First HPDE: Sonoma Raceway

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
I'm registered for that June event, maybe I'll see you there.
Gonna be driving that track for the first time this weekend, at LeMons :) Should be a real shitshow :)

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
I'm registered for that June event, maybe I'll see you there.
Gonna be driving that track for the first time this weekend, at LeMons :) Should be a real shitshow :)

Oh, awesome! I just now signed up myself. Thanks for the reminder. :thumb:

Which run group are you going to be with?

LeMons, huh? Surely your Boss isn't a "lemon"...
icon10.gif

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
But sadly, all is not bliss, and it has nothing to do with the car. It has to do with me. The problem is that I literally can concentrate on only one thing at a time, and when I do so, it is to the exclusion of all else. This means that when I'm concentrating on driving the line, as I was, I am unable to see the corner workers, even when they're waving flags. The only things I'm able to see are the apexes that I'm trying to hit. The faster I went, the further ahead I had to look, but the less precise I got, too. Going more slowly meant I could hit the apexes within a couple of feet or so of the target. Going more quickly caused me to be unable to hit the apexes quite as precisely.
There's a short video that I think you can get to on the 'Hooked On Driving' site where specific mention is made about not keeping your eyes stuck on the apex. "Eyes up".

The time will come when the concept of "the line" won't require conscious thought, at least not for corners you've driven a few times before. And when you botch it a bit you'll know.

I'm also going to guess that most peoples' street driving experience tends to get in the way of leaning a racing line, because most people drive the center of the lane rather than trying to use most or anywhere near all of it. If you aren't accustomed to following an outside-ish / inside-ish / outside-ish line within your lane as the road turns, you'll be spending more mental energy (time slices) trying to do that on the track. Street driving is also not terribly conducive to stringing two or more closely spaced corners together unless you make a concerted effort to mentally connect them. Even so, there's still the matter of getting past the years of learned conservatism - of not using all of the pavement - that you keep in hand because of things like curbs, poles, trees, other traffic, pedestrians, animals, etc.

Perhaps watching actual track videos with a printed track map handy (so you can better relate the video to track location) will help. In fact, spend enough time with the track map first to have some feel for the circuit so you can anticipate what direction it's about to go in as you watch. Better still if your map shows the track as having width and isn't just a single line drawing. You'll see where other people don't always get corners quite right, too.

Norm

Red06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Perhaps watching actual track videos with a printed track map handy (so you can better relate the video to track location) will help. In fact, spend enough time with the track map first to have some feel for the circuit so you can anticipate what direction it's about to go in as you watch. Better still if your map shows the track as having width and isn't just a single line drawing. You'll see where other people don't always get corners quite right, too.

Norm

That's great advice. I still use this method with new tracks or tracks I don't visit very often. I make several copies of the track map. On one mark different line options from videos I watch. At the track, I use another to make terrain notes and mark reference points and another to mark line adjustments that work for me and my setup.

I usually shoot video (iPhone with Harry's lap timer) of several sessions (mid-morning and mid-afternoon) to critique when I get home and for reference when I eventually go back.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
There's a short video that I think you can get to on the 'Hooked On Driving' site where specific mention is made about not keeping your eyes stuck on the apex. "Eyes up".

I can't help it. I have to use continuous adjustments to the steering in order to hit the apex. If I don't have my eyes on the apex, I can't know what adjustments I have to make in order to hit it, and I miss it.

The time will come when the concept of "the line" won't require conscious thought, at least not for corners you've driven a few times before. And when you botch it a bit you'll know.
I hope so, but it hasn't worked out that way for anything else I've ever done. Everything takes some conscious thought for me, including walking. I don't do anything purely automatically except for breathing.

I'm also going to guess that most peoples' street driving experience tends to get in the way of leaning a racing line, because most people drive the center of the lane rather than trying to use most or anywhere near all of it. If you aren't accustomed to following an outside-ish / inside-ish / outside-ish line within your lane as the road turns, you'll be spending more mental energy (time slices) trying to do that on the track. Street driving is also not terribly conducive to stringing two or more closely spaced corners together unless you make a concerted effort to mentally connect them. Even so, there's still the matter of getting past the years of learned conservatism - of not using all of the pavement - that you keep in hand because of things like curbs, poles, trees, other traffic, pedestrians, animals, etc.
That's true, but I don't think that's really my problem here. I didn't have any trouble following the line at all. The problem is that I didn't have any spare cycles to do anything else.

Driving on the street requires a great deal of conscious thought on my part as well. It's why I can't hold a meaningful conversation (one that requires any real thought) while driving. The difference is that on the street, the act of controlling the car doesn't require as many cycles as I have to spare, so I'm able to spare some cycles for traffic awareness and such, and even for some light conversation if there's little going on around me. In heavier traffic with a lot going on around me, it's almost impossible for me to hold a conversation because my conscious cycles are being spent on processing the traffic around me.

I tried that, but it didn't prove helpful at all. At least, not in any way that I could tell. It was only by driving the track that I learned what to expect out of the next corner.

But it does look to me that watching videos is an excellent way to review the track once I've learned it, because I then have some sort of real-world experience to relate what I'm seeing in the video to. The map, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about, because I'm not any good at translating the map to what I can expect visually when on the ground. It certainly didn't help for preparing to drive the track for the first time.

Last edited:

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Oh, awesome! I just now signed up myself. Thanks for the reminder. :thumb:

Which run group are you going to be with?

LeMons, huh? Surely your Boss isn't a "lemon"...
icon10.gif

Nah we have a Crown Vic that we are running in LeMons.

In June I will be running big bore race group. Should be a fun time!

Rabee

Reaction score
Gran Turismo 6 will have something called track creator, which can take a data from your iphone app recorded via GPS and create a course accordingly! It will be fun if we can create all the tracks we go to. I am sure, give or take 1 year, and people will be trading track maps like crazy!
This might help us getting familiar with the tracks.
Very useful thread kcBrown!
Try to post some videos next time you track your car

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Gran Turismo 6 will have something called track creator, which can take a data from your iphone app recorded via GPS and create a course accordingly! It will be fun if we can create all the tracks we go to. I am sure, give or take 1 year, and people will be trading track maps like crazy!
This might help us getting familiar with the tracks.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to that, though I don't know if it's going to be possible to share tracks (was it possible in GT5?).

