things at once. I don't do that. What I do instead is very quickly shift my focus from one thing to another. I shift my focus from the instruments to the approach I'm briefing, for instance, and after about a second, back to the instruments, which I have to scan sequentially. And I repeat that process until the approach is fully briefed. It is purely sequential, with each thing I'm doing taking a slice of time.

Those of you who are familiar with computers will immediately recognize what's going on here. I'm like a single CPU that has to time slice between different tasks in order to give the illusion of multitasking.

The end result is that I am very concerned about my ability to be safe on the track and to adhere to the rules. I can't see the corner workers unless I'm looking at them or for them, and I can't look at them or for them unless I'm diverting my attention from driving the line. If I'm diverting my attention in that way, then I will not be driving the line anymore, because driving the line requires continuously changing inputs. The only exception is the straights. The end result is that even on the 45 mph slow laps, I was unable to acknowledge the corner workers.

My instructor on the 2nd day was awesome. I think he really gets what's going on and what I'm going to need in order to improve. The bottom line is that driving the line is going to have to become so familiar that it (somehow) no longer takes as many cycles as it does, so that I can divert my attention from it periodically in order to spot the corner workers and spot traffic. The sheer amount of bandwidth required, however, is enough that I don't expect to ever get any good at this compared to other people. But only time will tell.

And so, it was an exhilarating exercise in frustration!
icon10.gif

But it's one that I want to repeat again and again. I'll stick with HPDE group 1 for as long as it takes to get this figured out. It may be that I never figure it out. That wouldn't surprise me. But as long as I'm having fun blasting around the track, I'm going to keep at it.

Oh, another thing: I love my car!! This thing is just awesome. I'm highly impressed with the stock suspension, but there are things I want to improve. I expect I'll be going with Ground Control coilovers, with 250 lbs/in in the front and 350 lbs/in in the rear (to keep the "flat ride" characteristics, and to keep the relative front to rear wheel rate characteristics), and otherwise keep the car the same (same sway bars, control arms, etc.), and lowering it by a mere 1/2 inch in both the front and the rear to keep the rear geometry essentially the same (no need to worry about pinion angle then) as well as meet my needs for ride quality and ground clearance (it is, after all, very much a daily driver). At most, I'll need an adjustable panhard bar on top of that. That should take care of the body roll as well as much of whatever brake dive I happen to notice. My braking style is such that I may never really notice the kind of brake dive that these cars are known for -- it takes me about a second to go from initial application of the brakes to whatever my maximum braking happens to be at the time. I'm that slow.

But I'm not doing squat until I've got several more sessions under my belt and I've finally gotten to the point where I can really test the limits of the car. Speaking of which...

As I mentioned, one of my goals is to learn how to reliably recover the car in the event I go past its limits. I've discussed that with a number of instructors, and the conclusion is that there's no good way to do that. Going past the limits means, in the context of driving on the track, going off the track in the event you don't recover properly. How in the world can you learn how to properly recover the car in those conditions if you can't afford to screw up the recovery? The answer is that you can't. And so, I'm frustrated about this as well. How can I possibly learn how to recover the car when I inevitably go past its limits unless I can somehow take it past those limits in a safe fashion? It's obviously not possible in an HPDE.

And if I can't learn how to reliably recover the car when going past its limits, it follows that I can't exceed its limits without incurring a lot of danger. And if I can't do that, then it follows that I can't learn to drive it at its limits, because doing so incurs the real danger of going past its limits. Therefore, it logically follows that I cannot accomplish any of my goals by driving in HPDEs except one: having fun! Fortunately, that's the most important goal I have (save for safety), so I don't view this as a showstopper. But it does have me looking for options, and if you guys have any suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

I can't wait for the next event! I'm definitely signing up for the Sonoma Raceway event in June.

