First Impressions with Boss Intake Manifold

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I installed my Boss 302 Intake Manifold last night, and am thoroughly impressed with the fit and finish as well as the performance!

IMG_0335.jpg

The install took roughly 1.5 hours, but I could knock it out in an hour if I did another one.

I followed the install write up from Jarrod at Latemodel Restoration found here:

http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/arch...ford-racing-boss-302-intake-installation.aspxhttp://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54505

The instructions were spot on. The only exception I found is that you don't need a 3/8" fuel and a/c disconnect tool to separate the fuel line from the rails.

You'll also need to decide how you want to mount the purge valve as it needs to be relocated for the Boss Manifold. You can use the option which is outlined in the write-up linked above for around $10, or you can opt to purchase the $200+ kit from Ford which will give you the OEM hose and bracket, but it will also require that you extend the harness for the purge valve. Latemodel Restoration also carries a kit to do the DIY relocation for $10. I of course ordered the DIY kit from LRS with the Manifold and saved myself a trip to the auto parts store.

The manifold itself sits quite a bit taller than it appears in pictures. It's just about as tall as the Saleen blower on the 3V. Looks damn good too!

IMG_0334.jpg

I'm running the JLT Cold Air and a JLT Oil Separator. Both fit beautifully in this application. I had heard of others claiming there was a dip in the intake path between the cold air intake and the throttle body, but I have no such thing after spending a little bit of time adjusting everything to fit just right.

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

I had expected to lose a little bit of power below the curve, but gain substantially above 6500 rpms. At least this is what's come to be expected with mild N/A set ups. I thought my 3.73's would make up for the low end loss, but unfortunately I can still feel a slight loss on the low end.

The power up top is great and more than makes up for any low-end losses. It just keeps pulling way past redline! "How far do you dare to take it" is what this intake has me thinking!

This leads me to where I may be headed next...

4.10's and a 1-piece drive shaft!

I really feel like the two of these mods will make up for the low end loss, and will also aid in keeping those rpms up.

The one downside here is my clutch is starting to slip. I'm thinking of going with Ram or Mcleod. What are you guys running? I will be getting a Procharger in the not-to-distant future, so I'll need it to hold up to 700 rwhp. I don't plan to take it that far just yet, but I'd rather have it if need be.

Cliff Notes: Badass intake manifold! Looks mean and acts mean! Simple install and immediate results! Still has me needing more...

IMG_0347.jpg

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Ram clutch here and if you do decide to hit the 1/4 mile often, I wouldn't recommend anything taller than a 3.90 gear for a N/A car. In practicality, since you are planning on a blower a 3.55 may suit you best. Just a thought.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ram clutch here and if you do decide to hit the 1/4 mile often, I wouldn't recommend anything taller than a 3.90 gear for a N/A car. In practicality, since you are planning on a blower a 3.55 may suit you best. Just a thought.

I don't plan to go all that often, but even if I go occasionally crossing in 5th may be a pain in the ass! It's the main concern for changing over for me.

3.90's wouldn't net much of a difference, so I can't justify the costs. Gears and transmissions are the 2 things I don't touch, so I'd have to consider install costs as well.

I run 4.10's in my Kenne Bell '05, and everyone said it was too much gear back when I got them too.

In actuality, I'll probably end up getting the clutch next and holding off on the gears until I'm ready for the FI. For now it's the ProCharger, but who knows...maybe I'll go turbo with this one.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I don't plan to go all that often, but even if I go occasionally crossing in 5th may be a pain in the ass! It's the main concern for changing over for me.

3.90's wouldn't net much of a difference, so I can't justify the costs. Gears and transmissions are the 2 things I don't touch, so I'd have to consider install costs as well.

I run 4.10's in my Kenne Bell '05, and everyone said it was too much gear back when I got them too.

In actuality, I'll probably end up getting the clutch next and holding off on the gears until I'm ready for the FI. For now it's the ProCharger, but who knows...maybe I'll go turbo with this one.

I was in the same thought of possibly going with a ProCharger but the PD blowers are cleaning house. 9 sec. cars with the Ford Whipple and Roush blowers. The centri cars are having a hard time keeping up with them. Not much price diff. in the Roush compared to the PC and with a smaller pulley and good tune.....just starts getting silly.

Justinjor

JUIC3D
Reaction score
Car looks amazing! Thanks for the write-up and pictures. I'm thinking the Boss mani, intake, and tune will be the first mods for me.
The valve covers look trick as well. Do you have pics of the write-up for them or did you get them powdercoated. I can't really tell from these pictures but I'm leaning on the latter.
Thanks again

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice Nick! Did you get a new tune for it? From who?

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Sweet! Your ride is looking nicer and nicer Nick! I'm very impressed with your write up too.

I think Nick has a Lund tune right now. Don't know if he went with the same guy for the Intake tune, but for some reason, I was thinking he did.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Car looks amazing! Thanks for the write-up and pictures. I'm thinking the Boss mani, intake, and tune will be the first mods for me.
The valve covers look trick as well. Do you have pics of the write-up for them or did you get them powdercoated. I can't really tell from these pictures but I'm leaning on the latter.
Thanks again

Sorry, but I don't have any write up for the covers. I pulled them off, wiped them off well and laid them down on a piece of cardboard. I sprayed about 5 or 6 even coats of Rustoleum Old Ford Blue on them and slapped them back on. I waited about 15 minutes between each coat. Really cheap and easy mod anybody can do.

Nice Nick! Did you get a new tune for it? From who?

Thanks bro! Jon Lund gave me an updated tune for the Boss Intake. I can't tell you how happy I am with his communication and his tune! Great guy! Killer turn around time too!

Sweet! Your ride is looking nicer and nicer Nick! I'm very impressed with your write up too.

I think Nick has a Lund tune right now. Don't know if he went with the same guy for the Intake tune, but for some reason, I was thinking he did.

Thanks Tom! I figured I'd give an unbiased opinion on it. The more I drive it, the less I'm concerned about the low end loss. It is a blast to drive hard let me tell you!

The weather is getting much better, so hopefully I can find some time to get out to the track. I'm dying to see what I can run.

I should be able to get an 11 sec slip with this setup, if I get some drag radials.

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Looks bad ass Nick. Glad everything went well. Im ready for my car to get here. I must admit, I'm a little jealous.

mpf

forum member
Reaction score
Great write-up & fotos.
Oh, whose hood props are those? Really get it up in the air..

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jarrod! Always a great transaction when dealing with you!

No need to be jealous, your '12 will be a hell of a beast!

mpf, I'm running the MRT hood struts. An often overlooked mod, but I couldn't live without them. They are a 10 minute install and make under hood jobs so much easier.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks bro! Jon Lund gave me an updated tune for the Boss Intake. I can't tell you how happy I am with his communication and his tune! Great guy! Killer turn around time too!

Jon is good people. :thumb:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

good deal

Jon is good people. :thumb:

yes he is, been great working with him on the Shelby

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nick your car is really turning out to be an amazing piece of work. Style and performance. You can't beat that.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
mpf, I'm running the MRT hood struts. An often overlooked mod, but I couldn't live without them. They are a 10 minute install and make under hood jobs so much easier.

Hmmm. I think I see a new mod coming in pretty soon! Who did you order those from? Link?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back