Very useful thread kcBrown!
Try to post some videos next time you track your car
I've got a couple of videos, but they suck because they were taken before I started to ramp my speed up. Watching them is like watching the grass grow. I'll post them if you guys absolutely insist, but I'll have to figure out how to edit them and pare them down first. This is the first video camera I've ever purchased (never had a need or interest in one until now), so I don't know what's involved. I'm also using a Mac, which may make a difference.

My battery died right as I was about to begin the session where things started to get interesting -- a "follow me" session where my instructor was in the car ahead and I was following him. He ramped the speed up as the session progressed, and it was enormous fun.
icon10.gif

The session after that was the one where I pushed things a little more, and actually passed a car (maybe two, I don't remember -- I could probably have passed more, but I was hesitant to attempt to add passing into the mix of new things I was trying). I was passed by only one car that last session as I recall: a yellow Corvette driven by a particularly aggressive driver (who was called out for that on more than one occasion during the after-session meetings). Prior to that last session, I stayed in a single gear. During the last session, I had to try to integrate shifting into the mix, which I did rather poorly (upshifts were okay, but my downshifts sucked and were badly timed. Like I said, it takes conscious effort for me to do anything).

Last edited:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I can't help it. I have to use continuous adjustments to the steering in order to hit the apex. If I don't have my eyes on the apex, I can't know what adjustments I have to make in order to hit it, and I miss it.

A couple things about the above...

Perhaps, given your particular situation ("time slice" et al) you might focus on a "basket" within which to put the car at apex, rather than trying to hit the "exact, perfect" apex. Or, perhaps a different way of thinking about the line through a corner: forget about the apex! Normally, I wouldn't ever suggest this to a student, but given your situation, we may need to re-think how to approach getting you where you need to be. Instead of thinking in a linear form of braking point-->turn-in-->apex-->track-out, perhaps you should skip the apex point, and just focus on getting from turn-in to track out smoothly. Yes, this will tend to pull you away from a late-apex line and into a more geometric approach, but at this stage, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I think what makes me wonder about this approach was your comment about needing "continuous adjustments to the steering in order to hit the apex." This is either from an improper turn-in point or input, OR this is how you are mentally processing the change from the tight-radius at turn-in through an increasing-radius from apex to track-out and finally getting to a straight wheel at the exit of the corner. Ideally, the final output would be a single wheel motion at turn-in to set the tighter radius portion of the corner, followed by a gradual release of steering angle after apex, leading to zero input at the final track-out point. The "continuous adjustments" lead me to think you're over-analyzing or putting too much weight in hitting a specific mark.

IF you were to take a more "holistic" approach, where you set your turn-in and track-out points, and treat the true apex as only another point on that line, with no more "weight" than any other, perhaps that might let you get your eyes up out of the car, since you're looking at exit now (where you should be anyway!) rather than an intermediate point (apex) in the corner. Yes, you still want to HIT the true apex, however that simply becomes a function of consistency in hitting your turn-in point and steering technique.

Also, another place to start changing mind-set or world-view, or whatever, is to start focusing on throttle-steering rather than using the wheel for minor corrections. If you're pushing wide of your desired point (apex or track-out), a slight reduction in throttle pressure will pull the car towards the inside of the corner without any change in wheel input. If you're a bit tight, a little more throttle will push the car towards the outside of the corner, on the other end of the spectrum.

Once you get to the point where things are a little more automatic and you're no longer concentrating quite as hard on hitting your marks, you could then start working your existing line later and later, allowing you to get on the gas harder and sooner than you would with a more geometric line. The main thing, though, it to get you to the point where you're eyes are up and out of the car, and you're more aware of what's happening around you. This WILL take time, and WILL NOT happen in an "aha!" moment. It's purely a function of experience and comfort in the environment.

When you approach a corner, or start your turn-in, are you able to sort of visualize the arc you're taking (or want to take)? If you can do that, once you can see/feel that the car is on that arc, you can then look ahead knowing that you're going to hit apex as long as you don't change anything.

Rabee

Reaction score
Great info Dave, on the dime describing the thought process at the track. I relate to what you say a lot.

Regarding GT6 course maker sharing capabilities, I read a couple articles stating that you can share the courses with other users. Yet to see if that is true.
With GT5, you can not, the course maker (generator is a better word) in GT5 was terrible anyway.

I love threads talking about how to drive our mustangs fast AROUND THE CORNERS, we need more posts like this!
I am tired of threads talking about exhaust sound, lower ride better look kind of thinking, adding blower to an already powerhouse machine...etc
But very little threads about how to drive this 3663 Ib mass around the corners.
Good job KcBrown

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score

Perhaps, given your particular situation ("time slice" et al) you might focus on a "basket" within which to put the car at apex, rather than trying to hit the "exact, perfect" apex. Or, perhaps a different way of thinking about the line through a corner: forget about the apex! Normally, I wouldn't ever suggest this to a student, but given your situation, we may need to re-think how to approach getting you where you need to be. Instead of thinking in a linear form of braking point-->turn-in-->apex-->track-out, perhaps you should skip the apex point, and just focus on getting from turn-in to track out smoothly. Yes, this will tend to pull you away from a late-apex line and into a more geometric approach, but at this stage, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Hmm...that's going to be challenging. What you're talking about here is putting my eyes on the exit while somehow steering the car in a nonlinear fashion in order to get it there.

I'm not sure I can do that.