Last edited:

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Oh, another note: attempting to learn the track by videos and by studying the map didn't do squat for me. It seems the only way I learn a track is by actually driving on it (or, possibly, simulating such, as with a "driving simulator" -- that remains to be seen, as I'll need to actually drive Laguna Seca to learn this).

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Well, I'm back from my very first HPDE in 15 years. This one was put on by NASA at Sonoma Raceway.

My goals in HPDE are, firstly, to have enormous amounts of fun; secondly, to learn how to safely and reliably drive the car at its limits; thirdly, to learn how to reliably recover the car when its limits are exceeded; and fourthly, to do all of the above without putting so much as a scratch on the car (save, of course, for the usual track-based wear and tear).

It was tremendous fun. But it was also frustrating. I'll get to the bit about frustration in a minute.

The instructors were excellent, but the sorts of problems I was having demanded a bit more attention to my specific needs. I think some progress was made on that front, and I'm hoping it continues. More on that, too, in a moment.

Excellent! It sounds like you had a great time, which when it all boils down, is the reason that any of us do this in the first place!

First, the fun stuff. I started off slow (quite slow, actually), and took my time ramping up. The first session of each day is a "slow lap" session in which everyone drives the line at about 45 MPH behind a pace car under a full course yellow condition without helmets. The other three sessions in each day were standard full-speed sessions. Group 1 (my group) had instructors in every car. Group 2 didn't except upon request (or, I suppose, when some remedial instruction was deemed necessary). It didn't take me long to learn the line as such. But despite that, it wasn't until the very last session of the weekend that I was going even moderately fast. That last session was the only one during which I passed anyone (and even then, I only passed one car).
Well done! The key going forward is to build on what you accomplished session-by-session, as well as event-by-event.

The car performed admirably. Despite the fact that I was going slow (as evidenced by the fact that I got passed by literally everyone in the first 3 fast sessions), I was definitely working the car through the corners, as evidenced by the fact that the tread block edges have a melted look, and further confirmed by the track apps G meter, which shows a maximum of 0.9G to the right and 1.02G to the left (the latter probably due to the left hand sweeper which is turn 6). It was mainly in the straights that I was slower, because I wanted to approach the limits of the car very slowly, and my braking was very conservative and early, enough so that I never tripped the ABS.
That sounds like a sane approach to me; there's nothing more frustrating that watching somebody blast away like a rocketship, then drop down to a crawl to tip-toe through the corners, then kick in the warp engines again on the straight. Impossible to teach cornering technique with that type of situation. If you were rolling into the throttle slowly, then next outing, get a little more aggressive with it on exit. If you were taking a full second to go from "touch" to "press" on the brakes (as you indicated below), then next time out work on cutting that time down. It sounds like you were hitting the corners pretty well, though.

My car has 285/35-19 Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position tires that are brand new, on Forgestar F14 wheels that I got from Vorshlag (who were awesome in their support! The spacers I needed for the front are excellent, and required no re-torquing anytime during or after the event). These tires have a treadwear rating of 280, but apparently there's only a loose relationship between treadwear rating and grip limit. 1.02G is probably somewhat close to the limits of these tires, but I won't be surprised if there's more for them to give, particularly at that size. Treadwear in the front appears to be even, which surprised me since I'm on the stock suspension and the stock alignment. It'll be interesting to see if that remains the case as I get faster.
It won't.:beer: The more time you spend loaded up in a corner and/or the higher the load, the more you'll start punishing the outside edges of the tires, at least with stock suspension and angles. Once you start tearing up the tires, it'll be time to add spring rate and/or negative camber.