I think what makes me wonder about this approach was your comment about needing "continuous adjustments to the steering in order to hit the apex." This is either from an improper turn-in point or input, OR this is how you are mentally processing the change from the tight-radius at turn-in through an increasing-radius from apex to track-out and finally getting to a straight wheel at the exit of the corner.
It's how I process things while driving. Driving for me is a continuous process of looking where I want the car to go and steering the car in order to get it there. If what's involved is anything other than a straight line, then I have to watch the entire process and make the car follow the desired path in question through steering changes. For those parts of the line that involve straight lines, I can spare cycles to do other things. For those parts that don't, I have no cycles to spare. I must watch what I'm doing, because the steering, brakes, accelerator, etc., don't do anything except at my conscious command.

Now, if the arc I'm taking doesn't require any input changes, then I can spare some cycles. That may wind up helping with this.

Ideally, the final output would be a single wheel motion at turn-in to set the tighter radius portion of the corner, followed by a gradual release of steering angle after apex, leading to zero input at the final track-out point. The "continuous adjustments" lead me to think you're over-analyzing or putting too much weight in hitting a specific mark.
I have no idea. But since I have to use the same process in normal driving, I suspect that the only difference here is the speed at which things happen and the greater precision demanded by driving on the track.

IF you were to take a more "holistic" approach, where you set your turn-in and track-out points, and treat the true apex as only another point on that line, with no more "weight" than any other, perhaps that might let you get your eyes up out of the car, since you're looking at exit now (where you should be anyway!) rather than an intermediate point (apex) in the corner. Yes, you still want to HIT the true apex, however that simply becomes a function of consistency in hitting your turn-in point and steering technique.
Maybe. But I've never driven that way before.

I'll try it out on the "driving simulator" (a.k.a. driving game) and see what comes of it. It's going to be hard to break what amounts to 35 years of driving. The method I use for driving is not an arbitrary thing here -- it's consistent with how I do everything else. I do things this way because I can't do them any other way. I simply don't seem to have the necessary "subconscious" brainpower required.

Let me give you an example of how I "work" that might shed some light here. I was taking a self-defense class one day, and was commenting to the instructor about how slowly I react. To test my reaction, the instructor made a move as if he were going to kick my balls (he didn't announce his intentions or anything -- the idea in hindsight was to test my reaction). I didn't react -- at all. That's the first time he'd ever seen anyone not react at all in that way. The reason I didn't react is that I haven't been trained to react, and didn't have any conscious indicators that said I should have reacted.

I'm not kidding when I say I do everything consciously.

Also, another place to start changing mind-set or world-view, or whatever, is to start focusing on throttle-steering rather than using the wheel for minor corrections. If you're pushing wide of your desired point (apex or track-out), a slight reduction in throttle pressure will pull the car towards the inside of the corner without any change in wheel input. If you're a bit tight, a little more throttle will push the car towards the outside of the corner, on the other end of the spectrum.
Will it work this way even when you're well below the limits of the car?

Once you get to the point where things are a little more automatic and you're no longer concentrating quite as hard on hitting your marks, you could then start working your existing line later and later, allowing you to get on the gas harder and sooner than you would with a more geometric line. The main thing, though, it to get you to the point where you're eyes are up and out of the car, and you're more aware of what's happening around you. This WILL take time, and WILL NOT happen in an "aha!" moment. It's purely a function of experience and comfort in the environment.
It sounds like it's going to take an enormous amount of time. As in, on the order of 100 sessions on the track or so.

I'm game, but I'd rather first try something that doesn't require undoing 35 years of driving experience to accomplish.

But if I can try these things in the "driving simulator", then that'll relieve a lot of the "burden". I can get a lot of laps there.
icon10.gif

When you approach a corner, or start your turn-in, are you able to sort of visualize the arc you're taking (or want to take)?
To a reasonable degree, yes, but I don't know that I can do so with anything like the necessary precision required for this.

I do seem to have a "sense" of what the line is. I think that's why I picked it up as quickly as I did. While I control everything through conscious thought, there's probably some "background processing" going on that we might be able to use for this...

If you can do that, once you can see/feel that the car is on that arc, you can then look ahead knowing that you're going to hit apex as long as you don't change anything.
That's an interesting idea. I'll have to try it.

In normal driving, if your actual curve differs a bit from what it should be, it's no big deal. But on the track, it makes the difference between whether you make the next corner or go off the track. Of course, that's after you get advanced enough to be pushing the car that hard, so it looks to me to be a question of making sure I keep my speeds down enough that I always have sufficient headroom to err in that fashion.

Last edited:

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
Mr. Brown, you've had some very good advice from the generous and patient experts on this forum. I would be far less of either, and ask if you have considered, for your own safety and that of others, that your various problems render you an inappropriate candidate for high-speed track driving?

If, during your experience at Sonoma, you did not endanger yourself or anyone else, perhaps your "problems" are not really problems, and you're just irritating yourself for no good reason. At some point you have to decide to trust your capabilities; sooner is better.

"In this universe there are things
that just don't yield to thinking
—plain or fancy— Dude".
—J. Spicoli, PolyPartyPerson

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Mr. Brown, you've had some very good advice from the generous and patient experts on this forum. I would be far less of either, and ask if you have considered, for your own safety and that of others, that your various problems render you an inappropriate candidate for high-speed track driving?

I have considered that possibility.

I'm not nearly ready to throw in the towel yet. This is just the beginning. I'm going to exhaust all options before conceding defeat on something that I found so enjoyable as this.

If, during your experience at Sonoma, you did not endanger yourself or anyone else, perhaps your "problems" are not really problems, and you're just irritating yourself for no good reason. At some point you have to decide to trust your capabilities; sooner is better.
Well, remember that I had an instructor with me at all times, save for the "follow me" session. That "follow me" session was useful in exposing me to the track without a crutch, and I'll admit I did better than I expected. I even managed to spare some cycles to look at the corner workers some of the time. I did my best.

At this point, the evidence suggests that it may well simply be a matter of getting the line down to the point where it's at least somewhat automatic, so that I know what's coming up next and how to tackle it. There really isn't anything in normal driving that compares with this. Normal driving doesn't involve driving exactly the same place in exactly the same way time after time. This does. That is both better for me, in that it raises the possibility of learning a major part of what's involved by rote to the point of being a near-automatic reaction (as much as any such thing can be for me), and worse, in that it requires a lot more concentration initially.

Regardless, you may be right. I may simply be overanalyzing things. Only time and experience will reveal the truth! All I know is that the issue I raised here and at the drivers' meetings, with regards to not being able to see the corner workers because I was concentrating so heavily on driving the line, is a concern that nobody else raised. That, combined with the fact that NASA went out of its way to find an instructor to suit my needs, suggests that said concern is unique to me.

Regardless, in the interim between now and the next track event, I'm interested in any and all suggestions of what I can do to improve my learning trajectory.

ETA: And regardless, worst case is that I have to drive the track with someone, likely an instructor, in the right seat who can keep their eyes peeled for the things I can't.

Last edited:

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
I'll try it out on the "driving simulator" (a.k.a. driving game) and see what comes of it. It's going to be hard to break what amounts to 35 years of driving. The method I use for driving is not an arbitrary thing here -- it's consistent with how I do everything else. I do things this way because I can't do them any other way. I simply don't seem to have the necessary "subconscious" brainpower required.

When I attempt this in the "driving simulator", it "works" some of the time, but I wind up going off track (often on the inside of a corner) a reasonable amount of the time precisely because I'm not devoting my attention to steering the line. And this is on a course (Laguna Seca) that I've "driven" so much that I'm essentially intimately familiar with it.

I'll keep at it. That I sometimes seem to get reasonable results from it suggests that it's more a matter of doing it enough to build consistency than anything else.

There is one slight problem: in adopting this approach, I seem to be more prone to miss my braking points. That is a real problem if it manifests in the real world.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave

Hmm...that's going to be challenging. What you're talking about here is putting my eyes on the exit while somehow steering the car in a nonlinear fashion in order to get it there.

I'm not sure I can do that.
Annndddd that's exactly why I suggested taking more of a geometric approach to cornering. In a way, it's extremely linear, in that you have one wheel input at turn in, hold that input through the vast majority of the corner, and then have a single wheel motion to get straight at exit. This is the exact cornering style that you would use with lower-horsepower cars like a Miata or 944, and is not the recommended line for a higher-horsepower car like a Mustang, however the choice of approach isn't dictated by safety, it's dictated by performance potential. In your specific case, you may profit (advance in comfort and skill level) by sacrificing corner-exit velocity for a higher, more constant mid-corner velocity, as there is no impetus to perform any wheel or throttle movement.

Quote:
I think what makes me wonder about this approach was your comment about needing "continuous adjustments to the steering in order to hit the apex." This is either from an improper turn-in point or input, OR this is how you are mentally processing the change from the tight-radius at turn-in through an increasing-radius from apex to track-out and finally getting to a straight wheel at the exit of the corner.
It's how I process things while driving. Driving for me is a continuous process of looking where I want the car to go and steering the car in order to get it there. If what's involved is anything other than a straight line, then I have to watch the entire process and make the car follow the desired path in question through steering changes. For those parts of the line that involve straight lines, I can spare cycles to do other things. For those parts that don't, I have no cycles to spare. I must watch what I'm doing, because the steering, brakes, accelerator, etc., don't do anything except at my conscious command.

Now, if the arc I'm taking doesn't require any input changes, then I can spare some cycles. That may wind up helping with this.
Exactly. I think it may well be worth a shot.

Quote:
Ideally, the final output would be a single wheel motion at turn-in to set the tighter radius portion of the corner, followed by a gradual release of steering angle after apex, leading to zero input at the final track-out point. The "continuous adjustments" lead me to think you're over-analyzing or putting too much weight in hitting a specific mark.
I have no idea. But since I have to use the same process in normal driving, I suspect that the only difference here is the speed at which things happen and the greater precision demanded by driving on the track.
You're quite right. Outside of the concept of "the line," which is actually an arc (be it of constant or compound radii), and also a concept which you seem to have readily grasped. It's honestly not any different than street driving in that respect. Ignore the shape of the asphalt, and imagine you're on a highway with lane markers. Superimpose that 10' wide "lane" across the corner in approved race fashion (outside-inside-outside) and just drive in your lane. Accuracy will come as a function of experience. When you first started driving on the highway, I bet you though it was tough to be able to stay in your lane at 55mph. Now, not so much. You're ahead of the car, driving it, instead of letting it drive you. Cornering speeds can be considerably higher (relative to the corner radius) but the concept remains. With experience, you will again be ahead of the car, rather than reacting to it.

Quote:
Maybe. But I've never driven that way before.

Understood. I'm not challenging that assertion in any way, I'm trying to find an approach that will "click" with your thought processes. When taking a bend on the highway, where do you look? Same approach on track. You look where you want the car to go. The above description is of a constant radius arc between turn-in and track-out that just happens to get pretty near to the geometric apex point of the corner. If you hit your points consistently, it all comes down to how consistent you can be at inputting your steering angle. If you get a little lazy on one lap, you'll be wide of apex. If you get a little "happy," then you'll hit the apex berm. Of course, since it's a constant arc, you can also see the car drifting away from the desired exit point (that you are presumably looking at) and that will allow you to correct all the way through the corner, either with the wheel (gross error) or with the gas pedal (fine error)

Let me give you an example of how I "work" that might shed some light here. I was taking a self-defense class one day, and was commenting to the instructor about how slowly I react. To test my reaction, the instructor made a move as if he were going to kick my balls (he didn't announce his intentions or anything -- the idea in hindsight was to test my reaction). I didn't react -- at all. That's the first time he'd ever seen anyone not react at all in that way. The reason I didn't react is that I haven't been trained to react, and didn't have any conscious indicators that said I should have reacted.