This car is really easy to put where you want it. That kind of precision surprised me greatly, especially considering the size and weight of the car. I got that impression when I drove it on one of the somewhat twisty highways around here almost immediately after I bought it, but the track is where such things are made completely apparent. There was what seemed to be a decent amount of body roll at high lateral loads, enough that I'd prefer less, but it wasn't excessive. The car was completely controllable while under load like that. It was a pure joy to drive through the corners. The Recaro seats were absolutely fantastic and held me in really well. I also made use of a CG Lock for my seatbelt, and I suspect that helped the seat do its job better than it might have otherwise.
That's one thing that always kind of annoys me; the perception that the stock suspension is just undrivable. That's just patently untrue. Can it be improved? Oh, absolutely! But, compared to a FOX or SN95 platform, the S197 is light-years more advanced, even with all the "issues" like crappy dampers and pencil-eraser soft bushings. At entry level, you just don't need to change a thing. Drive what you've got, and once you can consistently say that "X" is holding you back, then change "X."

On the last session of the weekend, I decided to push it a bit, at least on the straights. Despite the fact that I've (naturally) done a lot of full throttle runs on the street, the speed you can build up with this thing on the track took me somewhat by surprise. You can really get yourself in trouble fast with this thing if you don't know what you're doing, enough that the speed I built up was even a little too much for turn 2 -- I had to slow it down for that. I took that as confirmation that my overall approach to driving the track is exactly the right one for the goals I have.

And so, the end result is that it was incredibly awesome fun. Based on my highly limited experience, it seems to me that people who belittle the stock suspension are giving it too little credit. It's good. Very, very good indeed. About the only thing I noticed is that the body does seem to roll a bit in the corners, but frankly, a lot of that might be me leaning in the seat to counteract the G forces.
All good! Next time out, try to START at 75-80% of your last session, and then build from there! And yes, the body does roll quite a bit.

But sadly, all is not bliss, and it has nothing to do with the car. It has to do with me. The problem is that I literally can concentrate on only one thing at a time, and when I do so, it is to the exclusion of all else. This means that when I'm concentrating on driving the line, as I was, I am unable to see the corner workers, even when they're waving flags. The only things I'm able to see are the apexes that I'm trying to hit. The faster I went, the further ahead I had to look, but the less precise I got, too. Going more slowly meant I could hit the apexes within a couple of feet or so of the target. Going more quickly caused me to be unable to hit the apexes quite as precisely.

--------BIG SNIP!!!-------

My instructor on the 2nd day was awesome. I think he really gets what's going on and what I'm going to need in order to improve. The bottom line is that driving the line is going to have to become so familiar that it (somehow) no longer takes as many cycles as it does, so that I can divert my attention from it periodically in order to spot the corner workers and spot traffic. The sheer amount of bandwidth required, however, is enough that I don't expect to ever get any good at this compared to other people. But only time will tell.
Let me cogitate on this a bit... More in another post, focusing strictly on the above.

And so, it was an exhilarating exercise in frustration!
icon10.gif

But it's one that I want to repeat again and again. I'll stick with HPDE group 1 for as long as it takes to get this figured out. It may be that I never figure it out. That wouldn't surprise me. But as long as I'm having fun blasting around the track, I'm going to keep at it.
Awesome attitude, and a great plan. I have students that have "topped out" in HPDE-2, because that's where they feel the most comfortable. It's all about your goals, and how you get to them.

Oh, another thing: I love my car!! This thing is just awesome. I'm highly impressed with the stock suspension, but there are things I want to improve. I expect I'll be going with Ground Control coilovers, with 250 lbs/in in the front and 350 lbs/in in the rear (to keep the "flat ride" characteristics, and to keep the relative front to rear wheel rate characteristics), and otherwise keep the car the same (same sway bars, control arms, etc.), and lowering it by a mere 1/2 inch in both the front and the rear to keep the rear geometry essentially the same (no need to worry about pinion angle then) as well as meet my needs for ride quality and ground clearance (it is, after all, very much a daily driver). At most, I'll need an adjustable panhard bar on top of that. That should take care of the body roll as well as much of whatever brake dive I happen to notice. My braking style is such that I may never really notice the kind of brake dive that these cars are known for -- it takes me about a second to go from initial application of the brakes to whatever my maximum braking happens to be at the time. I'm that slow.