I'm not kidding when I say I do everything consciously.
All that means to me is that you need programming to execute the tasks required on-track. No "bad habits" to undo, but also no "good habits" to build from. A challenge, certainly, but I'm not quite ready to give up on you and declare that "OSB." (Other Sports Beckon) The primary reason for that is because so far, you have indicated no tendency towards dangerous behaviour on track, and because neither of the two NASA instructors (presumably) parked you or gave you stern lectures. That tells me that you are at least fundamentally "safe," and pose no serious risk to yourself or others. I have had students that I had to park. It's no fun going to the Chief Instructor and telling him "Sorry, but this guy is going to kill me, himself, and probably somebody else." I have a pretty high threshold of terror on track, so for me to make that type of statement is pretty unusual. As long as you're not "that guy," or trying to pick up pace before you're ready (run before you can walk), then at least based on your attitude and behaviour here, I think that you still have a good opportunity to have fun with this.

Quote:
Will it work this way even when you're well below the limits of the car?
Absolutely. If you want, you can break it down into terms of force vectors. In a constant radius turn, under maintenance throttle, you will go around in a circle. At that point, the scrub/friction of the tires is exactly balanced by throttle input, yielding a net cancellation, leaving only the arc induced by the front wheel steering angle. If, however, you were to add power (effectively accelerating the car), you have created a force vector that is tangent to that circle, effectively widening the radius, or "pushing you outside." On the other hand, if you were to reduce throttle in that same constant-radius corner, the tire scrub would overcome the balance of the power, lending more authority to the turned front wheels, and the inward force vector defined by the front wheels would cause the car to spiral inward, "pulling you inside." It's the same deal with orbital mechanics. Fire retro-rockets and you drop to a lower orbit. Fire main rockets and you climb to a higher orbit.

So, yes, it does work at any speed. Granted, the higher the G-load (higher velocity in a given radius corner) the more pronounced the effect, but even at normal parking-lot speeds, it does work.

Quote:
It sounds like it's going to take an enormous amount of time. As in, on the order of 100 sessions on the track or so.

I'm game, but I'd rather first try something that doesn't require undoing 35 years of driving experience to accomplish.

But if I can try these things in the "driving simulator", then that'll relieve a lot of the "burden". I can get a lot of laps there.
icon10.gif
It may take 100 track sessions (that's really only 12 weekends, and I do that easily in a single season), but I would bet it will come faster. Again, what I'm suggesting is wholly consistent with street driving, just applied in an unorthodox manner. I'm not trying to suggest that this is a sure-fire idea, but it's about the best I can come up with from a perspective of 3000 miles of separation. I think what might be your best approach would be to contact the Chief Instructor and see if you can get a consistent instructor to work with, who is both sympathetic to your needs, and has some understanding of your mental processes. Another option would be to hire a true pro driving coach, if you can't or don't want to rely on a particular NASA instructors availability.

Quote:
When you approach a corner, or start your turn-in, are you able to sort of visualize the arc you're taking (or want to take)?
To a reasonable degree, yes, but I don't know that I can do so with anything like the necessary precision required for this.

I do seem to have a "sense" of what the line is. I think that's why I picked it up as quickly as I did. While I control everything through conscious thought, there's probably some "background processing" going on that we might be able to use for this...
That's what I was hoping to hear! This is specifically why I suggested not worrying about the fine degree of accuracy right off the bat, but work within a "basket" of "acceptable." Going back to my 10' wide lane analogy from earlier, that leaves you around 3' of wiggle room within your "lane", nearly a half car-width to play with. If you can get your "superimposed lane" to track through the corner on a geometric line, you shouldn't be so focused on precision until you can develop the mental reserve for "additional cycles" while still being aware of what's going on around you. In essence, I'm suggesting on driving a working (but not optimal) line, while being aware of corner stations, other traffic, etc. Once you DO get comfortable on track (freeing up even more "spare cycles") you can start to apply the reserve brainpower to refining and tidying up your line; starting to shave the "slop" from a 10' lane to a 7' lane, and then eventually from a lane to a late-apex line. To do any of that, though, you need to be comfortable, and that simply comes with time.

Quote:
If you can do that, once you can see/feel that the car is on that arc, you can then look ahead knowing that you're going to hit apex as long as you don't change anything.
That's an interesting idea. I'll have to try it.

In normal driving, if your actual curve differs a bit from what it should be, it's no big deal. But on the track, it makes the difference between whether you make the next corner or go off the track. Of course, that's after you get advanced enough to be pushing the car that hard, so it looks to me to be a question of making sure I keep my speeds down enough that I always have sufficient headroom to err in that fashion.
Exactly. Speed, with ANYBODY, comes at the expense of safety margin. With HPDE-1 level students, I try to reign them in if they start to push past 70% or so of their capabilities. Why? Error factor. When a newbie makes a mistake, it's usually VERY large in scope. "Lifting" mid-corner is a good example. At 60-70%, that gets the rear end wiggling and usually sends the student into the locker room for a change of shorts. That obviously demonstrated that they exceeded 100% capability at that moment, indicating a minimum error factor of 30-40%! Now imagine that exact same error and exact same margin, but with the car at 85% instead. Thats when "Boy Meets Wall." Sorry BMW fans... As any driver becomes more experienced, their techniques improve and error factors shrink, allowing them to push harder while still retaining that safety margin. With people like Sam Strano, Terry Fair, Steve Poe, Ed Hunter, et al, they can probably drive at around 90% all day long, because their "error factor" has shrunk from 30-40% to well under 10%.

The flip side, however, is that with the increased pace the more experienced drivers are able to run, when it does go pear-shaped, it goes pear-shaped in a big way. Where a novice might miss apex and wind up on the rumble strips, or even drop a tire or two into the dirt, the same mistake at 90+% will put the car into a tire wall or Aarmco.

If you keep your speeds lower until you have the concepts and execution pretty much down, you CAN do this very safely, since you're retaining a relatively large safety margin. With repetition and refinement, you can also safely start shaving that margin, and as a result, you will go faster. The biggest key is to not get frustrated and impatient. Focus on the long-game, and your eventual goals, whatever they may be. I would strongly suggest NOT focusing on lap times or ratio of passing vs. passed. Focus on safety first, then fun.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
When I attempt this in the "driving simulator", it "works" some of the time, but I wind up going off track (often on the inside of a corner) a reasonable amount of the time precisely because I'm not devoting my attention to steering the line. And this is on a course (Laguna Seca) that I've "driven" so much that I'm essentially intimately familiar with it.

I'll keep at it. That I sometimes seem to get reasonable results from it suggests that it's more a matter of doing it enough to build consistency than anything else.

As you have identified previously, though, the differences between a game and the real deal are legion. In a game, you have no parallax to help you identify line drift, as an example. You stare at (essentially) one pixel, with no visceral feel for vehicle yaw rate, body roll, etc. These are all cues that go into "feeling" the arc around a corner. How do I know when I have reached the "throttle limit" after apex? Trust me, it has NOTHING to do with visual monitoring of my line, and EVERYTHING to do with "feeling" the onset of excess yaw rate. I think in the "real world" you'll have enough peripheral cues to fairly quickly establish a workable arc. Think "slow hands" to start. That will probably put you wide, but that's also easy to correct with a mild reduction in throttle pressure. Obviously, don't jump off the gas pedal, but just sort of breathe out of the gas. If you snap your hands over too quickly, THAT will put you towards the inside of the corner in a hurry!

There is one slight problem: in adopting this approach, I seem to be more prone to miss my braking points. That is a real problem if it manifests in the real world.
I don't see how that would happen... everything we've been talking about happens AFTER the braking zone is over and done with. Are you trying to think too far ahead? Keep it linear.... Brake-->turn-in--(throttle steer as necessary to hit your)-->track out.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Understood. I'm not challenging that assertion in any way, I'm trying to find an approach that will "click" with your thought processes. When taking a bend on the highway, where do you look? Same approach on track.

OK, makes sense.

So maybe, what's going on here is that I'm simply being overwhelmed with the speed of it all, even when driving it "slowly".

When I'm taking a bend on the highway, I do look at the bend, but because such things are usually constant radius, I'm not having to look there all the time. I have "spare cycles" to use on other things.

Sounds like on the track, it's going to be a question of figuring out how to do the same thing.

So that raises some interesting questions, such as: what should I do when the turn is an increasing-radius or decreasing-radius one?
icon10.gif

You look where you want the car to go. The above description is of a constant radius arc between turn-in and track-out that just happens to get pretty near to the geometric apex point of the corner. If you hit your points consistently, it all comes down to how consistent you can be at inputting your steering angle.
I honestly have no idea how consistent I can be at that, but I'm not expecting too much on that front. There's a reason I continuously look at what I'm doing when I'm doing it, and it's not just for fun. It's almost certainly in order to compensate for something, and that something may be consistency.

But I expect this is one of those things that only experience will show one way or the other.

All that means to me is that you need programming to execute the tasks required on-track. No "bad habits" to undo, but also no "good habits" to build from. A challenge, certainly, but I'm not quite ready to give up on you and declare that "OSB." (Other Sports Beckon)
Me neither.
icon10.gif

The primary reason for that is because so far, you have indicated no tendency towards dangerous behaviour on track, and because neither of the two NASA instructors (presumably) parked you or gave you stern lectures.
My "passport" has the following scores:

• Adapting to instruction: 7
  • Driving proper line: 7
  • Smooth inputs: 8
  • Comfort in traffic: 6
  • Session improvement: 10
  • Good attitude: 10
  • Flag recognition: 9
  • Group meeting attendance: 10

I've no idea whether the above is indicative of anything that can be used here, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's meaningful to you in some useful way.

As long as you're not "that guy," or trying to pick up pace before you're ready (run before you can walk), then at least based on your attitude and behaviour here, I think that you still have a good opportunity to have fun with this.
My approach is indeed safety first. I've found through this experience that I can have fun even if I'm driving the course relatively "slowly". Just because I'm going "slow" doesn't mean I can't attack the corners with gusto.
icon10.gif

Absolutely. If you want, you can break it down into terms of force vectors. In a constant radius turn, under maintenance throttle, you will go around in a circle. At that point, the scrub/friction of the tires is exactly balanced by throttle input, yielding a net cancellation, leaving only the arc induced by the front wheel steering angle. If, however, you were to add power (effectively accelerating the car), you have created a force vector that is tangent to that circle, effectively widening the radius, or "pushing you outside."
Makes sense. Good deal.

Although, there is this: whether I'm changing my steering input or my throttle input, I'm still having to make a change, and that means I'm having to exert conscious effort for it. As such, I'm not sure I see much difference between controlling my line through steering and controlling it through the throttle, although I must admit that I like the idea of having both options available simultaneously...

It may take 100 track sessions (that's really only 12 weekends, and I do that easily in a single season), but I would bet it will come faster. Again, what I'm suggesting is wholly consistent with street driving, just applied in an unorthodox manner. I'm not trying to suggest that this is a sure-fire idea, but it's about the best I can come up with from a perspective of 3000 miles of separation. I think what might be your best approach would be to contact the Chief Instructor and see if you can get a consistent instructor to work with, who is both sympathetic to your needs, and has some understanding of your mental processes.
Already done! My last instructor and I worked quite well together, so I've requested him for the next event.

That's what I was hoping to hear! This is specifically why I suggested not worrying about the fine degree of accuracy right off the bat, but work within a "basket" of "acceptable." Going back to my 10' wide lane analogy from earlier, that leaves you around 3' of wiggle room within your "lane", nearly a half car-width to play with. If you can get your "superimposed lane" to track through the corner on a geometric line, you shouldn't be so focused on precision until you can develop the mental reserve for "additional cycles" while still being aware of what's going on around you. In essence, I'm suggesting on driving a working (but not optimal) line, while being aware of corner stations, other traffic, etc. Once you DO get comfortable on track (freeing up even more "spare cycles") you can start to apply the reserve brainpower to refining and tidying up your line; starting to shave the "slop" from a 10' lane to a 7' lane, and then eventually from a lane to a late-apex line. To do any of that, though, you need to be comfortable, and that simply comes with time.
That's an interesting idea. Up until now, I've been "computing" the line as literally a line. Now what I would be doing is "computing" a line with a considerable width, and putting the car somewhere near the center of it.