But I'm not doing squat until I've got several more sessions under my belt and I've finally gotten to the point where I can really test the limits of the car. Speaking of which...

Again, good plan!

As I mentioned, one of my goals is to learn how to reliably recover the car in the event I go past its limits. I've discussed that with a number of instructors, and the conclusion is that there's no good way to do that. Going past the limits means, in the context of driving on the track, going off the track in the event you don't recover properly. How in the world can you learn how to properly recover the car in those conditions if you can't afford to screw up the recovery? The answer is that you can't. And so, I'm frustrated about this as well. How can I possibly learn how to recover the car when I inevitably go past its limits unless I can somehow take it past those limits in a safe fashion? It's obviously not possible in an HPDE.
Yes, and no. Trying to get the car loose and drive it slideways is absolutely contrary to the purpose of HPDE, and will get your knuckles whacked in a hurry. However, there are degrees to look at. The first time you get a little greedy with the throttle on exit will demonstrate oversteer, and as long as you're not mashing the gas like a light-switch, that little twitch in the back is 100% recoverable. A small lift and/or a snap-counter-steer, and you're back in the game, having learned A) what it feels like when the back starts to come around, B) how to successfully correct for that issue, and C) the car does not automatically burst into flames at the first hint of something not 100% in control.

If you REALLY want to learn car-control skills, and I strongly advise that you do, find a nice, big, empty parking lot when it rains, and drive figure-8 laps pushing into and out of understeer, oversteer, spins, etc. With nothing to hit around you, you can experiment with different techniques for recovery. If the rear starts to wash out, for example, try a throttle lift and see what happens. THEN try adding more throttle and see what happens. Then try snap-correction and see how that affects your placement... Once you get comfortable with having the car "out of control," and knowing what corrections to apply for a given situation, then take the car back on the track. The only thing that will have changed will be the grip capability of the tires. The balance and techniques will not have changed. Also, don't be afraid of going on track in the rain, either!

And if I can't learn how to reliably recover the car when going past its limits, it follows that I can't exceed its limits without incurring a lot of danger. And if I can't do that, then it follows that I can't learn to drive it at its limits, because doing so incurs the real danger of going past its limits. Therefore, it logically follows that I cannot accomplish any of my goals by driving in HPDEs except one: having fun! Fortunately, that's the most important goal I have (save for safety), so I don't view this as a showstopper. But it does have me looking for options, and if you guys have any suggestions, I'd like to hear them.
Aside from the skidpad, there's still a matter of degree... if you can carve a corner at 99%, hitting 104% will not automatically result in an "off" or a "spin." You'll start to feel the natural under- or over-steer tendencies as the car either pushes wide or starts to rotate. Correct for it, and the worst that happened would be a slower corner exit. It's the guys that have no sense of consistency or scale that go from 99% to 142% that suddenly loop the car. I had one student that had done some CrapCan racing in a 90HP FWD econobox, and tried to do the same throttle routine on a 5.0 S197. After the second "off" with me screaming "EASY!!!" we had to have a "come-to-Jesus" speech in the pits...

Bottom line is that with the stock suspension and street tires, the break-away characteristics of the S197 are gentle, predictable, and eminently recoverable. If you "feel" for the edge of the envelope, you'll be fine. If you try to ram it in at warp speed, maybe not so much...

I can't wait for the next event! I'm definitely signing up for the Sonoma Raceway event in June.
Awesome!

2013MustangGT

Budget Boss
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great time. Don't worry about going fast. Learn how to drive the car and speed will come. It is really important to take a second to look at the corner workers because they are your only communication when your out on the track. I am sure your instructors had you wave to the corner workers on your first time out. Try and remember where they're at so you can look at them quickly. Make it part of your programming. Good luck and keep having fun.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good time! On the line/corner worker decision- eventually you'll get to a point where you don't even think about line, and you'll be free to do everything else (look at corner workers, mirrors, traffic, shift, brake, etc.) and the car will just go where it needs to. At least, that was my experience.