I might wind up doing precisely that. I think I'm first going to try the more "traditional" approach of learning the line so well that it becomes second nature, and doing what I can to become so intimately familiar with the track that I instantly know what's coming up based on where I am. But if that doesn't free up enough cycles, then I'll try the "wide lane" style line method.

The flip side, however, is that with the increased pace the more experienced drivers are able to run, when it does go pear-shaped, it goes pear-shaped in a big way. Where a novice might miss apex and wind up on the rumble strips, or even drop a tire or two into the dirt, the same mistake at 90+% will put the car into a tire wall or Aarmco.
This is why I don't ever expect to consistently drive terribly near the limits of the car -- just to give me that little bit of extra safety margin, if nothing else. But I would like to learn how my car handles at the limits if it's possible to do so without a significant risk of bending metal.

If you keep your speeds lower until you have the concepts and execution pretty much down, you CAN do this very safely, since you're retaining a relatively large safety margin. With repetition and refinement, you can also safely start shaving that margin, and as a result, you will go faster. The biggest key is to not get frustrated and impatient. Focus on the long-game, and your eventual goals, whatever they may be. I would strongly suggest NOT focusing on lap times or ratio of passing vs. passed. Focus on safety first, then fun.
Interestingly enough, I've dispensed with the idea of recording lap times from the very beginning. I know from my experience with the "driving simulator" that if I pay attention to lap times, then I wind up "chasing" my performance, and eventually stuff the "car" into the "wall". I love my car way too much to risk that, so I'm not going to go there.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
As you have identified previously, though, the differences between a game and the real deal are legion.

This is very true! It's a very different experience. Just feeling the G forces provides a massive amount of feedback that simply isn't there in the game.

So it's possible that in the game, I'm having to concentrate more on what I'm doing in order to make up for the lack of sensory cues. That's a most interesting prospect.

Okay, now I really can't wait for the next track event!
icon10.gif

I don't see how that would happen... everything we've been talking about happens AFTER the braking zone is over and done with. Are you trying to think too far ahead? Keep it linear.... Brake-->turn-in--(throttle steer as necessary to hit your)-->track out.
That's entirely possible.

Okay, so let me ask you this. Let's say you're approaching the braking zone of a corner. Where would you put your eyes at each point through the corner?

By the way, thanks so much for taking so much time to help me out with this! Makes me wish you were here on the west coast so I could select you as my instructor!
icon7.gif

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
OK, makes sense.

So maybe, what's going on here is that I'm simply being overwhelmed with the speed of it all, even when driving it "slowly".

Our little crew of instructors calls that "situational overload," and it's actually extremely common. Speeds are up, control inputs are violent compared to "normal" driving, nobody is paying attention to that "100' per 10mph" following interval they teach in drivers ed., some guy in a box is waving a colored piece of cloth at me, and on top of it all, I have some stranger in the right seat is barking commands at me in a language that I don't understand! I mean, really, what does he mean by "feed the wheel" or "roll into the gas?" And even though he's chanting "stay in the gas! Stay in the gas!" if I don't hit the brakes, like NOW, we're both going to burst into flames, flip over, and fly off the edge of the track!!! Believe it or not, the above was NOT made up! Not one of MY students, of course...:whistling:

When I'm taking a bend on the highway, I do look at the bend, but because such things are usually constant radius, I'm not having to look there all the time. I have "spare cycles" to use on other things.

Sounds like on the track, it's going to be a question of figuring out how to do the same thing.

So that raises some interesting questions, such as: what should I do when the turn is an increasing-radius or decreasing-radius one?
icon10.gif
Drop back five yards and punt? J/K. Seriously, increasing radius corners are the easiest, just keep adding more and more throttle to push you wide to exit. Decreasing is a challenge (I hate 'em too!!), and one fairly successful approach is to just square it off. Drive in deep, get it turned in to hit the apex, and then WAIT to add throttle. It also sometimes helps to start entry a bit in from the edge of the track to chop some of the decreasing part off. Executing properly is really an exercise in extended trail-braking, and I don't have the patience for that...

I honestly have no idea how consistent I can be at that, but I'm not expecting too much on that front. There's a reason I continuously look at what I'm doing when I'm doing it, and it's not just for fun. It's almost certainly in order to compensate for something, and that something may be consistency.

But I expect this is one of those things that only experience will show one way or the other.
It's absolutely ALL about experience. Eventually, you'll find a groove, or a rhythm that you'll drop into, and looking back, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. At least that's my hope.

My "passport" has the following scores:

• Adapting to instruction: 7
  • Driving proper line: 7
  • Smooth inputs: 8
  • Comfort in traffic: 6
  • Session improvement: 10
  • Good attitude: 10
  • Flag recognition: 9
  • Group meeting attendance: 10

I've no idea whether the above is indicative of anything that can be used here, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's meaningful to you in some useful way.
Yup, that all pretty much confirms what we've been talking about. The "comfort in traffic" thing is probably indicative of you tipping in and out of situational overload. Honestly, pretty decent marks overall!

My approach is indeed safety first. I've found through this experience that I can have fun even if I'm driving the course relatively "slowly". Just because I'm going "slow" doesn't mean I can't attack the corners with gusto.
icon10.gif
Exactly right. Once your comfort level starts going up, and you start trusting the car and yourself, I think your pace will shift from "slow" to "reasonable" in fairly short order.

...whether I'm changing my steering input or my throttle input, I'm still having to make a change, and that means I'm having to exert conscious effort for it. As such, I'm not sure I see much difference between controlling my line through steering and controlling it through the throttle, although I must admit that I like the idea of having both options available simultaneously...
Right. Think of a wheel correction as a coarse correction, and throttle steering as a fine correction. Consider it from a standpoint of weight transfer. ANY wheel motion is going to move a bunch of weight around from side to side, and as you approach traction limits at higher speeds, it becomes FAR too easy to over-correct. Throttle steering is a lot more subtle, with the bulk of the weight transfer being longitudinal, with a small lateral component. Going back to the force vectors, you drift the car back and forth with throttle steering, rather than loading/unloading the suspension.