Want to learn car control driving 11/10ths in a safe/controlled environment?? Go dodge some cones!!! Autocross is where it's at. It will also help with your line remembering skills.

350lb rear springs sounds like a lot. Any reason why you're ditching the "conventional" wisdom and going for a bigger rear than front? More spring in the front would help with your roll/camber/tire wear problems too.

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score

Great! Looks like your goals and mine are about the same. The first goal is probably the easiest; you have to try to fail at that one.

Sounds like we have similarly-specced cars here. I'm running the exact same tires, and saw about the same wear. I know I was not pushing really hard, so expect wear patterns to change. Those are great tires, though, aren't they?

I was also impressed by how well the S197 chassis works on the track, even with the soft stock suspension. For a big, heavy muscle car it handles darn well. There is a ton of body roll, but that didn't seem to hurt it at the level we are driving right now. Those Recaro seats are definitely money well spent, I think almost as good as the Brembo brake package. They really come into their own at a HPDE.

:D Yep, that Coyote powerplant is about as much fun as a barrel of monkeys. The power is addicting & it sure is fun to be able to walk away from almost everyone down the straights.

I don't have a lot of good help here, but I suspect as you learn the line & it becomes second nature, you will be able to spend more time slices looking at the corner workers. Perhaps spend a little extra time in the early slow sessions to take note of the flagging stations & memorizing them. I know I am not looking at flaggers while trying to hit the apex right now, but I am trying to remember to look at them early in the braking zone since they are usually found at the corners.

Good plan.

For learning the absolute limits of the car & how to recover when you have exceeded them, I also highly recommend entering some autocrosses. All you have to worry about hitting there is some traffic cones. It's a great venue for this; I specifically waited to track my car until I felt comfortable pitching the back end around an autocross course. Because of that the little tail wiggles I got under braking and on track out in a few corners were not a big deal.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Oh...one more thing about attention splitting- if you get a good racing seat and a harness, you no longer have to concentrate on holding yourself in place, and that frees up A TON of time for other activities.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great time. Don't worry about going fast. Learn how to drive the car and speed will come. It is really important to take a second to look at the corner workers because they are your only communication when your out on the track. I am sure your instructors had you wave to the corner workers on your first time out.

Nope, they didn't. They had me driving the line.

Try and remember where they're at so you can look at them quickly. Make it part of your programming. Good luck and keep having fun.

Well, in order to remember where they are, I have to first identify where they are, which means I have to repeatedly look for them (because identifying them just once or twice isn't going to work -- my memory's not good enough for that), and when I'm doing that, I'm not driving the line.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good time! On the line/corner worker decision- eventually you'll get to a point where you don't even think about line, and you'll be free to do everything else (look at corner workers, mirrors, traffic, shift, brake, etc.) and the car will just go where it needs to. At least, that was my experience.

Want to learn car control driving 11/10ths in a safe/controlled environment?? Go dodge some cones!!! Autocross is where it's at. It will also help with your line remembering skills.

Interesting. I might have to try that. The problem is that it takes me a few laps around the track to start to get the line, and that's with a road course where the next corner is (unless it's hidden behind a hill) visible and obvious.

If that's the case, how in the world am I supposed to learn the layout of an autocross course? I can't learn it ahead of time by looking at a map (that just doesn't work for me for a road course, so why should I expect it to be any different for autocross), so it means I have to learn it by driving it. But I can't learn it by driving it in the same way I learn a road course because the actual flow through the course isn't obvious by inspection (based on videos I've seen).

350lb rear springs sounds like a lot. Any reason why you're ditching the "conventional" wisdom and going for a bigger rear than front? More spring in the front would help with your roll/camber/tire wear problems too.
I'd select 350 lbs in the rear in order to maintain the "flat ride" characteristics of the car, while getting roughly the same front versus rear wheel rate relationship as you get with the Boss 302 Laguna Seca. That's what I'd start with. I figure the difference in rear bar rate between the Laguna Seca and the GT would make up for at least some of the difference between the staggered setup on the Laguna Seca and the square setup of the GT. Changing the rear springs would be relatively easy if I decided I needed a different rate.

I'd already be at 250 lbs/in in the front as well, so it's already nearly twice what the stock spring rate in front is (thus, half the dive in front). From videos, it appears that in braking, most of the "dive" is actually the rear end lifting, so having substantially stiffer springs in the rear should help a lot with that as well.

Last edited:

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Oh...one more thing about attention splitting- if you get a good racing seat and a harness, you no longer have to concentrate on holding yourself in place, and that frees up A TON of time for other activities.

The Recaros (in conjunction with the CG Lock) were perfect for this. At no time did I feel I had to expend any effort to hold myself in.

It's a great setup Ford has here.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
With autocross, you walk the course multiple times before you run, and that's how you learn it. If you can...do the same with the road course. That's not quite as easy to accomplish though.

2013MustangGT

Budget Boss
Reaction score
Nope, they didn't. They had me driving the line.

Well, in order to remember where they are, I have to first identify where they are, which means I have to repeatedly look for them (because identifying them just once or twice isn't going to work -- my memory's not good enough for that), and when I'm doing that, I'm not driving the line.

I would say screw the line then, because if you don't know what's up around the corner because you didn't see what flag the corner worker held up could get you hurt or killed a long with someone else.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
I would say screw the line then, because if you don't know what's up around the corner because you didn't see what flag the corner worker held up could get you hurt or killed a long with someone else.

Well, it'll take multiple track sessions to accomplish that (particularly if I can't drive the line, since that means I can't drive the course at any reasonable speed and, therefore, it'll take a lot longer to make a lap around the track), and I'll have to be focused solely on learning where the corner stations are for those sessions. Seems a bit of a waste of an entire track day, and worse, it'll all but disappear from my memory if I don't use it soon/immediately after learning it. If I have to wait a couple of months before I can attempt to put that to use, then it will all have been for naught, since I'll have forgotten it all. Which is to say, if I spend an entire track day learning where the corner stations are by driving around the track and identifying them, then that'll definitely be useful for the next track day, but not a couple of months later (though the way my memory works is such that the next time, it won't take as long for me to regain familiarity with where the corner workers are). And here's the kicker: it's useful only if I've already got the line down.

That's the problem: I can only concentrate on one thing at a time. If I don't have the line down, then I'll be spending all my conscious effort driving the line to the exclusion of all else no matter whether or not I already know where the corner workers are. I simply cannot pay any attention to the corner workers if I'm spending all of my conscious resources on driving the line, as I must until I really learn it.

It has to be one or the other. It can't be both, until I know the line well enough that I can spare some conscious cycles for other things.

There's a big assumption in the above, too, and that is that learning the line will free the conscious resources previously needed to drive it, and make them available for other things. If that's not true, then I will never be able to drive a road course safely without an instructor to act as a safety lookout.

Last edited:

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
^ This. Also, with road courses you can ride a bicycle to learn the track.

That is a very interesting idea. I'd have to do that after the last session of the day, but it's still an interesting idea.

Sonoma's a 2.5 mile track, so at 10 MPH roughly, it'd take me about an hour to do 4 circuits.

Lessee...it took perhaps 3 sessions to learn the track. Each session got me around the course about 8 times or so, so it took about 24 circuits around the track for me to get to the point where I could reliably anticipate what was coming next.

That's 6 hours of riding the bicycle around the track...

Let's just say I'll be in really good shape if I take that approach!
icon10.gif

Going slower might result in things having more time to "stick", so that might reduce the number of circuits required. But I'd still get in good shape!