That's an interesting idea. Up until now, I've been "computing" the line as literally a line. Now what I would be doing is "computing" a line with a considerable width, and putting the car somewhere near the center of it.
Or ANYWHERE in it! Yes, toward the center would be best, but if you keep it SOMEWHERE in that lane, and your speeds reasonable, you'll come out clean at exit. As you refine and narrow that "lane," speeds can come up to reflect the reduced error margin. The point here is to take "cycles" away from executing the corner perfectly and re-allocate them towards better situational awareness at the expense of a minor reduction in ultimate performance potential.

I might wind up doing precisely that. I think I'm first going to try the more "traditional" approach of learning the line so well that it becomes second nature, and doing what I can to become so intimately familiar with the track that I instantly know what's coming up based on where I am. But if that doesn't free up enough cycles, then I'll try the "wide lane" style line method.
Sounds like a plan to me!

This is why I don't ever expect to consistently drive terribly near the limits of the car -- just to give me that little bit of extra safety margin, if nothing else. But I would like to learn how my car handles at the limits if it's possible to do so without a significant risk of bending metal.
When I study a track (and I do before every event!) one of the key items I assess is "bail out room" for each corner. I mentally assume that I am going to have a SPECTACULAR off (missed apex, soft brakes, ran out of talent) in each corner, and develop an exit strategy for minimizing bodywork. Not every corner has a bail-out area! For those, I consider them high-risk, and add in just that little bit more safety margin that I wouldn't reserve on others. There are also some where there are acres of grass between the edge of the track and anything hard, so I might be willing to "force a pass" or push that little bit harder there. If you want to experiment with pushing, pick a corner with a LOT of nice, smooth runoff... Or do some autocrossing, or find a big empty parking lot... Lots of options.

Interestingly enough, I've dispensed with the idea of recording lap times from the very beginning. I know from my experience with the "driving simulator" that if I pay attention to lap times, then I wind up "chasing" my performance, and eventually stuff the "car" into the "wall". I love my car way too much to risk that, so I'm not going to go there.
Nicely said!

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
This is very true! It's a very different experience. Just feeling the G forces provides a massive amount of feedback that simply isn't there in the game.

So it's possible that in the game, I'm having to concentrate more on what I'm doing in order to make up for the lack of sensory cues. That's a most interesting prospect.

Okay, now I really can't wait for the next track event!
icon10.gif

Uh-oh.... the needle is DEEP in the vein now!:evillaugh:

Okay, so let me ask you this. Let's say you're approaching the braking zone of a corner. Where would you put your eyes at each point through the corner?
Where do I put my eyes? Or where do I tell my students to look? Two different things, and I'll explain later... Here's where you should be looking....

Approaching braking zone, quick mirror check, corner station check, then focus on your braking point, and the instant you commit (start to pull your foot off the gas), shift your eyes up to your turn-in point.
At the point where you start to turn the wheel in, lift your eyes up and over to your track-out point. Use peripheral vision to track A) progress towards apex (may have to flick vision there to confirm)*, and B) scan through exit for traffic, debris, flags, etc.
At apex, look LONG down the exit of the corner, for traffic, debris, etc. Use peripheral and parallax vision to track your progress towards the edge of the track at exit. I'm a BIG believer in developing habits in my students. Do something the same way every time and it becomes muscle memory, freeing up attention for more important things, like not hitting stuff. Vision is one of the last things that I work on students with, though, normally. Line first, then braking, then steering, then throttle, then vision, then back to the top and start refining. All that can take from a few sessions, to a day, to a weekend, to never. It all depends on the student's aptitude, comfort level, and ability to process at a fairly rapid pace.

* Now the way that I teach cornering is based on the "single input" concept, so it really only takes a quick flick of the eyes perhaps midway between turn-in and apex to confirm your arc if you're not getting the right peripheral cues (Hmm, this doesn't feel right). Maybe 100mS total. Don't study it. "Am I close?" If yes, great, eyes back to exit. If not, then and only then, keep your attention on apex and correct. Usually if you're not on, it's going to take a wheel motion to correct and your corner is blown. Use the eye-flick verification if the corner just doesn't "feel" right.

Now, what I do is a little different... Most of the tracks that I race on are ones that I have hundreds of laps on (4-hour enduros will do that!), and I've gotten very used to peripheral cues for location. I also have an experientially-developed "sense of location" and decent muscle memory, and as a result, I keep my head on a swivel. I don't try to "teach" that, and I also don't really advocate it, either, other than to say that when you're in heavy traffic (trying to pass two Miatas on a double-apex sweeper while simultaneously being hounded by a Daytona Prototype, for example) that level of situational awareness keeps me comfortable pushing race-pace while also keeping my head in the tactical and strategic game. I did a night-time enduro, and T1 (180* triple-apex carousel) was a bitch with just regular headlights and no apex lighting. As you thunder past pit lane (125-128mph) your night vision is destroyed by the work lighting, and while you can see your brake and turn-in points in the headlights just fine, the first apex is in an ink-black sea of darkness. On more than one occasion, I will admit to having closed my eyes and visualized my progress, then opened them just hoping to see a track-out berm... Would I suggest a student do that? HELL NO!!!

I'm in a bit of a different situation than you or any HPDE-style driver. When I'm racing, it's all about identifying the cars around me, defending from an in-class pass but letting faster classes by with minimal impact on my pace, as well as simultaneously attacking the car in front (in class or not)! Driving like that requires a somewhat different mental approach...

By the way, thanks so much for taking so much time to help me out with this! Makes me wish you were here on the west coast so I could select you as my instructor!
icon7.gif
No sweat. NASA has a pretty stellar instructor training program, so I'm sure you're in good hands.:beer:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back