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Doing the bike thing also lets you get "up close and personal" with the track surface. It's surprising what you can find.... Small amounts of camber become a lot more apparent, as do irregularities like small dips or rises. Also, it's nice to be able to stop, study, go back, etc. No black flags for counter-course when the track is cold!

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
The interesting thing about the line is that if I can see two corners and have some idea of what's beyond the second one, then I will have a good idea of what the line is between those two corners, and it becomes a matter of fine tuning at that point. As a result, it didn't take long for me to be able to nail the apexes as long as I knew what was coming up next. For the most part, what's coming up next is visible, so that wasn't much of a problem. It's more of a problem when what's coming up next isn't visible, so the bulk of the time it took me to understand the track involved remembering what corners were behind hills and things like that. My memory keys off of the sequence of corners I've been through, so if you were to put me at a random corner, I wouldn't be able to tell you what was up next without seeing it, at least until I've become intimately familiar with the track.

So for me, the nature of driving the track becomes a matter of learning the tweaks to the line I "compute" based on the corners I can see, combined with learning the placement of corners that lie beyond the bounds of visibility.

Also, I'm only able to think one corner ahead, no more than that. I simply haven't the spare cycles for anything more, and that's true even if I'm intimately familiar with the track. I know this from my experience with Gran Turismo. If I haven't the cycles to spare there, I certainly won't have them to spare in the real world.

That actually has me very worried as regards spare cycles for corner workers, something that simply isn't an issue in the game.

Be thankful you don't have to do everything consciously like I do...

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
I apologize if you addressed this before, but why do you have 19s instead of 18s?

It's mainly a daily driver, so I wanted to retain what is to me a pleasing appearance, and 19s look more appropriately sized for the car to my eye.

18s might have been a slightly more practical choice, but 19s don't seem to be bad at all as regards street tire selection.

Remember that I'm in this for fun, not to compete. As such, I've no intention of running on slicks or anything. I'm not looking to compete with Terry Fair.
icon10.gif

Street tires in the width I have seem to give me excellent grip (over 1G! :shock:) and are not horribly expensive (I've seen the S-04 Pole Position tires I have go for as low as $180 each. The current Tire Rack price is $214 each). They are plenty of tire to have all sorts of fun on, cheap to run because the treadwear rating is relatively high (280), and should work well in the wet as well. It's more convenient as well, because I can just drive around on these tires for my daily drive, then drive to the track and drive on these tires while on the track, then drive home on them. Lather, rinse, repeat, until it's time to replace the tires. I only have to carry two wheels/tires as spares to the track, which is the duty to which I'm putting my OEM wheels/tires.

All in all, I just didn't see enough advantage to running 18 inch wheels for my purposes to justify them. It would be a different story if there were a problem with availability of 19 inch street tires, but there doesn't appear to be. I suspect that 19 inch tire availability will simply improve over time, just as it has for 18 inch tires.

Last edited:

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm...another interesting (and hopefully useful!) observation...

Remember how I said that before the track event, the videos and the map of the track didn't do a whole lot for me as far as familiarizing me with the track?

Well, I just watched a couple of videos that were shot at Sonoma. And the track looks a lot more familiar now.

While videos might not be useful to me for initially getting to know the track, I think they may prove invaluable for reviewing the track, or for maintaining my familiarity with it. This is because I now have a real world experience I can relate the videos back to, something I didn't have before.

This is exciting! It means that I can maintain my familiarity with the track so that when I get back onto it, it'll (hopefully) only take me a lap or two to really regain my visceral familiarity with it.

The familiarity I feel when watching those videos might prove useful in another way: I'm going to start looking for the corner workers in those videos, and see if I can integrate them into my overall familiarity with the track. Maybe, in that way, I can "prep" myself for incorporating them into my "scan" of the track when I'm driving it.

Maybe there's hope for me after all.
icon10.gif

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back